• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which annealer do you have?

whytlotus

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2008
Waukesha, WI
I'm thinking about purchasing a brass annealer. I'm leaning towards the Giraud, but would appreciate any info or feedback on other setups in use by members here.

I'm also considering buying a Giraud annealer. It looks very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used both but own a bench-source.

For precision shooting I might anneal as low as 20 cartridges or as many as several hundred and also have a large mix of calibers. In this case the bench source annealing system win hands down.

But if I was only going to anneal a couple cartridge types and had buckets and buckets of the same brass I would go the other way

The other trend is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^^ + 1 for Benchsource

Giraud. Very happy with mine.

From left to right. Factory Virgin Lapua 308, unannealed 6CM, annealed 6CM.

Using templaq, the inside of the case neck got to about 750' and the 450' zone did not extend more than 3/8 or so down below the annealed discoloration.

For the Giraud owners...

-How long does it take to pull the unit from its stoarge place and setup?
-How long does it take to switch the machine from one caliber to another (i.e .308 to .338)?

Thanks for the input.... for those using the Bench Source, what kind of mileage are you getting from the propane bottles?

I've got the Benchsource and very happy with it, very easy to do small batches. I'm running 400g propane tanks and after about 1000 pieces annealed so far on them they don't appear to have used much at all.

I am running the Bench Source system and really do like it. Extremely easy to setup, consistent, and you don't have to buy additional feeder plates unlike the Giraud. That being said, the automation of the Giraud would be nice. I can still crank out 1k + cases in a sitting on the Bench Source and not really mind at all while kicking back with a drink. Did 1250 .233 cases and 500 .308 cases last week and may do more this week, it's not really any big deal.

I am currently running the 1# Coleman canisters and would estimate that they will last about 4-5k (Big guess as I really don't check) cases depending on your time. I run the torches a bit closer to the cases to cut the time down and have not had any issues when checking with tempilaq.

My one suggestion is to convert over to a 20# BBQ propane tank if you're going to do large batches as it'll keep the torches with the most consistent supply of propane.

For the Giraud owners...

-How long does it take to pull the unit from its stoarge place and setup?
-How long does it take to switch the machine from one caliber to another (i.e .308 to .338)?

Five minutes tops to get it adjusted and running.

Conversions take maybe 2-3 minutes.

Giraud here. Love it. Setup is easy as it sits out on one of the tables. Takes maybe a couple minutes to set flame and timing. I'm not generally doing small batches. The last two batches the holder was full to the top twice over. We only run .308 and .260 right now so they use the same plates. Usually sitting in the room doing something else like trimming or throwing charges at the other table. I like the capacity and not having to sit there and put shells in one by one.

I use the giraud. I have buckets of brass to do and like the "automation". I converted it to accept 20lbs tanks for a super consistent flame and installing a potentiometer for easy adjustments to multiple calibers. I credit all of this to fellow Hide members, I'm just thankful to find guys much smarter than me with machines :)

I use the giraud. I have buckets of brass to do and like the "automation". I converted it to accept 20lbs tanks for a super consistent flame and installing a potentiometer for easy adjustments to multiple calibers. I credit all of this to fellow Hide members, I'm just thankful to find guys much smarter than me with machines :)

I just got mine delivered today. I would love to get info on how to perform those "upgrades".

I just got mine delivered today. I would love to get info on how to perform those "upgrades".

Search this on this site and read the thread. I didn't step up my throw away fittings, just cut them off, got a longer hose, and installed new fittings for the 20lbs tank. If you like, I can photograph my entire modification and post it up. I would like to splice off from the new regulator and run two annealers at once. C'mon, this is The Hide, that's how we roll.

Giraud annealing machine observations

Never used a Bench Source, I use Turtle Sniper's Giraud. That thing is the trick.

Even better when I drop the brass off and he delivers it annealed and beautifully polished. :cool:

Search this on this site and read the thread. I didn't step up my throw away fittings, just cut them off, got a longer hose, and installed new fittings for the 20lbs tank. If you like, I can photograph my entire modification and post it up. I would like to splice off from the new regulator and run two annealers at once. C'mon, this is The Hide, that's how we roll.

Giraud annealing machine observations
Please do. I will be getting a giraud soon also. Just got the trimmer.

Bench source here. Have set up ready to switch to a bbq tank, but still running strong on the original two mini tanks. Have annealed around 5k brass (308, 223, 260, 338lm) so far. It's been great!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My right thumb and forefinger. Factory original. Love the built in heat sensor, has never failed me. Priced right too.