• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which branch of the military would you join? And Why?

Hi,

IMO there is not a military branch that will provide anything truly useful in his quest to design and build firearms.
The military purchases firearms they do not really "design or build"....

My suggestion that will give him a leg up in that specific industry sector is find a CNC programming/operating trade school then transition into mechanical engineering.
Here is why I say that:
1. CNC programming/operating knowledge will give him a leg up on "pure" mechanical engineering papered people in the actual mechanical engineering school and in the real life job section. Lots of talented mechanical engineers cannot design shit that can actually BE made because they have no concept that the machine tool cannot perform the movement needed to make what they draw.
2. CNC programming/operating knowledge will provide him a rather nice paying job while going to engineering school. Which will allow him more time to dedicate to the actual engineering course.
3. A mechanical engineer that can machine and a machinist that can engineer is the Golden Ticket in his quest to design and build firearms.

There is not a military branch that can provide that knowledge and insight. There is a reason DOD facilities such as Crane NSWC Special Weapons Programs, Picatinny Arsenal, Quantico, etc etc ALL have civilian contracted personnel running the RDT&E weapons programs.

Sincerely,
Theis

I have read through all the comments, and I thunk the item above did the best job. Gotta think about education, gotta think about what PAYS, and gotta think about what pays for the education!

Aim high, I guess. People who do machine work are awesome. Engineers who don't suck? AND can do machine work? Totally awesome, and well paid, probably.

I've got a different mindset on this that may piss a lot of people off. When you join the military if you're not willing to die then you don't need to be in the military. I can't tell you how many times I've run across friends, family Etc the wine bitch and moan when they get shipped off somewhere to go fight ( or support those that are fighting)... For what they fucken volunteered for. So, if your son is not willing to freely die for this country and for those the can't fight for themselves... The military has the wrong path.

Assuming your son knows what it means to volunteer for the military then I would suggest the Navy.

The main reason I'm thinking Navy is the ability to see the world assuming one chooses that path. Kind of like going to college... Exposure to the world that you are unaware of.

I would suggest machinist mate, non-nuclear. While it's obviously non firearms-related, it very well could be if needed. It'll give him the exposure necessary in The Machinist world. And when he gets out, assuming he doesn't want to make a career of it, he will have the background to go to a Gunsmithing School or start his own business or go work for a manufacturer of his choosing.

That first paragraph I stated for a reason. Far too many people go into the military with a me me me attitude. For those that have the me-me-me attitude, maybe the military path isn't the appropriate Direction. Assuming this is the case, maybe going directly to a gunsmith in school or a friend of sing as a machinist assistant would be I better pass. Maybe forget the military and look at school for mechanical engineering?

I wanted Marines when I was a kid. Before I found out asthma was a DQ. 😡

Good guys here to talk to and listen to their stories.

A friend is on year 24 in AF. He said when he was in basic training, the Marines next door made the AF recruits look soft. I think he was in CA, but not sure.

Tag in @Dirty D for Coast Guard advice.
There are no "Marines next door" at Lackland AFB, TX. That's the one and only basic training base for the Air Force, been that way since the mid 40's.
But to his point, AF BMT trainees are extremely soft.

The military now offers a 401k with contribution matching and all sorts of perks to stay relevant and compete with the corporate sector. We need more “me me me” individuals at this point, because run-of-the-mill blind order following morons have no place. Did you forget that you are ranked AGAINST your peers? The military is quite literally one giant fucking competition.

On the topic of willingness to die, that opinion just makes you foolish. I don’t want my battle buddy sitting back accepting his fate when under fire and I’ve been hit, I want that motherfucker to live and drag my ass out of there.

But, hey, that’s just me.

I've got a different mindset on this that may piss a lot of people off. When you join the military if you're not willing to die then you don't need to be in the military. I can't tell you how many times I've run across friends, family Etc the wine bitch and moan when they get shipped off somewhere to go fight ( or support those that are fighting)... For what they fucken volunteered for. So, if your son is not willing to freely die for this country and for those the can't fight for themselves... The military has the wrong path.

Assuming your son knows what it means to volunteer for the military then I would suggest the Navy.

The main reason I'm thinking Navy is the ability to see the world assuming one chooses that path. Kind of like going to college... Exposure to the world that you are unaware of.

I would suggest machinist mate, non-nuclear. While it's obviously non firearms-related, it very well could be if needed. It'll give him the exposure necessary in The Machinist world. And when he gets out, assuming he doesn't want to make a career of it, he will have the background to go to a Gunsmithing School or start his own business or go work for a manufacturer of his choosing.

That first paragraph I stated for a reason. Far too many people go into the military with a me me me attitude. For those that have the me-me-me attitude, maybe the military path isn't the appropriate Direction. Assuming this is the case, maybe going directly to a gunsmith in school or a friend of sing as a machinist assistant would be I better pass. Maybe forget the military and look at school for mechanical engineering?

Reactions: E-Tool
There are no "Marines next door" at Lackland AFB, TX. That's the one and only basic training base for the Air Force, been that way since the mid 40's.

Could have been at a point early in his career after Basic too.
Details are fuzzy. Heard the story 18-20 years ago over beers.
He was and is a marathon runner for fun and 100 milers for a challenge.
So he was and is darn fit.
He makes fun of the guys without med issues who struggle with regular PT because they dont stay fit.

My son, 18yo 6'-2" 225, very athletic, very smart, is thinking about joining. He's not ready for college yet, says he doesn't want some commie professor giving him bad grades because he's a conservative. He intends to eventually get an engineering degree, says he wants to design and build firearms but first he wants to learn how they work and how to keep them working. He's interested in the armory and smithing. What do you guys think? If you could advise a young man what would you suggest?
I started reading this thread to see which service most of the posters on here served in.
What I ended up seeing was a lot of "if I would have joined" or "I knew a guy that was in" comments.
No real point to this post other than I expected to see more military or prior military on here.

Reactions: precision_dad
Why join any branch? Why not go to a trade school. This is the new 4 year degree. There will always be a need for the crafts, you won't be out of work any time soon. Some crafts are paying more for their apprentices. When I first started many of the crafts start at 50-60%, now I'm hearing that some are starting at 80%.

Reactions: kortik and E-Tool
if i was going to join now as a young man, whichever would be more likely to let me fly something, but i don't have 20/10 vision so probably would never happen.

My company just hired a kid (20) straight out of trade school. He will be making over 100k his first year and has better benefits than the military.

This is the way.

Why join any branch? Why not go to a trade school. This is the new 4 year degree. There will always be a need for the crafts, you won't be out of work any time soon. Some crafts are paying more for their apprentices. When I first started many of the crafts start at 50-60%, now I'm hearing that some are starting at 80%.

Reactions: Redmanss
Coast Guard: Hidden Gem for sure but you got to be that guy ridin' a semi-sub drug vessel to get really cool points.

That's true! Coastie here. The dude banging on the hatch of that SPSS(self-propelled semi submersible) is my buddy. Solid dude!

I'm pretty partial to the Coast Guard. Only because, I'm half way to retirement :) I do Maritime law Enforcement(My rating(our job codes) is ME) As far as quality of life in the CG....lets just say I've met MANY more prior service branch(All were Army, Navy and Marines) guys and gals that have lateraled over to the red headed-puddle pirate side of the military than those who want to switch over to a different branch. I've never met someone who wanted to switch out of the CG to a different branch. They all come over to us. That should speak volumes in itself.....

If I could do it all over again, the aviation side of the Coast Guard is THE only way to go!! Weather that be officer or enlisted. The whole "Airdale" culture is super laid back and probably the only place in the military where an enlisted guy/gal can have control of an aircraft (though, not be at the controls) over the officers. They work & train hard and the hangar deck culture is very relaxed. But, their work/life balance is always greater than the cutter (our ships) fleet. Every airdale loves their job.

I had a pretty wild 3 years at the Pacific tactical law enforcement team (the law enforcement detachments (LEDET's) you read about going on U.S & allied warships) and got to deploy, literally, all around the world. Both with the U.S Navy and the Royal navy. Our mission is mostly all counter-narcotics, with occasion co-op trainings with other nations. Keeping about 15,000lbs(+/- a couple keys) of cocaine off the streets was a good feeling. :)

Have your son at least look into the Coast Guard. We do some pretty cool shit that you'd never see or hear about in the media. It's either a pretty badass search and rescue crew going out in hurricane weather or being in a law enforcement agency, chasing drug mules at 0200 in the morning, 200+ miles off the coast of some central or south American country. It's been pretty fun looking back on 11 years. But, I deeply regret not going to the aviation side of the house.

Last edited:
If he wants an education and be in the military he could got the ROTC route. I had a full ride Army Scholarship back in the 80's. Paid my full tuition and I had spending money check every month. Also had cool schools to go to every summer as an undergrad. Airborne, Air Assault, CDLT even Ranger school. As far as learning weapon design etc. Military isn't going to give it to him. Goodluck!

Edit: As far as dealing with liberal professors its easy. You know what they want and you give it to them to get the grade. It took me a year to figure it out and it took discipline. If you want non liberal professors you are really limited to Hillsdale College and others like it. Few and far between.

Reactions: E-Tool

The only way an Air Force person gets to hang out with the Marines is if he go to so sort of unified school for a particular AFSC, or you’re stupid enough to volunteer for something. (The latter for me...)

What I did see a lot of it Lackland was other services showing up to go through the language school that was there at the time, or to work with the police training command.

I ran into a number of Navy and Marine Corps personnel that way, but of course my tech school was also at Lackland for over a year… So I was permanent party in tech school and got to hang out with all the Navy chicks.

The other thing that was always funny what was the first phase of para rescue was conducted at Lackland. It was always a hoot to see four guys running around with a telephone pole.

No military job will prepare you for an engineering program at a four year school. Being concerned about exposure to new ideas also doesn't automatically mean join the service.

My vote is tech school of some sort. Doesn't sounds like service really meets his needs unless it's to secure a gi bill.

Reactions: kortik and E-Tool
No military job will prepare you for an engineering program at a four year school. Being concerned about exposure to new ideas also doesn't automatically mean join the service.

My vote is tech school of some sort. Doesn't sounds like service really meets his needs unless it's to secure a gi bill.

I disagree... I learned about encryption systems, the math related to them, and how that translated to electronic circuits. (This was a very long time ago.)

When I went to college and got a pre-med degree, I guess you'd be accurate that my military AFSC didn't really apply to that. However, when I decided that computer science was probably more my schtick, and I when and got a degree in that... I spent 18 mos never having to study [getting all A's] because it was friggin easy compared to all that I had already learned in the USAF.

(Though I will agree that it is, nearly 100% of the time, better to go to college and join ANY service as an officer. @Baron23 did it the right way...

I wanted to be a Marine. Different mindset over there. You join the Army, or Navy, or Air Force... you become a Marine. However, I also wanted to drive the XM1 Tank, and that, said the Marine recruiter, was the Army's baby. So I walked across the hall, and into 28 years of Army service. Still think I'm ate-up enough that I could have made a good Marine... lol.

All depends on the goals of the person entering...

@ColinW : Here would be my plan. Join USCG, work to get to that LEDET section, while in get a CJ degree. Get out go run the go-fast boats for Border Patrol.

The ability to learn boat controls, maneuvering, real world experience, plus earn your boat licenses...all pluses to that job.

Reactions: ColinW
Edit: As far as dealing with liberal professors its easy. You know what they want and you give it to them to get the grade. It took me a year to figure it out and it took discipline. If you want non liberal professors you are really limited to Hillsdale College and others like it. Few and far between.

despite going to college at Liberal UMass Boston I can say I only had one biased prof and really feel all others did their best to teach not give personal opinion....that even with taking a lot of poli-sci courses.

The biased one was a Geraldo Rivera look alike that always wore the same back jeans. Regaled us with his memories of protesting the VN war in Boston. He might have been mid, early 40s at the time.

His class was history of the VN war.

First paper was on the writings of Hoang Van Chi - profs belief was that he was a propagandist for SVN.

My paper agreed with HVCs writings and I used the burial pits at Hue as an example that he was right the North was a cruel and murderous Communist tyranny.

I guess my prof didnt like facts as it was the worst grade I had gotten on a paper up to that time and I needed to change my outook if I expected to improve.

Fucker.

In the end I got the grade but still made my points, just more subtely.

Reactions: DuneBoer
The military changed my life for the better back in the 80s when I needed direction in life.
But today I have been disappointed in the kids I meet just out and have found that a lot of the older vets I have hired are horrible employees as they have just become jaded ex government employees out to game the company and get theres. I hear the same complaint from other employers and fear the future will become worse for vets wanting to enter the corporate world. This would be in the medical field not sure if its everywhere.
I would go reserves in a technical field so as to have the real world to temper the gov influence.
Or better just go to a trade school.

PS never trust the recruiter.

Late to the party, I’m active duty Army with 11 years in.

I would encourage Airforce tactical air combat controller, engineer on the AC-130 gunships, or pararescue jumper.

It’s highly trained sexy work, you don’t have to deal with shitty barracks and bad food.

The GI bill will pay for gunsmithing school, there is one in Colorado, and one in the Carolinas.

Hear this, every gunsmith I’ve spoken with says you don’t need to go to school to be a good gunsmith. What they encourage is going to machinist school and becoming an expert on CNC.

If he can afford not to go military, go to trade school. I have a degree I have never used. It will be so old by the time I retire it may not even be relevant that I have it.

@ColinW : Here would be my plan. Join USCG, work to get to that LEDET section, while in get a CJ degree. Get out go run the go-fast boats for Border Patrol. The ability to learn boat controls, maneuvering, real world experience, plus earn your boat licenses...all pluses to that job.

While that's all very true, going M.E wouldn't be the best way to go about that. And almost all the rates amongst the two TACLET's and the especially the LEDET's is ME. An occasional MK and BM here and there, but they're very few of them. Driving boats in pursuits is for the BM's. If he wants to drive boats, Boatswains mate is the quickest way to get there. My buddy was a BM pursuit coxswain at MSRT and he didn't drive boats very much at TACLET while we were there.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
A lot of the recent comments above concerning where the real education comes from is why I suggested going reserves/NG early on in this thread. Sorry for the short response then, that was my two minutes of scrolling the Hide before heading to bed so it didn't get a thorough answer. But, I got a little time now so I'll try to expand a good bit.

First and foremost, your boy will do what he wants, and as a parent, veteran, and former USMC recruiter, I highly encourage our education and nudging in a good direction of our young as well as taking a hands off and let them become a man choosing their own path. Good on you OP for trying to get some outside advice on how to guide him, and it sounds like you're taking the "trust in him" approach while trying to give him a good azimuth for him to follow. I was Marines, wife was Army, oldest step-son is active duty Navy, middle one is prior Army, and my teenage daughter is looking at military once she's old enough. We're very much a military family, and we know all too well both the pros and the cons with military service.

The military is far from a trade school, and is anything but a learning ground for an engineer short of civil engineering type work. They don't design a single thing, that's done by private industry, all they do is come up with specs to be followed and even that is 95% done by DoD civilians. For actual uniformed personnel, everything is user and maintenance level knowledge, and the majority of the time, especially when it comes to weapons, the users aren't the ones doing the maintenance other than basic preventative maintenance. I would highly discourage anyone from seeking out military service where their primary goal is understanding the core functioning of weaponry, instead it is understanding the usage and employment of weaponry. I hope I'm explaining the difference well enough there to be understood.

For anyone to be successful in military service, they need to understand the service side of it. The US gets more out of them than the service member gets out of the military. It's sacrificing of freedoms, the body, and the mind in many ways too. There's more rules and structure there than anywhere in free society. As much as it builds a man's body, it breaks it and leads to a lifetime of aching and pain. And with the mind, well, ignoring the mental effects of the latter mentioned, not to mention if there's combat service involved, is dramatic. That's why, even as a struggling recruiter during the height of the Iraq War, I would make sure anyone I took to MEPS was 100% on board with the knowledge they were entering into a world of sacrifice. Nobody, absolutely nobody, should join any branch for college money or trade learning as their #1 goal.

What young men and women get from the military, more than anything else, is the discipline and strength to succeed in life. It's not the only place one learn that, but it's certainly the top place outside good parenting. Even the best of us had some shit head traits when we were in our late teens and early twenties, and entering into that world of sacrifice and structure helps rid the mind of those. It's not perfect, there's definitely a 10% that never takes to it, but by and large those who are serving or are veterans gain it and keep it for life. I haven't been in uniform for 14 years, yet "who did you serve with" is one of the early questions when meeting anyone new because it has stuck with me and it shows without me ever trying.

But enough of my generalized ranting, here's why I say reserves for your boy. First, when joining the reserves, you're joining for a specific spot, MOS and location. There's no dream sheet or occupation field bullshit involved where the service gets to later choose how and where you serve, because you're joining for a specific MOS at a specifically based location. That even includes Marine Corps, the worst offenders of the "needs of service" mantra for active duty personnel. He would join the service, go through all the training, and then be assigned to a unit to be utilized as necessary. Reserve and NG units get a shit ton of schooling opportunities to advance one's career, most of which go unfilled because everyone is too busy with their regular life to bother going to the schools. I've known several who got out and went reserves just to get school opportunities like jump, dive, Sniper, SERE and Ranger, then return to active duty schooled out and running with the big dogs. Once he's on the reserve side of things doing his one weekend a month, he can pursue education or craft he wants.

Almost every single job filled by active duty is also found in the reserves. SOCOM wise there's even 19th and 20th SFG as well as ST 17 and 18. PJs, CCTs, TACP, and USMC Recon are all found in the reserves. Yes, it's very competitive to get into those units, not being in a rush is a big advantage.

Finally, I absolutely discourage going "armorer" in any branch if one wants to learn weaponry. Basic wrench turner is all it is. Even the USMC 2112 is nowhere near what it used to be.

Good luck to your boy in whatever he chooses. He sounds like a very fine lad and citizen.

This is the best advice for prospective Military Gun fixers that I've seen on SH since it started. I would add emphasis on the part about understanding the military demands of any service occupation, and also the advice about how military gunsmithing isn't what it used to be. Stay away from the military occupations which require a death wish. Many such wishes come true.

Several of my Venture Crew Scouts ended up in the USCG, and IMHO, it's a great ride with many excellent career paths. They all went career. They handle many kinds of service arms, and they engage with traffickers and smugglers on a daily basis. They are much underappreciated. I'm a Marine, and I admire them greatly.

...And finally, on the civilian side; the schools. I would suggest Colorado School of Trades.

Repeated for emphasis: "That's why, even as a struggling recruiter during the height of the Iraq War, I would make sure anyone I took to MEPS was 100% on board with the knowledge they were entering into a world of sacrifice. Nobody, absolutely nobody, should join any branch for college money or trade learning as their #1 goal."

Greg

Last edited:
ZlUUWAf.gif

I want to become a soldier, and it is a childhood dream. My father was a soldier, my grandfather was a soldier, and I also want to become a famous and correct soldier.

Hi,

Uhhhh what????

Maybe "soldiering" is definitely not for you!!

Edited To Add:
Might as well go ahead and put the call out, lolol

@1J04
@Threadcutter308

Sincerely,
Theis

I agree with @THEIS on this one.
However, the Air Force has a career field in aircraft maintenance that is a Machinest specialty.
They learn the basics in tech school of machining, welding, heat treating, annealing and whatnot.
Once they get stationed, they will learn CNC and actually make real parts.
I spent 17yrs with the B-1B program and our machinists made a ton of very complicated parts from engineer blueprints/drawings.
Plus, they got to make some fun stuff that probably would get you demoted in the current Air Force.
Use the GI bill and CLEP to get the engineering degree
very cool

I learned a long-time ago an easy way to get into an argument is to call a retired Marine an "ex-Marine" or an active-duty Marine NCO "Sarge."

I don’t know how much I recommend it because of the lack of outside world value but probably where he would get the most understanding of Guns and fixing them would be Army Special Forces weapons sergeant. Most branches the armor doesn’t do a lot more than accountability and taking them to someone else that can fix them. At least for the Army any ways.

If guns are what interest him get ahold of Mike Bush on here and ask his advice. He hangs out in the 22lr section alot. I think he is ravage88. I would do whatever he suggest as I think he sees both sides engineer and machist better than most. I was in the military and i dont think it is the same anymore. Also never a good time to be in when there is a democrat in office there will be rif and budget cut soon i would guess.

I wanted to be a marine but I run like a duck with goose feet because of injuries I got when I was a kid.

If I had to do it over again:

Spend about three years staying in shape and getting to know yourself. You don’t know shit about fuck at 18. Not that much more at 21, but a damn lot better than 18. And you won’t have someone who all but literally owns you, on your ass all day. This also gives you three years to really research and decide what branch/what you want to do in the military.

The military will be there when you’re 21 and you’ll do very well if you still want it in three years.

Reactions: AngryKoala
Sorry please disreguard any comments I made. I did not pay attention to the date of the orginal post and this was only bumped up cause someone from canada said they want to be a solider. President Biden would love to have you please join the marines.

Also, have him look into Border Patrol. You don’t have to be 21 and as long as you have a pulse and can pass a polygraph, you’ll be hired.

Within four years, you make six figures.

So, even if someone doesn’t like it, you get a few years of at least getting paid well to do a cool job (mostly) instead of waiting tables before you join the military.

• Haha
Air force or navy if he wants to learn a skill that translates to the civilian world. Marines or army if he wants to kill people and live in dirt....

My alma mater, USAF

3 hots and a cot minimum every day and the widest range of valuable tech training and jobs because all mil careers come to an end at some point.

Also, most of the women in the USAF actually are....women that is! LOL

Reactions: Conaso
Space Force. Imagine being on the forefront of space laser technology. Let him be a part of building the ultimate gun.

If your kid is weird as crap and a geek.............................the Navy.

If your kid is prone to strippers and pisses away every paycheck like it's his last on earth.......................................Army.

If you kid loves exercise and loves to celebrate his birthday every November 10th with 250,000 of his best friends....................Marine Corps.

If eating a cold breakfast is a hardship and suffering is when the internet goes down for more than 2 hours...................................USAF.

If you love the ocean but don't want to get out of sight of land...............................................................Coast Guard.

I joined the USAF, my dad loved airplanes and went to aviation trade school instead of high school and dreamed of working on or flying airplanes. He ended up a paratrooper and jumped into Normandy and Holland. When I was enlisting into the army to follow the family business, my dad wanted me to be the only member of the family to try and Air Force. I did, I liked it and did it for almost 30 years, no regrets.

Take your pick, but first talk to all of them and see what they have to offer. I honestly think everyone could gain a little from one tour in the military, any branch is fine. Whatever he joins, the rest of the military will mock his choice and tease him.

Last edited:

If your kid is prone to strippers and pisses away every paycheck like it's his last on earth.......................................Army.

If you kid loves exercise and loves to celebrate his birthday every November 10th with 250,000 of his best friends....................Marine Corps.

If eating a cold breakfast is a hardship and suffering is when the internet goes down for more than 2 hours...................................USAF.

If you love the ocean but don't want to get out of sight of land...............................................................Coast Guard.

I joined the USAF, my dad loved airplanes and went to aviation trade school instead of high school and dreamed of working on or flying airplanes. He ended up a paratrooper and jumped into Normandy and Holland. When I was enlisting into the army to follow the family business, my dad wanted me to be the only member of the family to try and Air Force. I did, I liked it and did it for almost 30 years, no regrets.

Take you pick, but first talk to all of them and see what they have to offer. I honestly think everyone could gain a little from one tour in the military, any branch is fine. Whatever he joins, the rest of the military will mock his choice and tease him.
This is awesome.

Take you pick, but first talk to all of them and see what they have to offer. I honestly think everyone could gain a little from one tour in the military, any branch is fine. Whatever he joins, the rest of the military will mock his choice and tease him.

Space Force?

Space Force.jpg

Does that comic-con cosplay group the Guardians count? You know the one that has all the merch but needs to hail uber(Space X) to maybe do its job of course if uber is not too busy ferrying tourists or launching junked cars into space.

started out USAF, wish i would have gone army or marines or navy or college... but got out, became a contractor, enjoyed that for a while and now i'm done. I had an opportunity to go back with the army as a medic, but my future boss looked like he was one step away from a cliff or eating his rifle so i stayed contracting. regrets, yes, but who doens't...
I would have liked to do army SF given a choice again, navy has great schools but crappy bases, marines are worse from what i hear but honestly don't know. If i was single, probably marines would be my choice for the first tour or two, then maybe army till retirement?? who knows....

Space Force. Imagine being on the forefront of space laser technology. Let him be a part of building the ultimate gun.
If you want to be on the Forefront of space Laser Technology you need to be in DIA, DWO, NSA.

By the way, space lasers is such ancient technology. Now we're looking and using scalar weapons ( exothermic, endothermic and vortex)