• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which budget accurate 6.5

AussieG

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Hi All, my first post, im coming to you all the way from Sydney, Australia. sincerely hope you are all safe with this covid19 bs happening.
Anyway I have spent a fair bit of time at a club level with benchrest 22LR and I have decided to get into a bit of long range precision shooting for a change (up to 1000yrds) and am looking at a descent budgetish 6.5 rifle. I have been considering these 3 that are in my budget and just found 2 on a local used rifle site, would really like to hear your thoughts on the 3 rifles I am considering with possible reasonably cheap mods to increase accuracy and is there a better more accurate rifle in that price range you prefer also what are your thoughts on the 2 used rifle listings? 1 has an Xray Chassis and proof research carbon barrel (I think) which sounds good not that I know anything about them yet. Thanks In advance
1. Tikka T3X TAC A1
2. Bergara B14 BMP or even HMR pro
3. Lithgow arms LA105 woomera
and these 2 used ones (appologies moderators if Im already breaking rules showing an alternative for sale site)

Reactions: JeffLebowski
It's really hard to go wrong with a tikka when you working within a budget.

Thanks for the early reply's, Im starting to feel the tikka might be the go and I think it might be a good basic upgradable platform for the future, I look forward to the further reply's

tikka tikka tikka

If you go with the bergara, be sure its the pro. Ep13 of my podcast, i go over the the bergara vs the tikka.

Reactions: required_user_name
My son had the Bergara BMP, I won it in a raffle. We swapped the stock for a KRG Bravo and he likes it much better. I have gone shooting with a friend who has a Tikka and spending money, I'd get the Tikka.

Tikka - I did the CTR in 6.5 creed with a KRG Bravo

1588102667973.png

tikka tikka tikka

If you go with the bergara, be sure its the pro. Ep13 of my podcast, i go over the the bergara vs the tikka.
I will have a search for your podcast, if you can send a link to it that would be great.

Tikka for sure my friend. I have several and they are very good rifles.

The covid stuff is horseshit in case you aren’t paying attention.

Yeah Tikka it is I think, we'll this horseshit covid19 is sure real enough to be killing real people in my country so yeah I'm paying enough attention to notice that, but yeah thanks anyway. Hope it doesn't affect anyone you know but then again it's just horseshit right?

• Haha
Reactions: DROWN and wade2big
Yeah Tikka it is I think, we'll this horseshit covid19 is sure real enough to be killing real people in my country so yeah I'm paying enough attention to notice that, but yeah thanks anyway. Hope it doesn't affect anyone you know but then again it's just horseshit right?
rural areas. not as much. city? yeah its an issue. as someone who has direct impact on multiple fronts. it's real. is it H1N1 maybe not. but it could have been.

this isn't the bear pit.

tikka is a good choice

rural areas. not as much. city? yeah its an issue. as someone who has direct impact on multiple fronts. it's real. is it H1N1 maybe not. but it could have been.

this isn't the bear pit.

tikka is a good choice
Yeah I live in the city and can see the effect first hand it's certainly real enough here, anyway not here to debate it's validity or even discuss it, it's everyone's personal choice to have their own opinion which is a good thing. Was just sending some well wishes for anyone that is being affected by it. Once again cheers for the advice my question has been answered.

Reactions: b6graham
I'd take a look at that MPA or Tikka you have linked. Not sure what a Tac A1 goes for down there, but those two builds both look pretty solid to me.
If you're going to go with a new rifle and are considering the Tac A1 vs a Bergara chassis rifle you should be looking at the LRP line over the BMP. (Making the assumption they are available in Aus.) It's a more even price comparison. The Tikka is somewhere around $700 US over the BMP, so by all rights it should out perform it. The LRP on the other hand is built on the much nicer Premier action, which in my opinion is a better feeling action than the Tikka. Downside to the Bergara is a lack of off the shelf barrels.

That Tikka in the Xray looks good, can't comment on whether or not the price is right though, you'll have to do your own research.

You can't really go wrong with a Tikka, there are loads of aftermarket bits available for them now, not that you need anything as they usually shoot great in factory form. Unless you specifically like the Tac A1 as is you will likely be better off buying a Varmint or CTR and upgrading the stock at a later stage.

Most folk on this form replace the factory stock as the likes of KRG stocks are relatively inexpensive, I think it also comes down to the US market not getting the CTR with the adjustable cheek piece which is somewhat required for most 56mm scopes.
I personally think the factory stocks are great, with the T3x being a big improvement.

https://www.deltatactical.com.au/ has pretty good prices on the KRG chassis if you wanted to go that route later.

Tikka TAC A1. Mine is wearing it's third Krieger barrel. All it needs is a good mount (SPHUR 20 MOA) and a good scope of choice. Mine is in 6.5 CM and it does everything I want.

I have the Bergra B14 BMP. Until I shot the barrel out, it was easy to put 10 into 5 inches at 500 yards. I never thought hitting that at 500 would be boring, but it was.
Edited to add, the rifle could do better, I usually can't

Last edited:
The last two 6.5's I built up started by acquiring the Howa 1500 barreled action when Brownells had them on sale with the 24" heavy threaded barrel. Then I can pick the best stock / chassis for my purpose and matching optic. Both rifles have been extremely accurate. I always like to match my components up for the purpose at hand as this gives me more options without having a bunch of take-off parts.

Reactions: Old_Longhair
A lot of love for the Tikka here but since you mentioned the Begara HMR Pro you should look up my initial review on the 6mm I just put together. on break in day my biggest group was .90. When I settled down to see what it would do, I was getting .50-.60 groups without much effort and the two groups I concentrated hard on came in at .20 and .28. This is in the first 40 rounds of Hornady Black 105 and Match 108. The stock has a mini chassis molded in and is entirely useable. Ugly, but good old Rustoleum took care of that. I couldn't be happier. The only complaint I have is that the entire action is cerakoted. This means the raceways as well. I believe the bolt would be a bit smoother if they had masked the interior off before shooting it. This will break in no doubt and it's a small nit. We’ll see what happens at distance once quarantine lets up.

I would go with a T3x Varmint and put it in a KRG chassis. The TAC A1 is A$3,400 in Australia. You can put the T3x Varmint in a Bravo and save A$1,000 or go with the Whiskey 3, save a little bit of money and end up with a rifle that is a least as good, many would say better.

Two problems with the TAC A1 are the 0 moa rail and the magazines. Those magazines are A$250 in Australia. AICS compatible mags can be had for less than A$100.

Reactions: TRG65
I have several friends successfully using the Begara HMRs in 6.5 Creedmoor and 300WM , the Tikka is a great platform undisputedly , the Begara is however based on the Remington 700 style platform so lots of choices for after market gear ,both rifles suffer from the magazine length limitations if you wish to handload to gain maximum performance from your platform , If I was setting up a new shooter again I would opt for the Begara HMR and spend the price difference on better quality optic every time .
Unless you are an exceptional marksman I doubt you will gain an accuracy improvement going for one or the other as they are both great rifles with solid actions and functional triggers , quality barrels .
It may depend on personal preference as to whether you prefer a more traditional prone style stock or a chassis stock , suggest you shoot both if available and make an informed decision , as it is a lot of coin if you decide later you wish to change .
Best of luck .

Reactions: Jake the dog
Hi All, my first post, im coming to you all the way from Sydney, Australia. sincerely hope you are all safe with this covid19 bs happening.
Anyway I have spent a fair bit of time at a club level with benchrest 22LR and I have decided to get into a bit of long range precision shooting for a change (up to 1000yrds) and am looking at a descent budgetish 6.5 rifle. I have been considering these 3 that are in my budget and just found 2 on a local used rifle site, would really like to hear your thoughts on the 3 rifles I am considering with possible reasonably cheap mods to increase accuracy and is there a better more accurate rifle in that price range you prefer also what are your thoughts on the 2 used rifle listings? 1 has an Xray Chassis and proof research carbon barrel (I think) which sounds good not that I know anything about them yet. Thanks In advance
1. Tikka T3X TAC A1
and these 2 used ones (appologies moderators if Im already breaking rules showing an alternative for sale site)
Bergara easily.

1. Tikka T3X TAC A1
Tikka is my first choice.

Just back from the range and a session where a guy offered (vehemently) to buy my gun instead of build his own after shooting 20 rounds....granted it was hand loads but still.

Athlon2.jpg

Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 CM, MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis, discontinued XLR Extreme butt stock, Vortex Precision Matched Rings with a Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 scope, Atlas bipod, Atlas rear monopod, MDT AICS polymer magazine, and other goodies. I could have made a grand and funded my heart throb Savage Elite Precision action in .338 LM but times being what they are I begged off and helped Dude source a similar gun. I have roughly $2K invested in a .75 MOA gun that seems to just like to shoot.

If one is going to compete at international levels it's not a good choice but if all one wants is a sub MOA gun out of the box that is highly and easily updated/upgraded/customized then look at Savage hard and shoot one before you scoff. Brand new Savages are not the Savage of yesteryear. They just plain shoot.

VooDoo

Hard to go wrong with a Tikka, I don't own one but have seen first hand what they can do out of the box. I have owned a Bergara though and I think they make an awesome rifle. Sub MOA wasn't a problem with factory loads and I really like how they are a rem 700 clone so the aftermarket support is pretty damn good.