• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Action to rule it all?

corsairpilot62

Flying Lottery Machine Winner!
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
The Twilight Zone
Hello folks, I recently came across a remington 700 chambered in 300wm in an AI AICS chassis/stock. (gun has not arrived at ffl yet) if possible i'd like to rechamber to 338 lapua. if it is impossible I'll stay with 300wm. I'm still new to precision shooting. more or less just a guy who loves guns. I'm wondering on which action to get. if it stays 300wm i'll go with Stiller and make a MK13 clone. however if the aics long action will take lapua size magazines (3.850 I think) I am stuck between the following.

Defiance Deviant tactical - from what i've read seems to be almost the standard and well loved. (also kinda looks like the AI AT dont ya think)

Terminus Zeus - I mean why be stuck with having to choose one caliber and very close to deviant.

Cadex Defense CDX-R7 - looks awesome but weird...also 700 footprint.

All of these should just drop into the chassis.

I plan on getting a Bartlein 27in Medium Heavy Barrel and an Area 419 Sidewinder brake if 338LM
All are most like great choices and have their own pros and cons.
looking forward to your insight!

If you want a 338LM, build a 338LM. Don't build a multi caliber switch barrel setup unless you REALLY want to run something else on the same setup. Typically it ends up being a pain in the ass unless the system was built around that concept like the MRAD or AI's offering.

do you have a range suitable for the .338?
Do you reload?
Do you know how much it costs to shoot a .338?
This seems like a completely clusterfucked way to go about putting a rifle together.
What are your intentions for shooting this thing?
Has the remington action been worked on?
If memory serves, The original MK13 was built on a Remington receiver (not positive).

Do you reload?
This seems like a completely clusterfucked way to go about putting a rifle together.
If memory serves, The original MK13 was built on a Remington receiver (not positive).
^This. This guy gets it.

I don’t understand your buying a Remington 700 in 300wm and you wanna make it a 338 LM and buy a Stiller etc
You shouldn’t make a 338LM from a Remington 700 even though I suppose it can be done. You could use a Stiller to build a 338Lm. The other actions are good too.

Reactions: DJL2
I can understand wanting those rifles. I’d give that Remington 700 in 300wm a chance. Buy new aftermarket stock/chassis, trigger, and glass for it. Save the parts you take off because you might need them later. Build your custom rig after you get a better feel of what you like and what works best for you.

Reactions: lash and Matt_3479
I would shoot and load the win mag first to see if you really need that much cartridge. Load a heavy, high BC bullet in the win mag and that will get you a long, long way if your a decent shooter.
What type of shooting are you wanting to do and at what distance? What calibers are you shooting now?
What is the max range you have available to shoot?
I personally don't see needing a win mag let alone a 338 unless I'm hunting a large animal or shooting out past 1000y regularly.

Do you reload?
I do have a range somewhat suitable for 338. 1200yards.
I do not reload but looking into it.
Yes i know 338lm is crazy expensive even prior to the ammo madness.
I admit it my “bright ideas” are a clusterfuck.
Purpose for rifle would mainly be range and possibly a few hunting trips for elk.
unkown if remington has been worked on. Looks like factory barrel.

I do have a range somewhat suitable for 338. 1200yards.
I do not reload but looking into it.
Yes i know 338lm is crazy expensive even prior to the ammo madness.
I admit it my “bright ideas” are a clusterfuck.
Purpose for rifle would mainly be range and possibly a few hunting trips for elk.
unkown if remington has been worked on. Looks like factory barrel.

Then yea..... Skip the 338lm 300 prc all day

I don’t understand your buying a Remington 700 in 300wm and you wanna make it a 338 LM and buy a Stiller etc
You shouldn’t make a 338LM from a Remington 700 even though I suppose it can be done. You could use a Stiller to build a 338Lm. The other actions are good too.
What im asking is which action to replace the remington. I want to use the aics stock for the 338lm and put the 300wm in a factory stock i have lying around. Mainly bought this rifle for the aics

Custom action designed for the 338 Surgeon 1581XL .

What no recommendation for an mrad?

Honestly surgeon actions are very blase imo. There bolt stop is their weakness on the ones I have had.

Much better out there now if your going to do a 300 prc but that's up to you. I'm a huge fan of integrated recoil lugs and integrated 20 moa top rails. With a 20moa mount you will have plenty of travel with most scopes to get out past a mile.

Or sell it off in parts and then spend a bit more than you were going to spend and get the new Hoplite ASPIS in .338LM or such.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
What no recommendation for an mrad?

Honestly surgeon actions are very blase imo. There bolt stop is their weakness on the ones I have had.

Much better out there now if your going to do a 300 prc but that's up to you. I'm a huge fan of integrated recoil lugs and integrated 20 moa top rails. With a 20moa mount you will have plenty of travel with most scopes to get out past a mile.
If he was going to battle then yes I would of recommended the MRAD, but if it just for target then any 700 I guess would work or Savage,AI, Ruger ..

I think we all have been trying to figure out which 1 action is better then the rest for some time now and general consensus is everyone has there own opinion or most people haven’t had the opportunity to handle, own or shoot enough variety to compare, which is my case as well but I’m working on trying my hardest to own as many different custom actions as me and my buddy can. Right now we have 8 different ones, 10 total, and 11 with the one sold. From what I can tell you they all have there benefits. Depending on prices points a few things change. What I can tell you, is get what you want or you won’t be happy regardless

Reactions: candyx
I suppose this horse is dead... but, I'm gonna smack it once or twice anyway. This is worth what you paid...

You don't buy a rifle for the chassis and scrap the action/barrel. Sweet lord, that's as backwards as you can get. You buy the barreled action you want and find a chassis/stock -OR- you buy the action you want and start bolting parts on it as required. The AICS chassis isn't exactly inexpensive, either... if you know you like/want it, awesome. Bottom line, there is no universe in which "Man, I'd really like a .338 Lapua... guess I'll buy a .300 Win Mag and scrap everything but the stock" makes sense (to me). On the bright side... at least you're not trying to swap a "The Fix" in .308 Win to 8.6 whatever the fuck.

.338 Lapua is either waaaay overkill for 1200 yards... or, if you're shooting through body armor at that range, exactly what NSW Crane wanted it for (IIRC). Paper or steel? No need whatsoever unless you're just want to ensure your shoulder stays toned and your wallet light. ;-)

I suppose this horse is dead... but, I'm gonna smack it once or twice anyway. This is worth what you paid...

You don't buy a rifle for the chassis and scrap the action/barrel. Sweet lord, that's as backwards as you can get. You buy the barreled action you want and find a chassis/stock -OR- you buy the action you want and start bolting parts on it as required. The AICS chassis isn't exactly inexpensive, either... if you know you like/want it, awesome. Bottom line, there is no universe in which "Man, I'd really like a .338 Lapua... guess I'll buy a .300 Win Mag and scrap everything but the stock" makes sense (to me). On the bright side... at least you're not trying to swap a "The Fix" in .308 Win to 8.6 whatever the fuck.

.338 Lapua is either waaaay overkill for 1200 yards... or, if you're shooting through body armor at that range, exactly what NSW Crane wanted it for (IIRC). Paper or steel? No need whatsoever unless you're just want to ensure your shoulder stays toned and your wallet light. ;-)
Your thinking is sound. I shall try to explain the madness that is my brain. So i am a left handed shooter and this rifle was the first time ive ever seen an actual aics in left hand, Not just photos. Like OMG ITS ALIVE! So i jumped on it without even thinking about the action.
now the 338 lapua fasicnation does come from videos games not gonna lie. But 300wm will do everything i need from this rifle. It does have a pretty thin sporter barrel though.
so the thought process was sorta well i got the chassis and this rifle. I’ll take the barreled action put that into a synthetic 700bdl stock i have lying around (a take off from another 700 that i bought a wooden stock for) And boom i have an aics chassis so now what do i want to build oh i know either a mk13 build or can i fit 338lapua mags in the long action chassis? If so what about a long range rifle with a custom action.
Like i said before my “bright ideas” are well a dumpster fire
Thanks for the post. I honestly like seeing/reading different perspectives cause most of the time ill walk away having learned something.

Reactions: DJL2
Well... that's a bit convoluted to me... but, hell... I suppose that's one way to start a two gun project. I won't be the guy that tells you that you don't need two guns, especially not if you want them both. If you're willing to do your share and then some to support the sport and the folks making the products we all enjoy, get after it (stay after it?).

What im asking is which action to replace the remington. I want to use the aics stock for the 338lm and put the 300wm in a factory stock i have lying around. Mainly bought this rifle for the aics
That makes since sorry about my misunderstanding. I’m sure you already know it’s a beast and expensive to shoot.
Any of those actions that have the Remington long action footprint that the manufacturer says is compatible with a 338LM should be fine. I’d go with defiance or bighorn but I’m sure there’s othe good ones.

ARC Mausingfield. Replaceable bolt heads in the 5 most common sizes. Order a long action with .540 & .585 bolt heads and you can have both .338 Lapua, 300 prc, & any of at least a dozen other cartridges. Then, however, you need barrels for them and you need to feed the beast. But the potential is there

Reactions: kthomas
For 1200 yards i do believe 338 is just over bore. I would just do another 300 win mag barrel on a custom action i like the arc nuke alot. But 300 win mag is hard to beat easy to find 300 prc is harder. And im not convinced its that much better as long as you get proper free bore on the 300 win mag. We shoot 300 win mags out past 1 mile.

1200 yards is 6.5 creedmoor territory.
You want extra pop, since you have a magnum bolt face, go 6.5 PRC.
1200 yards is a chip shot for the 6.5 PRC.
You can also build a .300 Norma Magnum and shoot the high BC 30 cal bullets more efficiently than you can with the 300 WM.

I don't know 1/10th of all the previous posters but, If you do a 338, do an improved version. Also, you're not going to mag feed 10 rounds in 90 seconds at some PMS match. Single shot is the way to go. DON'T do a Remington action, you'll want a beefier bitch (lug set back).Yeah it's expensive to feed but considering it wont be a high volume rig it's really not bad. As far as distance to shoot, 100% agree, what ya got? Smart!
I was on a 375 / 416 pursuit until that question was posed. I only have a bit over 2000 yards close to me. Yeah, 300 grains at 3100 makes a mark. Straight 338 doesn't beat a 300PRC.

i suppose my question is, with a range available of 1200 yards, why not just have a smith clean up the action, put a nice 300WM barrel on it and call it good. 300 WM is the most readily available round/ components/ reloading equipment and the least expensive of all the rounds mentioned.

If it works, does the job, why fix it?

i suppose my question is, with a range available of 1200 yards, why not just have a smith clean up the action, put a nice 300WM barrel on it and call it good. 300 WM is the most readily available round/ components/ reloading equipment and the least expensive of all the rounds mentioned.

If it works, does the job, why fix it?
I’m with you man. I hope you can understand me but I think I got it
He told me he wanted a 338LM but bought the r700 300wm in a Aics chassis in hopes of finding a different action that’ll fit in his Aics chassis and can handle a 338LM. Then he buys whichever action that is and has a barrel chambered and installed then drop the barreled action in his Aics chassis. He also plans to put the remy barreled action in 300wm in a old stock he has.
At the end he wants to have a 338LM in his Aics chassis and a Remington 700 300wm in a stock. I think
Not a bad backup plan but it’s the long way to getting 2 rifles. I suggest that he keeps the Remington 700 300wm in the Aics chassis and build/have built a complete 2nd rig in 338LM. A little trigger time and he’ll probably have a better idea of what he wants. Hell im excited for the fella. I think we all still want one of everything when we go to the Gun store.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Hello folks, I recently came across a remington 700 chambered in 300wm in an AI AICS chassis/stock. (gun has not arrived at ffl yet) if possible i'd like to rechamber to 338 lapua. if it is impossible I'll stay with 300wm. I'm still new to precision shooting. more or less just a guy who loves guns. I'm wondering on which action to get. if it stays 300wm i'll go with Stiller and make a MK13 clone. however if the aics long action will take lapua size magazines (3.850 I think) I am stuck between the following.

Defiance Deviant tactical - from what i've read seems to be almost the standard and well loved. (also kinda looks like the AI AT dont ya think)

Terminus Zeus - I mean why be stuck with having to choose one caliber and very close to deviant.

Cadex Defense CDX-R7 - looks awesome but weird...also 700 footprint.

All of these should just drop into the chassis.

I plan on getting a Bartlein 27in Medium Heavy Barrel and an Area 419 Sidewinder brake if 338LM
All are most like great choices and have their own pros and cons.
looking forward to your insight!
Why not a .338 Norma? More efficient, designed around the 300 grain bullets. Lapua is a very dated design around 250 grain bullets.

Reactions: Average guy
At the end he wants to have a 338LM in his Aics chassis and a Remington 700 300wm in a stock
this! was orginal idea yes! and then which action to use for 338lm. although reading the comments i think i will have a smith rebarrel and make a mk13 clone. i hunt elk with a winchester 70 in 300wm. so i definitly do like the cartrige.

note- edited due to me fat fingering and accidently sending it not finished.

Then yea..... Skip the 338lm 300 prc all day
I'd just shoot the 300WM.

Then again 1200yds is well within the range of something like the 6.5CM/260Rem and either would be cheaper to shoot and have much less recoil.

I sold my 300WM because I don't get over 1K much. The 260Rem load I use is still supersonic at 1200yds.

Reactions: Silvan
this! was orginal idea yes! and then which action to use for 338lm. although reading the comments i think i will have a smith rebarrel and make a mk13 clone. i hunt elk with a winchester 70 in 300wm. so i definitly do like the cartrige.

note- edited due to me fat fingering and accidently sending it not finished.
You’re close to having a mk13 clone with what you bought. Just find a mars rail system and it should look like some mk13’s or damn close. I’d wait to see if it needs a new barrel. Buy good glass or at least decent glass like Athlon Cronus or leupold mk5 and shoot what you have. Like what you wanted evolved over this thread, the same thing will happen as you shoot and talk with & see what others have. It’s a process and you can end up buying stuff you don’t want or need if you jump out there and start buying everything

You’re close to having a mk13 clone with what you bought. Just find a mars rail system and it should look like some mk13’s or damn close. I’d wait to see if it needs a new barrel. Buy good glass or at least decent glass like Athlon Cronus or leupold mk5 and shoot what you have. Like what you wanted evolved over this thread, the same thing will happen as you shoot and talk with & see what others have. It’s a process and you can end up buying stuff you don’t want or need if you jump out there and start buying everything
This tread has been a good read for me. I am thinking i’ll just rebarrel the remy. The PRI night vision rail looks really close to the mars rail. Have a nightforce nxs that i traded an sw500 for. Probably gonna try to make it look real nice…except spray painting it…i suck at painting things.

1200 yards is 6.5 creedmoor territory
We were out at the range last week, several of the shooters next to us were running 6.5/6 Creedmoors.
All of them were complaining they couldn't spot many of their impacts at 1K and beyond- and one group of them had a dedicated spotter with NF glass.

Nor could we spot our impacts at one mile with .338 LM, and at 1200 with a 7-08 despite the above spotter helping us, AND a long-range Bullseye camera system that had a lousy refresh rate. No issues spotting .338 impacts at 1200.

The more energy you have at impact the easier it is to spot it, whether it be mirage or wet sand that barely kicks up a signature.

In my book, nothing is more frustrating than not being able to spot your misses when conditions are tough. Might as well pack up the drag bags and go home (and we have) rather than throwing a few dollar bills on the ground with every shot.

Me, if I'm building a dedicated ELR rifle- it's gonna have plenty of ass. I want every advantage not just in getting the bullet there- but being able to see it when arrives. For those that shoot small calibers at these ranges, and don't have issues related to spotting more power to ya. Location and composition of the berm probably makes a difference one way or the other as well.

Reactions: KZP
We were out at the range last week, several of the shooters next to us were running 6.5/6 Creedmoors.
All of them were complaining they couldn't spot many of their impacts at 1K and beyond- and one group of them had a dedicated spotter with NF glass.

Nor could we spot our impacts at one mile with .338 LM, and at 1200 with a 7-08 despite the above spotter helping us, AND a long-range Bullseye camera system that had a lousy refresh rate. No issues spotting .338 impacts at 1200.

The more energy you have at impact the easier it is to spot it, whether it be mirage or wet sand that barely kicks up a signature.

In my book, nothing is more frustrating than not being able to spot your misses when conditions are tough. Might as well pack up the drag bags and go home (and we have) rather than throwing a few dollar bills on the ground with every shot.

Me, if I'm building a dedicated ELR rifle- it's gonna have plenty of ass. I want every advantage not just in getting the bullet there- but being able to see it when arrives. For those that shoot small calibers at these ranges, and don't have issues related to spotting more power to ya. Location and composition of the berm probably makes a difference one way or the other as well.
Those must have been some awful spotting conditions because generally spotting hits and misses in my areas with a 6.5 at a mile is fairly routine except in the winter when everything is quite soggy.
My 7 mm and 338 are certainly easier to spot.

I may have missed it if it was mentioned, but 338lm and 300prc both require a CIP length magazine.

Your chassis MAY not be the right one for the longer mags.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Those must have been some awful spotting conditions because generally spotting hits and misses in my areas with a 6.5 at a mile is fairly routine except in the winter when everything is quite soggy.
My 7 mm and 338 are certainly easier to spot.
Down here in centex with all of our rain we have grass 6’ tall in some spots. I haven’t spotted a miss in 2 months :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
I assume by "AICS" and "mk13" with no Mod designation we're talking the old school thumb hole chassis (AICS 1.0,1.5 or 2.0?) and not the AT/AX aics chassis?

It has been several years since I thought about these so I might be wrong, but if memory serves me, there were 2 different long action legacy thumb hole AICS chassis systems (LA non-CIP and CIP). Might be worth measuring for piece of mind before you make the jump to 338Lapua or similar.

Also, If you have never handled the AICS, shoot it before you sink more money into it. Not as polarizing as the love it or hate AT/AX pistol grip, but they still aren't for everyone.

Reactions: jcmullis2
I assume by "AICS" and "mk13" with no Mod designation we're talking the old school thumb hole chassis (AICS 1.0,1.5 or 2.0?) and not the AT/AX aics chassis?

It has been several years since I thought about these so I might be wrong, but if memory serves me, there were 2 different long action legacy thumb hole AICS chassis systems (LA non-CIP and CIP). Might be worth measuring for piece of mind before you make the jump to 338Lapua or similar.

Also, If you have never handled the AICS, shoot it before you sink more money into it. Not as polarizing as the love it or hate AT/AX pistol grip, but they still aren't for everyone.
They offer a couple different chassis like you said. One for 338lm length cartridges and the standard Remington long action length cartridges and of course the SA. They were the Aics 2.0 folders with the thumbhole stock. Great looking rifles but not worth the cost imo.

Why would anyone chose 338 over 300nm
WTF...I'll bite...

Tell me why not. The differences are minimal, and then really dependent on application/range. I'll take the greater energy (and bigger hole) and improved throat life of the Lapua.