• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Brake

liberty2701

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2018
Ossipee,NH
I am shooting a Rem 700vs 308 win 26" barrel. The gun will shoot 1/4" moa all day long. I am looking to have the barrel threaded for a brake. Two cost effective brakes I came across are the POF 3 port $60 and The JP Eliminator $100. I am trying to keep the cost down. Any opinions on these two brakes? I also read about the Mac Gunwork's NWP brake. Thanks for the input.

This is a good reference point https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

Most brakes are going to be reasonably effective, one way or the other. Obviously, some will be better than others. Cal Zant found the JP Eliminator to be perhaps most effective (for brakes at the time) at staying on target and pretty effective at recoil reduction. I've been running the WTO brake for 2 years, and it's a solid brake. There are newer brakes on the market that may perform differently than those listed at the link above, but there's not going to be a gigantic difference between them and what's on the list.

I think the Eliminator doesn't get more play because, frankly, it's a little ugly.

I'm switching to the Area 419 Hellfire this year, not because I'm unhappy with my WTO brake, but because of the A419 suppressor mounting capability, using the same rifle mount that the brake uses.

I've got a Surefire on my TRG and I am more than happy with its performance. They pop up from time to time in the PX or check ebay. I scored mine for $70 shipped.

This is a good reference point https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/21/muzzle-brake-summary-of-field-test-results/

Most brakes are going to be reasonably effective, one way or the other. Obviously, some will be better than others. Cal Zant found the JP Eliminator to be perhaps most effective (for brakes at the time) at staying on target and pretty effective at recoil reduction. I've been running the WTO brake for 2 years, and it's a solid brake. There are newer brakes on the market that may perform differently than those listed at the link above, but there's not going to be a gigantic difference between them and what's on the list.

I think the Eliminator doesn't get more play because, frankly, it's a little ugly.

I'm switching to the Area 419 Hellfire this year, not because I'm unhappy with my WTO brake, but because of the A419 suppressor mounting capability, using the same rifle mount that the brake uses.

The aforementioned blog post by Zant is very helpful. I have two brakes from the list, the JP Recoil Eliminator (ugly, but very effective on a lighter-weight 300 WM). And then the APA Fat Bastard. In terms of weighing the data points, the most important for me were (in order of priority): staying on target, recoil, ground signature.

The list is now 4 years old, but it is still a very useful starting point for brake purchases.

Reactions: davere
I ordered a Precision Armament M-11 for 6.5 cm after reading the above article and a couple others. it scored high....it was in stock at optics planet unlike the JP brakes..and its on sale. I got mine delivered for around 84 dollars.

That M11 looks good. I called Precision Armament. The tech stated the M4 model reduces more recoil than the M11. The M11 has slightly less recoil reduction but is better on muzzle rise due to the top port.

Last edited:
I ordered a Precision Armament M-11 for 6.5 cm after reading the above article and a couple others. it scored high....it was in stock at optics planet unlike the JP brakes..and its on sale. I got mine delivered for around 84 dollars.
Did you use a crush washer or their alignment system ?

did not order any of them yet..dont have howa barreled action in hand yet to try it..im fairly handy so I might try "Mark and Sam After Work' recent video on youtube on timing it..i also have several sets of shim washers and ill try those b4 I order anything...

That M11 looks good. I called Precision Armament. The tech stated the M4 model reduces more recoil than the M11. The M11 has slightly less recoil reduction but is better on muzzle rise due to the top port.
I was planning on getting the M4 but saw it doesnt have a 6.5 specific brake so I went to M11

Love the M11 I have. Another benefit is that it doesn't direct as much muzzle blast back toward the shooter as the M4.
You'll be happy with the M11!

Love the M11 I have. Another benefit is that it doesn't direct as much muzzle blast back toward the shooter as the M4.
You'll be happy with the M11!
That was another reason I went with the M11...I got enough brain cells damaged already..

1/4 moa is amazing-I wouldn't change a thing ;)
Surprised it took this many posts for this to surface.
Oh, I agree because I've never owned a 308 that was "1/4" MOA all day". That one is truly special.
Now, I'll throw my vote in for the Area 419 Hellfire. I have one on my 6.5PRC and it is a very effective brake.

Yes, agreed. I could be wrong about this, but I do see more "self-timing" options out there now than there was 4 years ago. That's not a breakthrough, just a trend.
True, but they don't improve the brake's function: recoil reduction.

After listening to @Lowlight talk with David Tubb on the Everyday Sniper podcast Episode 97 about 'timing' and 'trueing' a muzzle brake, (how turning it out a turn can change group size and change poi) im wondering how different the above mentioned tests would have turned out if they'd have tested different timings with the same brake? I realize most of the brakes tested weren't self timing but you could have used washers to mount them differently. I realize its not a big deal..the numbers just might've been a bit different. Just my random musings!

In fact, some of the self-timing ones seem to come loose more quickly than other options, and a loose brake can definitely change POI.
Are those the ones that don't have wrench flats on the nut? I'd never buy one like that.

Are those the ones that don't have wrench flats on the nut? I'd never buy one like that.
I would never buy one without wrench flats either. I'm talking about my APA Little Bastard, which unfortunately has had some problems with the self-timing part of the brake. It seems to work itself loose every 50-75 rounds, resulting in a significant shift in POI, about 1 mil down and 1 mil right. Let me be clear: The brake is extremely effective--and maybe it's coming loose because of user error--but it has come loose on about 5 occasions while mounted to my 6mm CM.

1/4 moa is amazing-I wouldn't change a thing ;)
My buddy has a ga precision 308 that is more accurate than mine. Anyhow, this post is about brakes not accuracy claims. Thanks for all the replies. I actually never thought about the brake affecting accuracy.

I would never buy one without wrench flats either. I'm talking about my APA Little Bastard, which unfortunately has had some problems with the self-timing part of the brake. It seems to work itself loose every 50-75 rounds, resulting in a significant shift in POI, about 1 mil down and 1 mil right. Let me be clear: The brake is extremely effective--and maybe it's coming loose because of user error--but it has come loose on about 5 occasions while mounted to my 6mm CM.

Oh well, more for me, :) . I have area 419, hand tighten, and APA, tighten with a nut, and none of them have come loose in thousands of rounds.

Don't forget you get what you pay for. You might have found a gem but most 1/4 moa rigs weren't built with low prices in mind. I'm for saving up and getting a nice brake.

I like the Area 419 Hellfire. Pretty unique way of timing it. I do not see the recoil reduction testing on it. How good does it compare to others out there?
Both are excellent, I’d say they are very close to each other as far as recoil reduction. Design and angle of ports are almost identical. I’d just pick the one with features you like and you’ll be happy.

Don't forget you get what you pay for. You might have found a gem but most 1/4 moa rigs weren't built with low prices in mind. I'm for saving up and getting a nice brake.
My rifle is a factory Remington 700 built around 1990. It s a gem. Without stirring up another whole debate i partially agree with you regarding you get what you pay for. I have learned especially in the ar world that certainly is not true. Thank you for all the input. The Area 419 is about 1/2 the price of the FB. Thanks to those who turned me on to that one.

I just installed the Hellfire today after picking up the barrel from the gunsmith. I love this brake. Awesome recoil reduction and I do not notice an increase in muzzle blast from behing the rifle. The installation system is brilliant. Best part about the brake.

Reactions: davere
I just installed the Hellfire today after picking up the barrel from the gunsmith. I love this brake. Awesome recoil reduction and I do not notice an increase in muzzle blast from behing the rifle. The installation system is brilliant. Best part about the brake.
After OCD'ing while installing and timing a Precision Armament M-11, I'd totally spend a bit more and get a self timing brake like you did! Dont get me wrong, brake performance is awesome..shooting 6.5 CM 140eld at 2700fpfs..recoil compared to a non braked 223..but all that work was not worth it! The education was worth it tho;)

Getting back to you..i found a shim in the toolbox that was .020 thick. I only needed around a .005 since my brake without shims was past timing by about 35 degrees. So I sanded off the washer by hand down to .0065 or so and then sanded a bit off the muzzle brake. took several hours and numb fingers dragging the shim across a file and then sandpaper. Needless to say, when all was said and done I went a bit too far..if you look close you can see its about hald a degree past horizontal. Havent decided yet if I wanna go thru the trouble sanding down another one or leaving it.

Im impressed as well with 1/4 inch groups all day. Especially from a factory Rem700 .308. I can only get half inch groups sometimes. But i'm still pretty green at it.

Reactions: Cfshooter
It's a little bit above your price range, but I would also vote for the hellfire. All just depends on your plans down the road. If you are planning on running a suppressor or using your brake on another rifle, it may be better to go with the hellfire as it's quick and easy to swap out. Then, in the future you're just spending $40 on an adapter rather than another brake. They are expensive but worth the money in performance and quality.