• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AR? les baer, FN, DD, Sig.

tps3443

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2014
Hey everyone, I have been researching the AR platform for sometime now. This is my first AR. I would prefer to stay around $1500. I really just want something that is accurate, And semi-auto. I would like to hit targets at 500+ yards, and deer, or small game. I really liked the les baer ar guns, but ive heard.. they are nothing more than a standard AR quality gun, like a colt 6920 Etc. Etc. I really like FNH, they are reliable and all of my pistols are FNH.

Do I really need a super high end AR? FNH just recently released a FN 15 AR. It is about $900.00 but, has a $125.00 rebate. Should I just call it a day, and buy that for $775? It does have a broach cut barrel. And not a cold hammer forged steel barrel.

This gun is not for competition shooting, but plinking, and long range hunting, sniping varmint etc. Etc.

All advice is very appreciated! I am excited to get my first high end rifle, I did the same long research process, when I bought my FN 45 Tactical, and my FNS 40. Both are great. So, I do feel confident with a FN gun, even if it is run of the mill consumer grade mainstream quality AR. Im planning to put very nice glass on this rifle.

Ive looked at a Sig 716 308 AR

A FNH FNAR 308 rifle "not AR" but nice and accurate.

les baer police AR custom.

Daniel defense AR`s

FNH FN15 AR-15

I have had great success with my Barnes Precision AR. BPM Rifles
They are within your price range.

Ive also used the LT predaTAR at 1600 and its really an incredibly accurate and reliable platform as well.

Otherwise, what has been listed is reliable and worth your money as well.

Unless you are going to buy the les Baer ultimate varmit for around 2400
I would go with the rock river, dd or barnes. The rock and barnes will most likely group better than the dd but hard use reliability would be the dd

If you want a long range hunting semi auto, then you'll need to get away from the 5.56. It'll limit you to hunting medium game to maybe 200 yards.

I'd go with the following and get a cheap 5.56 upper, for your plinking pleasure.
https://secure.wf-api.com/www.preci...-1 6.5 Grendel--arion-6-5-grendel-type-i.html

I agree if you want to hunt bigger game @ 500 yards the 556 would not be my choice. Of the weapons you listed the SIG 716 would be my choice. Solid pick with decent accuracy.

Which AR?

If you want a long range hunting semi auto, then you'll need to get away from the 5.56. It'll limit you to hunting medium game to maybe 200 yards.

I'd go with the following and get a cheap 5.56 upper, for your plinking pleasure.
https://secure.wf-api.com/www.preci...-1 6.5 Grendel--arion-6-5-grendel-type-i.html

I agree if you want to hunt bigger game @ 500 yards the 556 would not be my choice. Of the weapons you listed the SIG 716 would be my choice. Solid pick with decent accuracy.

The new FN AR-15s are a great value and there is nothing at all wrong with them. The new DI Ruger is a good budget bet. Barnes, DD and BCM are quality ARs too, but then there is a long list of good ARs and not too many truly POS ARs. With the AR, it is all about features, and a company that will stand behind their product if their is an issue. Being your first, go with a recognized name with a good customer service record. Based on your post, I might push you towards a flat top upper and a free float tube. The rest of the picture is going to be a quality barrel and, likely, a trigger upgrade. The more of what you can get in what you buy, the less parts swapping you have to do.

For your purpose I would go with a Build Gun and use the BCM 410 SS Match Upper with the KMR Rail. Since you're hunting it'll be nice to have Stainless Barrel on top of the fact that it's a little more accurate. KMR Rail is the lightest on the Market which is good since you'll want all the weight savings you can get out of a Hunting/Carrier around rifle.

BCM is currently running a special if you buy a 16" any upper from them you'll get a complete BCG and a BCM Gunfight Comp for Free which is hell of a Deal! Go get yourself a Blem Lower and Parts kit of your choice with a nice two stage match trigger you'll still have $$$ left over for a nice Scope! Hope this helps bro!

BCM SS410™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ BCM KMR 13" Handguard 1/8 Twist

Baer AR's have outshot all others I have tried. If you do not like all the features consider getting a Baer barrel and BCG then build for the same accuracy. I like the KAC U&L's and accuracy is fine. Does not quite match a Baer.

5.56 with a fast twist and 77gr SMK will kill to 500 meters on med game every time and actually beyond that.

Kevin at HCS will make you up a MK 12 mod 1 clone that will shoot lights out with a Douglass barrel. Barrel will look like crap with a bore scope but shoot amazingly well.

Lots of good options out there. Have fun .

Hello tps3443, And Welcome to the Hide...

You have been given some good advice..but I think I know what you need, and I'm sure no one will disagree with me. Contact Compass Lake ENG and have them build you a match/varmint upper..they are top notch and shoot just as good as a Les Bear at half the price. When you make your order I would select the CLE Match chamber and the 22" Krieger barrel with the 1/7.7 twist, and that barrel will be perfect for the 77grn SMK to help you reach out.. Once you have that ordered get yourself a good lower .. Priced low to high I would pick these, PSA, MEGA, SEEKINS AMBI. Get a Geissele Hi-Speed Match Rifle Trigger (cry once and get the best) then pick out a good stock that fits you.

Complete CLE Match/Varmint Upper: $1,080.oo

Mega Arms Forged Billet Lower $120.oo

Geissele Trigger $250.oo

Small Parts Kit $20.oo

LUTH Adjustable AR15 Stock/and Buffer kit $ $180.oo

=1,650 and worth every penny! If you want to keep it at 1,500 get a A2 stock and a PSA Lower.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied. There are so many choices. And, here i am finding more and more high end AR manufacturers. I am considering spending more. I am really maxed out at $2500. I am going to sell my FNX 45 Tactical to help me get there. And keep my FNH, FNS 40 as my primary side arm. I do not shoot my FNX 45. But i shoot my fns 40 everyday. So this will give me more buying room.

So, AR10's And M4 rifles chambered in 308/ 7.62x51mm, I have looked at the P308 made by POF, it is a Gen4 model. This is a $2,500 gun. Is it really worth it?

Is it dumb to buy a $2,000 to $2,500 AR/M4 that is pre-built?

Pretty much with this POF P308 gen4, at $2,500 is this about the best a gun can be?

P308 POF, 20" barrel, magpul, billet, Stock gen4

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=444998584

Im still reading reviews, and learning more about AR's. I am new to AR/M4. And learning how to build it, or really whats needed.

Ive been building computers for 10 years, so I can see how easy it can become at building AR's with practice, and research, and mastering what is good, or bad, and what is the best, and what parts are just overpriced.

If this was a computer we were talking about and working with $2,500 i would be building for sure. lol.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied. There are so many choices. And, here i am finding more and more high end AR manufacturers. I am considering spending more. I am really maxed out at $2500. I am going to sell my FNX 45 Tactical to help me get there. And keep my FNH, FNS 40 as my primary side arm. I do not shoot my FNX 45. But i shoot my fns 40 everyday. So this will give me more buying room.

So, AR10's And M4 rifles chambered in 308/ 7.62x51mm, I have looked at the P308 made by POF, it is a Gen4 model. This is a $2,500 gun. Is it really worth it?

Is it dumb to buy a $2,000 to $2,500 AR/M4 that is pre-built?

Pretty much with this POF P308 gen4, at $2,500 is this about the best a gun can be?

Im still reading reviews, and learning more about AR's. I am new to AR/M4. And learning how to build it, or really whats needed.

Ive been building computers for 10 years, so I can see how easy it can become at building AR's with practice, and research, and mastering what is good, or bad, and what is the best, and what parts are just overpriced.

If this was a computer we were talking about and working with $2,500 i would be building for sure. lol.

Spend once Cry once. Totally overused but still true. If you are only going to hunt varmints then 5.56 is fine. If you plan to hunt anything bigger then look at a larger caliber as suggested. Don't get me wrong 5.56 will kill deer and pigs. I had five under 16 year old hunters for the Michigan youth hunt last weekend. All 5 shot deer, 3 with 5.56 and 2 with .243 Win. The longest shot was 140 yards with a .243 and the rest were within 60 yards. All were clean ethical kills with the farthest running 50 yards. I would not suggest a 5.56 on deer beyond 150 yards to be safe. Nothing worse than lost wounded game.

If you plan to hunt larger game at farther distances anything in the large frame AR10 works well but it is heavier. I am running a 6.5 Grendel as I have come to love the accuracy and throw weight of this caliber in the lightweight AR15 frame. Ammo is available in cheap steel target, match and custom hunting ammo. Mine is kind of high end but I have less than $2500 into it. You can get into a Grendel or 6.8 SPC for just a tad bit more than 5.56 for much less. Worth looking at. Here's mine. It is 3.5lbs less weight than my AR10 with optic.

You can have so much more if you build yourself or have someone build it for you. Once you have a truly custom rifle set up the with the parts you want you will never own another factory stick.

imagejpg6_zpsf751f218.jpg

imagejpg5_zps2afa13c6.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Danco is that a POF?

I do like the 6x45 grendell, and the 6.8 as well. I am planning to hunt wild boar at 300 to 800+ yards. So, a 308 should do fine.

I know 800 and 1,000 yards is a long shot. I use to shoot quite a bit with a .17HMR At 400+ yards, taking down rabbits. It took alot of practice to shoot it that far. I plan to practice quite a bit before attempting such a shot at a boar, or a deer.

What about 16" Vs. a 20" barrel?

I am thinkng the 20" is a no brainer option for long range, and the 16" is more versatile, easy carry in and out of woods.

I really love the POF P308 gen4. I think im done shopping lol.

Any objections?

Last edited:
Hey guys, ok so.. For my first AR-15, Im going to grab a FNH FN 15 Rifle. It has a 20" barrel, and its roughly $700 bucks new.
So, im going to buy one I found, and see how it goes with it. I may upgrade it. install some really nice glass on it.

Ive heard they are using the same build sheet as a Colt 6920.

Im really curious to see how it performs. I also found a lightly used one for $625.00, and it includes a bipod, and 400 rounds with it.

Maybe I can get 1 moa or less with it. I think i need to own a cheaper AR, learn about it, take it apart, see for my self what needs improvements on it. Then I can really build a good AR, or build off of this one, like a better trigger, and upper "barrel" can make anything good lol.

Plus, buying a whole gun for $600 vs. building a 2k custom AR. is well worth it for the learning curve.

FN has the rifle, and carbine. Im going with the 20" rifle in .223 as a good learning, practice gun.

If I was buying an AR10 today to hunt bigger game the best deal hands down is the POF P308 Gen3 Tanners is selling for $1399.00. I paid $2700 for mine 2 years ago and its a shooter. They got 300 at below wholesale cost and they are special edition with patriotic engraving and grey cerakote.

Here's mine which shoots right around .4" at 100yds and bangs a 12" plate at 800yds with ease. I even made a first round hit at 1000 this past weekend.

Last edited:
OP..If you buy the FNH-15 your just going to be wasting your money do to the fact you will want a better AR is a few months.

For your needs I recommend a Barnes Precision Machine(BPM). Well made and accurate out the box!

If I was buying an AR10 today to hunt bigger game the best deal hands down is the POF P308 Gen3 Tanners is selling for $1399.00. I paid $2700 for mine 2 years ago and its a shooter. They got 300 at below wholesale cost and they are special edition with patriotic engraving and grey cerakote.

Here's mine which shoots right around .4" at 100yds and bangs a 12" plate at 800yds with ease. I even made a first round hit at 1000 this past weekend.

Well, i was getting frustrated with all the brands. Im happy to see some body with a POF chime in.

This has pretty much said it all for me. The POF, is pretty much a custom built rifle right? It looks very high quality. And getting better than 1/2 MOA is fantastic also. If I am buying one now in late 2014 I mine as well get a Gen4, Im hunting a bargain now.

Yep the FN really is a waste. Im just all over the place really. It is a shame that FNH, released such a low end gun. I was expecting a $3,000 dollar millitary grade AR from them...

Daniel Defense is nice to, I am very confused with there slew of models though. They have so many.

Wow. Yes the FNH is obviously stupid to buy, if I am going to be regretting it. I guess i was just really all over the place with makes of so many types for the AR.

I really wanted someone to chime in with a POF. And getting .4 moa is awesome. This is pretty much a custom gun that is pre built for you. So thanks Padom, and every one else as well.

Im looking around for prices on a POF 308 Gen4. Getting one under $2,000 would be great.

Is there really a big difference in a gen3 vs. Gen4?

I haven't seen Gen4 under $2000. The Gen4 has the E2 chamber which is just evolution of what they had. I've never had a problem with my Gen3 and its got over 2000rds through it. You can't beat the Gen3 for $1399.99. That saves you around $1000 from the Gen4 to buy some good glass to put on it. I am getting between .40-.43 at 100 yds with hand loads. I was getting .65-.69 with factory Hornady 168amax and FGMM 175smk.

Im going tomorrow to look at a FNH Scar17S .7.62X51MM 16" rifle. The gun is lighly used, he is selling for financial reasons. And I might get a good deal here guys. This one is black, he mentioned it doesnt have a scratch on it.

Im in the $2,000 range, this is a beautiful 21st century platform.

Looks like the FN Scar17 it is. If the gun is mint like he says, $2,000 is fine. Im going to try for $1,800 of course. Who wouldnt. lol.

I am far from rich guys, and it has taken months of careful saving to afford my current guns, and future guns. FNH Scars are holding there value very well. So buying a Scar is a safe move, especially at this price point.

I love a AR! And a POF P308 is more accurate than a Scar17s, with a slew of parts out there for sale.

But the FNH is still under 1 MOA at 110yrds.

I cannot afford glass for a few weeks. But thats ok. It has really good Iron sights on there.

What are you guys thoughts on the Scar17S?

Last edited:
My thoughts are you need to take a deep breath and quit putting dollar signs in front of durability and accuracy . you mentioned les baer for 2500 dollars as being quality yet I have seen them with the with enough gap between the hand guard and gas block to easily damage the gas tube . fnh and colt a4 clones are not low quality . they are just not as pretty as some botique rifles .
shooting 500 yds at medium game with a 5.56 is asnine at the least if you do hit one more than likely you will lose the game or track blood for a long time . 200 yds with quality ammo yes an ethical kill is possible , done it myself many times . If your helbent for leather on a 5.56 the rock river ath hunter will do exactly what you want . for a 308 I would look at the dpms gen2 light weight hunter in 308 , they are not much bigger than an ar15 but will give you more horse power at longer range .

Op...I would seriously consider the 6.5 Grendel...hell I'll even sell you my Les Baer .264

Hey guys. I settled on (2) guns at a great price, I could not pass it up. I picked up a, FNH FNAR 7.62x51. 16" bull barrel rifle, the barrel was threaded by a custom shop. And the gun was brand new in the plastic in a hard case. This gun came with (5) magazines nib. (3) 20 rounders, and (2) ten rounders.

And I was able to get a FNH FN-15 Carbine slightly used. Roughly 300 rounds down the pipe. It has a 16" barrel as well, and came with (1) magazine.

I got both of these guns for $1,500 bucks. And I could not be happier !! And i did NOT SELL my FNX-45 Tactical.

I have a FNH AR-15 for short to medium range varmint.

And a FNH FNAR, for shooting out to 800 or 1,000 yards.

I was so blind about needing to buy the nicest AR out there. And the truth is, the FN 15 is very nice looking! Great FIT and FINISH! The FNAR is truley amazing. It seems like a good battle rifle 20 rounds of 7.62x51 in a semi-auto short 16" bull barrel rifle. This FNAR was built in 2012 and was the last year they offered the 16" fnar variant in a Heavy barrel. And the fact is was sent off to be threaded, then it came back and sat in a safe for 2 years in its box.

Im very happy about these guns! Ive got the best of both worlds. And if anyone is wondering, these guns are nothing but quality. The FN15 is super nice tight feeling gun, it is super light. And much nicer than I ever imagined it to be. I guess what im saying is, if i paid $1500 for just the FN15 like it were some super expensive match quality AR that garuntees under 1 MOA. I wouldnt be dissapointed.

Hey Danco is that a POF?

I do like the 6x45 grendell, and the 6.8 as well. I am planning to hunt wild boar at 300 to 800+ yards. So, a 308 should do fine.

I know 800 and 1,000 yards is a long shot. I use to shoot quite a bit with a .17HMR At 400+ yards, taking down rabbits. It took alot of practice to shoot it that far. I plan to practice quite a bit before attempting such a shot at a boar, or a deer.

What about 16" Vs. a 20" barrel?

I am thinkng the 20" is a no brainer option for long range, and the 16" is more versatile, easy carry in and out of woods.

I really love the POF P308 gen4. I think im done shopping lol.

Any objections?

No this is a Crosshill Tech billet side charge upper with the Spikes Tactical Gen2 Enhanced Ambi Lower. Frankly it's much nicer than a POF.

Here is a pic with it after I redid the Cerakote in a custom green color. Below is it is my Spikes Helbreaker which has all top notch parts and a Wilson Combat match barrel. I have $2000 into each rifle minus the optics. I'd put them up against any of the high end factory rifles for quality and accuracy.

imagejpg7_zpsc3bf6a91.jpg

imagejpg5_zps0b05f2ec.jpg

Both beautuful rifles. Very nice. I'd love to build one like the one on top. I have no experience though so I have lots to learn. I'm new on here so I'm reading everything I can read.

Both beautuful rifles. Very nice. I'd love to build one like the one on top. I have no experience though so I have lots to learn. I'm new on here so I'm reading everything I can read.

it's always good to see new people who are honest.. Welcome R.B.

There is a plethora of good info on the Hide, so keep Creepin and learn as much as you can, one thing i will tell you is make note of the people on here who are actually helpful and decent people and you will see that most of us will always go out of our way to help. Also on the flip side of that you will see the fucking Drama Queens that have nothing better to do then start shit and kill a good Thread.

Thank you. I hear ya. I'm too old for drama. At 46 I have no time to waist. I just want to learn more and enjoy doing what I love to do. Thanks again

Now buy some FGMM for those guns and see how they shoot. Off the bat a trigger upgrade would be a nice improvement over stock. An SSA-E in that .308 would be a huge improvement.