• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AR Type 22's to Consider

Re: Which AR Type 22's to Consider

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breachers Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are we talking about TAPCO conversion stocks for Ruger 10/22s?

That was what I originally bought, thinking it would be a price effective way to have an AR style 22. Wrong. It’s a hundred bucks spent for a cheesy POS piece of plastic that had two different “buffer tubes”* based on whether you wanted to use the iron sights or a optic

* (stock extension or whatever you wanna call it cuz there’s no actual buffer obviously) – which by the way are not at all convenient or smooth to switch back and forth.

Yes the S&W M&P 15-22 MOE isn’t cheap, but when you consider how much money you are saving by using – and really enjoying that 22LR – and even getting some “transferable” muscle memory training value out of it – the weapon more than pays for itself.

This is a “cry and buy once” gun. Just throw down the money one time and then never worry about upgrading it ever again (besides accessories to put on that rail system). Its money well spent in my opinion. – I mean, I’ve put 3,000 rounds through my MOE. Rounding off to 20 bucks per 500 rounds (a way highball estimate), that 3,000 rounds cost me 120 bucks.
</div></div>

the tapco is cheap but with a basic 10/22 inside has run well with good results for 30-40 shooters I have loaned it to. I run it always with a scope using the straight tail piece for kids/ bent for adults, about 90 seconds to change but it does freak some people out seeing the tail piece being tapped out with a claw hammer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">makes me wonder the quality about since they are so much cheaper than the smith and sig. does the bolt release and safey, charging handled, etc function like in an AR? I know the one real advantage of the smith is the fact you can drop in any ar trigger, grips, stock. </div></div>

I do not know the answer to that. It would be a question for Mossberg to answer.

However, I, personally, would not question Mossberg's quality at all. I have several of their shotguns, and prefer them to Remington shotguns. One of the Mossberg shotguns I own won the military contract for use by the US Special Forces over the Remington 870. It's the Mossberg M590A1. It appears that the Mossberg met ALL criteria presented by the selection panel, and Remington only met 2 of the 12 requirements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breachers Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the S&W M&P 15-22 MOE isn’t cheap, but when you consider how much money you are saving by using – and really enjoying that 22LR – and even getting some “transferable” muscle memory training value out of it – the weapon more than pays for itself.</div></div>

I'm definitely a fan of the M&P 15-22

IMAG0161.jpg

The target below was shot at 25 yds with an eotech and federal blue box.
IMAG0158-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huklebry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breachers Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the S&W M&P 15-22 MOE isn’t cheap, but when you consider how much money you are saving by using – and really enjoying that 22LR – and even getting some “transferable” muscle memory training value out of it – the weapon more than pays for itself.</div></div>

I'm definitely a fan of the M&P 15-22

</div></div>

I can't say anything bad about S&W products. They are all solid, and come backed by their lifetime warranty. However, I still prefer the Mossberg after handling both.

Dang Huklebry, that eotech on the MOE is pretty well the exact setup I'm rollin with. Only difference is the addition of 1-point sling and some rail protectors, and the bipod handgrips when a beginner is gonna be shooting.

Now back along the lines of the Mossberg, are we referencing this tactical-22 ? : Mossberg Tactical 22

If you are merely looking for an affordable way to put 22 Long Rifle downrange out of a military looking type delivery system, the Mossberg is absolutely the way to go hands down. On Mossberg’s website, they mention that this thing is under $300. Compared to the $550ish that you can expect to pay for the M&P (atleast with the MOE model) that’s an easy decision to make.

But going back to what I said about transferable muscle memory, at a single glance at the photo I’m seeing the Mossberg isn’t even in the same ballpark as the M&P. I don't just mean bells and whistles like BUIS and Magpul stock and grip either - like everything from the rear carrying handle type sight, to the lack of threaded barrel with compensator, to no functioning charging handle, to whatever that safety or mag release type lever thing is, to the strange angle of the buffer tube (or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me), to the rail system – this thing is not much like an m-4 carbine at all. Now if you don’t care, than yeah this thing looks awesome – but if you do care, the extra $250 (so nearly double the price) for an m&p is negligible. My humble vote is to “cry and buy once” if shooting 22 LR, throw down the big bucks and really get something you’ll be happy with because with the amount of money you save every single time you pull that trigger—you’ll have made up that price tag in no time.

But again, if that’s not the purpose the 22 carbine is being purchased for, or if these points don’t bother you, kindly disregard everything I’ve said. Then again, we are talking “AR 22s to consider”……..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I know the one real advantage of the smith is the fact you can drop in any ar trigger, grips, stock. </div></div>

Ummm…. I don't know for a fact off the top of my head - though I'm sure a Google search would be able to confirm or deny- but I think butt stock “switchability” is not true. Something about the way that the buffer tube isn’t actually a buffer tube and none of that stuff is actually milspec, but again I could absolutely be wrong here.

I've got the m&p MOE, and I don't know if thats different from base models in that aspect.

I bought the M&P when it first came out and just put a Magpul butt stock on it. So yes, you can- at least on the 1st gen. model I have. I can't remember if it's mil spec or commercial stock for it though... The quadrail is NOT interchangable with other AR15's though- unfortunately

I LOVE my M&P's. My M&P 15-22 is almost identical to my M&P AR15 (except the quadrail) which provides a lot of good cheap practice and fun.

I am in love with it I think. the more i see it the more I want it. Now just to convince the wife I need it to practice.
I thinkt he MOe is what i want. How are the MBUS sights vs the normal sights on them?

It has a Milspec buffer tube that is part of the lower and can not be removed. I have had an magpul ACS stock on mine. Then i went back to the light weight stock that came with the M&P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thinkt he MOe is what i want. How are the MBUS sights vs the normal sights on them? </div></div>

I can't comment on the normal sights as I don't have em, but the MBUS sights are just fine with me. And to be a little more specific without quite being quantitative—by “just fine with me” I mean they give as fine a precision as I would reasonably expect from the Walmart 550 round value pack ammo (federal, Winchester, or Remington or what not) that I put through the weapon.

I zeroed my MBUS sights at 25 meters (can’t offer all that great of a reason why I chose that distance) and that zero has served me just fine doing close quarters drills at 7 yards (at which distance I expect to aim a bit high just because of sight height above the bore of the rifle) and as far back as approximately 100 yards or such.

So to make a long story short, there’s no scientific method to my experimentation after zeroing, but I am very happy with the MBUS. And of course, if you are thinking of putting an optic on top of the weapon, they are obviously more convenient than the traditional sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ipittythefoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has a Milspec buffer tube that is part of the lower and can not be removed. I have had an magpul ACS stock on mine. Then i went back to the light weight stock that came with the M&P. </div></div>

And so I humbly stand corrected....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breachers Up</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So to make a long story short, there’s no scientific method to my experimentation after zeroing, but I am very happy with the MBUS. And of course, if you are thinking of putting an optic on top of the weapon, they are obviously more convenient than the traditional sights.
</div></div>

If it had an aluminium upper i think i would put a 1-x sight with larue qd mount but since its polymer, i think i will just stick withte the "irons" and run drills.

I really like the MOE, and i like the earth, but i think if it takes aftermarket stock, pistol and stuff. Id just the regular rifle with flashhider and then get the magpul parts but in green. unless they come out with one soon. The magazine wouldnt match, but i could deal with that.

The MOE 15-22 my friend has accepts my MilSpec MOE stock. I have shot it several times (he has a Primary Arms Aimpoint Comp M3 clone..big fun) and the first thing I always notice is the weight difference. That and the safety; the 522 has a shorter 'throw' from S to F, and the 15-22 isn't ambi. But I like it. I considered one just because, once I saw the aftermarket barrel nut offered by Tacticool22.com to adapt other handguards. The jury is still out on that one...being able to keep the 20" barrel installed on the 522 would be nice.

I just contacted Smith & Wesson, David Valenze confirmed that they take any MIL-Spec after market stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just contacted Smith & Wesson, David Valenze confirmed that they take any MIL-Spec after market stock. </div></div>

Good to know. I had no idea. I'm gonna have to have a bit of fun using the m4's stock on the MOE in that case.

after this thread and research i think ill prob get the NON moe version then put a magpul CRT stock and moe grip and rail rubbers then either. Might keep the sights it comes with or get somethign like troy. i think the MBUS sights look cool and they are polymer and cool colors, but I want the dual apeature feature.

I have been toying with the idea of an AR style 22 for a while. Kinda surprised to not see any love here for the Ruger SR-22. Looks pretty solid and uses 10/22 mags.
Any thoughts on this rifle?

The sr-22 is a ruger with a different chassis type, but its not a AR-15 style. It does not have a charging handle, ar style bolt release, ar safety or ar mag release. Its a neat 22 but not really an AR 22, the really only one is the Smith&Wesson. The rest are seem like wannabees, but SR-22, and Sig are good in their own style. If you want AR trainer then SMith and wesson is the way to go. IF you want a "tactical" 22 then the others come into option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been toying with the idea of an AR style 22 for a while. Kinda surprised to not see any love here for the Ruger SR-22. Looks pretty solid and uses 10/22 mags.
Any thoughts on this rifle?</div></div>

As I was composing, stork23raz beat me with a response, and I agree with all he said!

The Ruger's not an AR .22, but a 10/22 that tries to appear to be an AR.

As a training weapon, the M&P15-22 is the way to go as stated in several earlier posts.

Kevin

And a big selling point for me would be the magazines - the more or less AR dimensioned magazines will work just fine in the mag pouches on your kit already, whereas those 10/22 mags are gonna wobble around on you.

Just a thought.

I agree with ktdls7 all the way. I sold my Ruger and got the M&P .22 and set it up as close to my M&P AR15 and it is a great training tool. and one that is affordable...