• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which branch of the military would you join? And Why?

hahaha....love the Air Force one....that's exactly what we were like...flying with our hands.

"There I was at 15,000 feet in a right slice...." LOL

DSC0658-630x418.jpg

If hes white, male and conservative, tell him not to even bother these days. Find a good college or trade school instead.

Doc

Yeah, there's some truth to that. Every white, male, conservative patriot was recently labeled a "white extremist" by the new POS Sec. of Defense. and all branches are to have an all-hands within the next 2 months to determine who to rid themselves of and discharge all the "white surpremacist's." All white males are at risk of being not recommended for reenlistment and/or discharged for convenience of the government.

Here's the link: D.O.D "White Supremacy"

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 10ring'r
Hmmm. I guess this means re-enlisting is out of the question.
You can always Palace Front into the national guard and get on with your civilian life, apply for whatever VA disability you need and use your vets preference points to get a decent job with a local, state or federal agency that supports veterans and finish your 20 in the guard, draw that pension at 60 or less depending on title 10 service time. If you have any skills in power production, power plants nationwide are always hunting for a select few.

I left just after the collapse of the USSR, little did I know the communists simply transferred to the Democratic party and moved here. Finished my service in the national guard and worked two jobs in the last 30 years with defined benefit pensions and am vested in both systems. I got my military fix from the guard. In less than two years I'll be retired from all of it and never look back.

The one thing for certain about the military, you will miss them if you love your service, they will never miss you. It is very one sided at every level. One half of the political spectrum(namely Biden and his ilk) hate you and always will. We live in a country where one particular party always roots for our nations enemies and smiles when American servicemen and women suffer, get injured and die.

If you can function in the military, you will do fine out here in civilian world with a little effort. Plenty of people love to hire vets.

Reactions: ColinW and RGStory
Both the Army and Marines have small arms repair technicians. But if he wants to be an engineer and learn how things work, the Army has a welder/machinists MOS (I think it is in the 91 series). School is at Fort Lee. We had a walk through as part of the Warrant Officer Advanced course back in 2012. They have a virtual welding system that Is made by Miller. The student wears a welding helmet, and welds virtually. This allows the student to learn proper techniques prior to ever going to a welder. We got to talk to the staff, and it has made a huge difference in the quality of people they send tot he field. Welder Machinists are generally in Maintenance or sustainment unit. They get to fix the bigger jobs. Oh and if you son wants an Engineering School that leans conservative, check out Texas A&M. Part of A&M is TEEX (Texas Engineering Extension). TEEX built and maintains "Disaster City." The ultimate playground for first responders!

Fuck the Military, I was drafted, before lottery numbers, so the local draft board decided who they would snatch up in their trap and the rich kids went on to College or University and the poor went into the Mil. services.. All the Army did for me was get me hurt bad and fuck up my mind and teach me lots of things I could use later in life if I wanted to fuck something up.
I did learn in there how to be a leader but on the enlisted side and grew to hate Os in general or at least be very cautious of them, but not all were bad, I Damn sure know that something to fear is a Lt. or Cpt. with a compass and a map and a degree and/or ROTC or OCS.
As to the GI Bill helping me go to college when I got out, there was not much more for me than what my Father had when he came out of WW II. Nothing like what Vets have today.
As to employment when I got out, lol, I learned quickly not to tell the truth to who I was hoping to get a job with that I was a Vet from VN. I never got a call back from any of them after I was honest and told them I was a VN Vet other than Coors Porcelain. Joe Coors did all he could do to help us, we always had a higher than ususal pay rate with him and he treated us right.

Tell that person to go to the best Trade School he can find. FM

D7652BB2-9716-4143-A4BE-F9DA51B3D33B.jpeg

This is my grandfather Robert Bob George. He is 17 in this photo right before he landed in Guadalcanal with the 2nd Marines. After WWII he was in the Korean War. In between Korea and VN he was a drill instructor at Camp Pendleton. Grandpa retired from active service after his tours in VN as a Master Gunny. He remained on reserves for 15 years before finally retiring. I was raised by my grandfather. All growing up I was awe struck about him and his service asking him to tell me war stories. The only story I ever got was “war is bad” and the public does not respect their war hero’s or soldiers. Do not join the military son. I took his words to heart and listened. Grandpa passed when I was 13. The 2nd Marines came out to Ft. Logan national cemetery here in Colorado to perform his service, I have never seen anything as powerful as The 2nd Marines honoring one of their own. I’m 39 now and my wife tells me I missed my calling not joining. His photo sits atop my reloading bench now.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhsc and 10ring'r
View attachment 7561493
This is my grandfather Robert Bob George. He is 17 in this photo right before he landed in Guadalcanal with the 2nd Marines. After WWII he was in the Korean War. In between Korea and VN he was a drill instructor at Camp Pendleton. Grandpa retired from active service after his tours in VN as a Master Gunny. He remained on reserves for 15 years before finally retiring. I was raised by my grandfather. All growing up I was awe struck about him and his service asking him to tell me war stories. The only story I ever got was “war is bad” and the public does not respect their war hero’s or soldiers. Do not join the military son. I took his words to heart and listened. Grandpa passed when I was 13, now 39 my wife tells me I missed my calling not joining. His photo sit atop my reloading bench now.

My dad served in the European theatre during WWII. He was injured and spent about a year in a hosptial in England. He was transferred to Walter Reed where he spent a little more than another year before being released.

My dad would never talk abut his exploits. He went to his grave without telling anyone (including my mother) what he had done or seen.

I wonder how many men did the same thing?

My dad served in the European theatre during WWII. He was injured and spent about a year in a hosptial in England. He was transferred to Walter Reed where he spent a little more than another year before being released.

My dad would never talk abut his exploits. He went to his grave without telling anyone (including my mother) what he had done or seen.

Grandma and Grandpa did not sleep in the same bed or room. I feel a vast majority did the same, because it was not glorious for them.

Reactions: Foul Mike
Fuck the Military, I was drafted, before lottery numbers, so the local draft board decided who they would snatch up in their trap and the rich kids went on to College or University and the poor went into the Mil. services.. All the Army did for me was get me hurt bad and fuck up my mind and teach me lots of things I could use later in life if I wanted to fuck something up.
I did learn in there how to be a leader but on the enlisted side and grew to hate Os in general or at least be very cautious of them, but not all were bad, I Damn sure know that something to fear is a Lt. or Cpt. with a compass and a map and a degree and/or ROTC or OCS.
As to the GI Bill helping me go to college when I got out, there was not much more for me than what my Father had when he came out of WW II. Nothing like what Vets have today.
As to employment when I got out, lol, I learned quickly not to tell the truth to who I was hoping to get a job with that I was a Vet from VN. I never got a call back from any of them after I was honest and told them I was a VN Vet other than Coors Porcelain. Joe Coors did all he could do to help us, we always had a higher than ususal pay rate with him and he treated us right.

Tell that person to go to the best Trade School he can find. FM

Welcome Home!

• Sad
I had two uncles in WW II....one in the Army marching up the islands in the Pacific with MacArthur and the other flying B-17's out of England.

They NEVER said a single word about it and would NOT be pressed on the subject.

Other uncle on other side of the fam was shot out of the sky in the Battle of Britain....all I know of him was a picture in my Grandmother's home of him in a leather flying cap.

If your son is serious about joining take him to the VA. He deserves to see both sides of it and know what can happen. If he decides he is still interested AF Intel will open a doors for him.

Why join any branch? Why not go to a trade school. This is the new 4 year degree. There will always be a need for the crafts, you won't be out of work any time soon. Some crafts are paying more for their apprentices. When I first started many of the crafts start at 50-60%, now I'm hearing that some are starting at 80%.

Because he wants to serve his country, because he want to give back to his country instead of just taking from it... that’s probably why

I'm glad I served when I did, but, if I had to do it over again, I think I would go into the Marines or the Navy. I think I would have rather been a "badass", instead of tossing badasses out the back of a perfectly mission capable/flyable a/c. It was fun tho, I will admit.
I'm proud of what I did in the A.F., and I would relive 85% all over again. Gained a lot of knowledge, had a lot of responsibility(no a/c turned into a lawn dart, because of something me or my crew did), seen a lot of the world, some good, some bad. Loved it when we "Kicked the tires and lit the fires", as they say.
But, If I was a young 18 y.o. now, I'd find a good Tech. School to attend. Time have changed.
Mac(y)

Perform an assessment and make sure he joins the branch with the greatest diversity, cultural awareness, and non-binary gender representation, because a tolerant and diverse military is a strong military.

Army has Picatinny Arsenal which does research and development for munitions and weapon systems which needs engineers. Term in the Navy then get a job at General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton as an engineer.

Straight outa high school...sign up for the coolest job that makes him grin. Being a unit armorer won't be it. But...if he wants to shoot things, blow stuff up, jump out of airplanes, drive fast boats full of snake eaters, save lives, or whatever, get all that hooah stuff out of his system while he's young enough to bounce back, serve honorably, and then decide to either use the VA schools program, see if he really wants to tinker with guns, or maybe there's a change of heart. But make that choice with some good life experiences, learning some discipline, being a part of something, and (hopefully) seen good leadership and been recognized for good performance. I got out in '03 after 24 years, 9 as enlisted. I got to see the world, do some very cool stuff, and serve with some amazing people. I got my education and made it work for a career after I got out. I don't regret any of it except that last jump. There's time for tech or trades after the first gig but use the military to build some opportunities. I was Army but all the services have something that may appeal. I do run into guys that tell me they wished they hadn't joined but they are vastly outnumbered (like in the hundreds) by the guys in the civilian world that say "I wish I had joined when I was young."

The armorer thing is a dry hole for a first termer. Nowadays, advance weapons are done by contractors or DARPA etc. The first term guy is a parts-replacer, cleaner, and accountability checker. I had my unit armorers go to the range with the operators just to shoot for fun, otherwise, they only checked stuff out, checked stuff in; pretty dull stuff. The cool weapons fixers found in AMU, DARPA, or tier units are GS or contractors almost 100%.

Last edited: