• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Which Bullet?

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I have a 338Wm that does ALL my hunting. I now have 2 loads for it, but only want one.
    1st. is a 225 Accubond @ 2911 fps. sub 1/2 moa accuracy.
    #2 is th 250 Accubond @ 2795 fps. also sub 1/2 moa accuracy.
    I was going to switch between them based on critter size, but now I don't want to mess with all the different come-up's,etc.
    Which would you choose?

Re: Which Bullet?

Thanks. I have all the ballistic info I need. What I'm trying to decide on is weather I want higher velocity with a flatter trajectory, or more kinetic energy with a little more drop. This is strictly a hunting rifle for everything from WT deer to Moose. Primarily big mulies, & elk tho in open country.

IMHO: 225 AccuBond. Placement is everything, and the flatter trajectory will help smooth out ranging irregularities.

From the animals that you've named, I don't think there's anything that the 225 grain AB won't kill. I'm with some of the others, take the flatter trajectory that always comes in handy when it comes to unknown distances, and sloped shooting. I'd take the 225 without much thought or any regrets.

Any game hit will not know the difference between those two loads, so it comes down to what you like the best and what you can hit with the best. If it were me, I'd probably go with the lighter bullet for a little less recoil. Makes it a little easier to hit with most of the time.

I would pick the one with the least amount of wind drift out to a distance that you feel comfortable shooting. Out past your PBR, you will need to compensate for trajectory anyway (turrets/dots/reticle,etc), so the bullet with the least amount of wind drift works makes more sense.

You won't go wrong with either choice. It's all about shot placement. Your job is to take all the other factors into consideration, wind, target speed, light...

The BC for the 225 AB is .550, the BC for the 250 AB is.575. Windage for a 10mph cross wind is inside of 1/2" @ 800yds. Drop is within 9" @ 800 yds. MV is within 30fps @ 800, Energy is + 110 ft/lbs for the 250 @ 800 yds.