• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which bullet puller????

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Re: which bullet puller????

Also im looking to use this on my 5.56.. 7.62.. 9mm and my 45 ACP reloads

I think the RCBS one can oull all bullets the wayu it comes i could be mistaken... Im not sure how or what calibers the hammer can pull

on a serious note I have the RCBS hammer type. it will work for all you listed, if you dont have to pull too many at a time this is the way to go. if you have a lot to do then a collet type is the way to go

There is another type that I have grown to like. It is a plier type that has three or four holes in it that grab a bullet in a press with no die in it. It holds the bullet above the threaded portion of the press and when the ram is depressed the bullet comes out being held by the appropriate hole in the puller. Wish I knew how to put pics. on here.

Get the Forster collet and don't look back. Hammer is slow and clumsy if you have more that a handful to pull. JMHO

I have had horrible experience with the kinetic hammer bullet pullers.
I finaly got a Hornady Cam-Lock bullet puller with some collets, and never looked back
whistle.gif

Yeah I didn't have much luck with the kinetic style with the lighter bullets (55-75 grain) but it worked ok with the heavier bullets (168-210 grains). I got the RCBS collet puller and it works way better and is easier to use in my opinion.

Get the Hornady Cam-Lock with the appropriate collets. The Hornady will not mar or leave any marks on your bullets if you use it right.

Collet pullers don't have to be clamped down tight enough to dig into the bullet. I have the RCBS and the Midway kinetic. As noted above for light bullets it's almost impossible use. For lead pistol bullets you need a hammer as the bullets are smaller than the collets. The only draw back to a collet puller is that they don't work very well in a turret press, no room to turn the handle on the collet.

Depends on your intended use. If you are pulling down surplus ammo and are not expecting the salvaged bullets to be used for accuracy purposes then a collet is fine and much faster than a kenetic. If you are removing expensive match projos I would prefer a kenetic. Some say there are collets that do no damage but I am skeptical of those statements IMO. A way to help with lighter projos and older ammo using a kenetic is to set the projo deeper first to break loose any sealant or cold weld. I have used both sucessfully depending on required result.

I have Hornady and RCBS collet pullers and they both work good but I always seem to leave marks with the RCBS no matter how light I try to grab the bullet.

As for not working well on a turret press I've used both pullers on my Dilon 550 with no problems. Just buy another toolhead and use it for your pullers and you'll have plenty of room. It only takes seconds to swap toolheads.

I had a Forster and replaced it with the Hornady puller.
Only the Forster has problems in a Turret press....not the Hornady. Hornady works fine in my Redding T-7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I didn't have much luck with the kinetic style with the lighter bullets (55-75 grain) but it worked ok with the heavier bullets (168-210 grains). I got the RCBS collet puller and it works way better and is easier to use in my opinion. </div></div>Completely agree with V.S. The kinetic's are not the way to go. I have a RCBS puller and when I have to use it, it works. Easy to set up and use. Good Luck with your choice..

crap.. Ok well for my 7.62 im using my match loads and dont want to damage them so i dont want the puller but I wan it to work on all calibers so the hammer might not work....

And none of these are going to be old ammo.. all going to be used on my fresh reloads..

I use the RCBS kinetic bullet puller. Seems to work fine and does not scratch up my match bullets. I use it on my 223 and 308 bullets fine.

There are two types of bullet pullers, inertia and collet (the very good Davidson 'plier' type puller is a simple variation on collets). There are valid uses for both, serious reloaders will do well to have both.

The collets types will mark/distort bullets if they are set too tight but are a little faster than inertia types. If you only have limited needs get the right tool for what you're doing. IF you pull both handgun and rifle ammo but want just ONE puller, get the inertia type but those who never pull pistol bullets will be better served with a collet type. The differences between the various pullers of the same type are trivial, they all work fine.

Those who are well served with a collet puller simply haven't had to pull down pistol ammo yet, they won't have much use for a collet puller on 9mm or .45 ACP, etc.

I really like my latest impact puller, a Berry's, because of its rubber handle and four collet case holder set for really small to really large cartridges. My very old Forster collet puller works fine but IF I were to get a new collet type today it would be the lever operated Hornady.

------------------------------------------
"...projos..." ??? Goodness, one letter less than 'bullets.'
------------------------------------------

My Hornady puller works fine for 45 acp w/200 LRN or 230 FMJ, or 45 colt with 200 gr LRNFP, and great on any rifle bullet. I don't use LSWC, but I bet it would not handle those well.

The Hornady even works well on my Forster Co-Ax.

Andy

"My Hornady puller..."

Hornady sells both a collet and an impact puller. ???

You need both. Sometimes you can bump the bullet in just a tad to break the bond created by time and still get a grip with the collet, but usually not. So you have to pound them out with the inertial puller at least far enough to get a firm grip.

Lead bullets are an inertia deal only unless you cast. You'll mash 'em up pretty good with a collet and can only use them for remelts.

With the price of bullets, powder and primers these days, I've disassembled hundreds of handloads obsolete for various reasons (such as sold the gun) to recover these items.

Of course use caution and safety glasses when punching out live primers and only use the recovered ones for practice (not front line) loads. I've never had one go off punching them out nor had one fail to fire in a new load.

Sherlok

I have a couple kinetics, the Hornady, the Forster, and the RCBS.

The Hornady cam over is more convenient than the other collet pullers.

The kinetic is nice for doing just one round that is not crimped.

I dont agree with Fuzzball at all that the Davidson plier is a variation of the collet type. It is very fast, does not msrk up bullet, and is extreemly simple to use. If you have a lot of bullets to pull it is the only answer for me.

Truly you do need both.

That said...the kinetic pullers are great with the correct application and technique. What you're looking for is to get the speed of the head really high - like in golf. You're not trying to hit hard at all, just really high speed...lots of wrist action. But you can forget about pulling crimped .223 bullets with one. Also, kinetic pullers are not friendly with AMAX or other polymer tip bullets in my experience.