• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which brake for 308

jlaw973

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2009
central MO
I'm planning on buying a Remington with varmint contour barrel, 5r probably. Was wondering which brake people thought was the better. Was thinking about the Badger FTE but looks a little big on the end of the barrel. Seen the R$D Rad Rapid in another thread and looks like it fits the barrel better as far as size. Which is the most effective?

Re: Which brake for 308

What about the R&D? I want something I can take off and on easily myself. I plan on getting a suppressor down the road.

Have had 3 different types

Vias

Harrells break

and now a Thruster and they all are very effective however for the tac game and prone
Go Thruster its very effective and has a great fit to the rest of your tac rig
I love the Thruster

The only thing I can say with muzzle brakes is if you are looking for accuracy, vent the gas equally in opposite directions. The brakes that vent out the top, but not out the bottom may be good for a blaster rifle, but for true accuracy if it goes out the top, it needs to go out the bottom, if it goes out left, it need to go out right too.

We have done a lot with muzzle brakes and won't install one on a customer gun that does not vent like I suggest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPCactus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> none..IMO. </div></div>

+1

308's don't recoil enough to justify the increase in noise. The more you shoot and the more you work on your technique, the less problematic recoil is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPCactus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> none..IMO. </div></div>

+1

308's don't recoil enough to justify the increase in noise. The more you shoot and the more you work on your technique, the less problematic recoil is.</div></div>

I love when people say this. Why does it matter if he wants a brake or not. Noise? It's not that loud, poor exuse. There are plenty of great shooters that just want one because. I think they are great to stay on target. Yes you can say "drive the rifle correctly" but not every shot is on a square range, they are great for positional shooting also. I don't have one on my .308 but my next rifle will.

Take a look at the little bastard by APA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pappy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like my Vais. </div></div>

If you want crap everywhere....

i found the jp howitzwer VERY effective, they also make a streamlined one as compared to mine below.

http://www.nokick.com/Muzzle_Brakes_Compensators_s/32.htm

308_FRONTAL_VIEWJPG.jpg

I have several Surefire Brake/Adapters. I have a SF suppressor in .308, and am set up to run the same can on all my 5.56's.
So, if your at all thinking of a can in your future, take a look at that route. JPG

Yes, that's my cat's butt in the pic.....
12-8-092038.jpg

I thought about going with a brake for a QD suppressor so I could use the same one on my ar, but people said to go with a screw on suppressor, that they were more accurate.

I would beg to differ about the accuracy note--my limited experience has found the Surefire to be extremely accurate
with the least point of impact shift when taking off or on.
All of the above mentioned brakes are good--I want to try 1
of R&D's next build.

i personally like the hollands quick discharge, and the ops inc breaks. the hollands is the most effective one i have tried, and dosent blow much around at all. the ops inc is new, but seems to be doing pretty well.

i know some one here wont put a break on if it is not the same on both sides. but if im not mistaken that shouldent matter, as the gasses are comming out after the bullet exits the bbl any way, that should not effect the bullet path? The only reason the put on top and not bottom is dust printing when you prone.

SUREFIRE

i am saving for the QD 762 can right now,. but when i finally get it i can use the same can on my Armalite AR-10 & .300 Win. Mag. Remy 700 r5. so if i was going to get a bolt gun in .308 i would make sure it had a Surefire brake/ suppressor addadptor on it.

take a look at them,. a smith will have to do the instal unless you have the tooling and skill,. but it was pretty cheap when i had my two installed.

I have used both Surefire and Ops Inc on my 308's. It kind of comes down to what you're doing with the rifle and what's your expectations.

Neither Surefire or Ops Inc was very abusive to other shooters to my side but there was some noise / blast. I was sure to ask before and after shooting if anyone there had any issues and no one complained. I shot next to both configurations while swapping rifles and can honestly say it's no big deal. But everyone has his or her own opinions.............

Or just go without. Like mentioned above the 308 doesn't have much recoil or isn't very abusive by any means.

Good luck on your quest.

R&D brake all the way if you feel you need one. the badger fte is huge and weighs 9oz and honestly i didnt feel it was that effective on my 284. if you don't need removable go for the badger thruster very effective and simple/light.

Shot Zeroed1983's rifle today with the R&D brake on it and it worked very well. Muzzle blast wasn't as abusive as my Surefire brake for my can but it was still there which is to be expected with a brake. Can't wait to get mine installed when i get my .308 rebarreled.

You really don't need a brake on a .308. But if you must, the Little Bastard from APA works really well on taming the recoil on my 7WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPCactus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> none..IMO. </div></div>

Exactly

I'd just shooting it without, until you make the suppressor decision. You may kick yourself later if you decide you want a QD and have to spend another $150. I also came from the AR world and can tell you honestly the 26" varmint is a pussycat.

Look down in the sale section there's a guy who makes them and they are GTO and they are cheap $55. his screen name is RWS.

I dont think the .308 needs it, getting behind the rifle more and more will reduce you felt recoil as you gain better form.

I have a Roedale brake on order, mainly just to try out. If i dont like it or feels its not needed I will sell it, but it leaves me with the least "invasive" type of brake as no threading is required.

I hear good things about the FTE as well.

Get an end cap made if you decide to put a brake on, that way if you need to take it off, the threads are not exposed.

I have a buddy with a 338 LM with the FTE on it and it works REAL well. Grant it it is a magnum and the rifle weighs like 20lbs but it recoils like a .243, feels real soft. Don't expect it to work on 308 that well, just thought I would get opinions. I think it would look a little big on the end of a varmint barrel.

That's why I went with the R&D brake. I wanted a removable brake but didn't want something that looked like a donkey dick hanging off the end of my barrel LOL

"Donkey Dick" exactly, that's funny. It looks fine on his 338 but the barrel is about the size of my arm too. I finally found the Rad Rapid thread the other day. That's probably what I'll go with if I get one. It looks jus like the FTE only smaller.

FTE looks ugly, is heavy and loud. I'd bet the only louder break is the JP. It is not needed for recoil on a 308. Itching to get some 208amax to work up and will have more recoil than 178 amax I shoot.

The added weight hung on the end of my 22lr rifle helped shoot better so I don't mind the weight, looks, or noise. I want to tune the barrel harmonics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's why I went with the R&D brake. I wanted a removable brake but didn't want something that looked like a donkey dick hanging off the end of my barrel LOL</div></div>

Hahaha

Thats a win!