• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Caliber would you step up to?

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
Hey everyone,

I've just been contemplating a long range build but not sure when it will get off the ground.. (unfortunately probably not until after college)

But I was wondering what caliber you guys would step up to if you were in my situation?

I've got a .22lr, .223, and 6.5 Creedmoor bolt guns that I will be working on for the next couple of years but have been wondering about the next step up.

I've thought about 300 winmag, 300wsm, 300rum, 7wsm, 338 rum, 338 edge and 338 lapua.

Which one would you build on if you wanted it to be somewhat of a budget build.

Right now all my bolt guns are savages so i was looking for another savage but wouldn't mind changing to remington since it would require a different sized action (i.e. not a short action, besides the 7wsm which can be built on a short action, correct?)

I would want it to be mag fed, preferably from AICS mags or similar.

I would shoot to 1k regularly and would be able to go out to 1 mile and out to 2500yards quite a bit too. It would be a target/comp gun 99 to 100% of the time. I don't think I'll be doing too much big game (bigger than deer) any time too soon.

So which caliber would you guys go with and why?

Re: Which Caliber would you step up to?

My personal opinion, .308 based caliber to about 800, WSM based caliber to a mile, then .338 lapua/norma or bigger after a mile.

I have a .260, 6.5wsm, and am also debating what to go with for ELR. most likely will be a .338 lapua.

If you get a chance to come shoot down with us you will have ample opportunity to try out the .338's, cheytac's etc.

If you're considering the costly 338 LM and want it to be mag fed... go with a 300 Norma. There is a significant recoil difference between the 300 & 230 grain projectiles. The new Berger 230's have the same BC of the 300 SMK's.

You can get factory Forster dies and the cartridge OAL is mag friendly even with the 230's...

I guess the first question you need to answer is what is your definition of a budget build? IMHO, having a platform that is able to make better than average hits at 2500 yards does not come with budget restrictions. Next question would be the type of competition you intend on becoming involved in. I’ll take a crack at 2500 yards with my .416 once in a blue moon but if you are going to shoot at 2500 yards as you say “quite a bit”, having a limited budget may not provide you with the rifle you will be happy with.

You need to toss out all the 338's and above if this is a budget build. Stick with the 300 or 7mm choices. Work on the distances these calibers can handle and then start saving for the 338 or cheytac. 300 norma would be a great choice.

Thanks for the replies so far. As far as for a budget build I meant just not going for a custom action. But maybe that would be the way to go? I totally understand the need for good components such as stock (or chassis), scope and mounts. I just was not looking to get a full custom build from someone.

And by saying that I can take it out to 2500 and beyond quite a bit means that if I feel like shooting that far I pretty much can whenever I want. Its not like I only might get to shoot it that far once a year or so.

As for competitions, I think that for the foreseeable future it would only be friendly competitions and practice. I'd prefer the 6.5 for more competitive matches.

Also, JSF, would you then say that I should take another "step" in between the big 338's and such to cover a middle ground between the 6.5 and 338's?

I have a Rem 700P 338LM which we rebuilt with a 34" barrel. I like it very much. I would like to have a rifle that is a little smaller to use intermediate range, but I can use this one for nearly any thing I want.
I want to build a 375 Cheytac at some point.
Rem 700's are decent and can be rebuilt without too much money, but you might want to get a 7mm Mag for now, and save up to build a full custom for extra long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, JSF, would you then say that I should take another "step" in between the big 338's and such to cover a middle ground between the 6.5 and 338's? </div></div>

I would say so.
A magnum 7mm would be in the suggestion list.

7mm SAUM
7mm WSM
7mm Rem Mag

that would be a nice middle step between the Creed and the 338

In a R700 I'd do 300RUM with a longer barrel. You can get the 230 hybrids (.743) going 3000 fps easy and enjoy lighter recoil compared to the 338's. A friend just did one as a single shot throated out as far as possible. He's getting 3120 fps with the 230's.

I have a 300 RUM and a 338 Lap and they are very close so the OP may want to select something more along the lines of a 7mm or 308 win as a mid point between what they have and a 338 lap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, JSF, would you then say that I should take another "step" in between the big 338's and such to cover a middle ground between the 6.5 and 338's? </div></div>

I would say so.

7mm SAUM
7mm WSM
7mm Rem Mag

that would be a nice middle step between the Creed and the 338 </div></div>

Yes, I am with C Bass on this one. Pick something in 7mm or 300 and start stretching it out. These two are more economical which means you will shoot them more and get more practice. If you have the money to feed the 338 and up get what want. To me it's not so much covering the middle ground, but which one will allow you to practice more.

I have a 6.5x47mm Lapua that is a great little competition gun. I can reach out to 1200 meters or so with confidence on it.

Next, I have a 7 WSM that is a solid 1-mile rifle. Ended up with that because I wanted the *best* round that would fit in a short action. Would have to say that a .300 WinMag in long action may have been a better choice and had a little better range, but that 7 WSM is a great round.

From the 7 WSM stepping up to a .338 LM would be a solid choice. However, I am leaning towards a .375 CheyTac when I get around to an ELR rifle (and a good place to shoot it). It will be a full custom rig either way to be consistent at long distance and I don't want to reload for both so I might as well go all the way.

I would say a savage model 12 F/tr .308, or the savage 110ba 338 lapua.
My reason is, I have each of them and bought them in that order for the same budget reason. damb $$$ always gets in the way.lol.

Anyway the .308 with lapua brass and a 168gr SMK or Berger will shoot very well out to 1100 yards. Then obviously the 338 laupu will shoot 1100yr very easy sub moa and with some good loads and practice, out and past a mile. Just remeber the 338 lapua brass is not cheap at all. 100 rounds of 338LM lapua brand is around 250 and for lapua 308 is about 70. Just depends how just how far out you want to go, how much of a challange you want doing it, and how much bullet energy you want when it gets there.

A friend of mine hase a 7mm ultra mag and it shoots very well also with retumbo and a 180gr berger.

Id agree with the other guys on witch one is more $$$ friendly to shoot. Its no fun missing when you feel your wallet burn on each trigger pull. More shooting makes for better shooting.

If your like a lot of guys and my self the more you get into it the MORE YOU GET INTO IT.

Extreme long range shooting and budget don't go together. 7wsm with Alpha or Seekins mags to reach out pass 1 mile for relatively reasonable cost. For 2500 yds shooting, if you have to ask what caliber, then you probably don't have the ability or budget to shot that far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, JSF, would you then say that I should take another "step" in between the big 338's and such to cover a middle ground between the 6.5 and 338's? </div></div>

I would say so.

7mm SAUM
7mm WSM
7mm Rem Mag

that would be a nice middle step between the Creed and the 338

^right there

7 SAUM
or
7-300 Norma if you really want to reach out there

7SAUM will do all ya need out to a mile

I would say a savage model 12 F/tr .308, or the savage 110ba 338 lapua.
My reason is, I have each of them and bought them in that order for the same budget reason. damb $$$ always gets in the way.lol.

Anyway the .308 with lapua brass and a 168gr SMK or Berger will shoot very well out to 1100 yards. Then obviously the 338 laupu will shoot 1100yr very easy sub moa and with some good loads and practice, out and past a mile. Just remeber the 338 lapua brass is not cheap at all. 100 rounds of 338LM lapua brand is around 250 and for lapua 308 is about 70.

These two are two VERY different animals. 1. why would I (in my opinion and probably most everyone else's) take a step backwards by going from my 6.5 to the .308, especially with the 168's.? 2. I've thought about the Savage 110ba but still not sure about it.

Extreme long range shooting and budget don't go together. 7wsm with Alpha or Seekins mags to reach out pass 1 mile for relatively reasonable cost. For 2500 yds shooting, if you have to ask what caliber, then you probably don't have the ability or budget to shot that far.

Why would you say if I need to ask what caliber, then I don't have the ability or budget to shoot ELR? How is my ability or bank account affected by my curiosity/interest in what caliber is suitable for ELR shooting? I tend to believe I have pretty good ability and when things call for it I'm not opposed to spending the money on equipment to adequately perform a given task.

Thanks for the replies. Since this won't be happening for awhile I still have ample time to think everything through and to save some money up. I'll look more into one of the several 7mm's or 30's mentioned before I would step up to one of the 338's. Any more insight would be appreciated, if it's available.

If you want to shoot out to 2500 yards, then while a .338 and some of the others will get it done with some careful work, really you are more in the .375 / .408 range
Good rifles for ELR tend to be big, heavy and long, that may preclude them from being useable in competitions of a "tactical" nature since everbody these days wants you to move, run, do positional shots, fast round counts etc.

Why would you say if I need to ask what caliber, then I don't have the ability or budget to shoot ELR? How is my ability or bank account affected by my curiosity/interest in what caliber is suitable for ELR shooting? I tend to believe I have pretty good ability and when things call for it I'm not opposed to spending the money on equipment to adequately perform a given task.

Thanks for the replies. Since this won't be happening for awhile I still have ample time to think everything through and to save some money up. I'll look more into one of the several 7mm's or 30's mentioned before I would step up to one of the 338's. Any more insight would be appreciated, if it's available.

No harm intended, very few people actually can shoot at 2500 yards or further consistently with any caliber. That is real people and not just Internet tales. Okay then get a 375 Cheytac.

http://www.dtacomlink.com/dta-dtm-3080-yards-with-hti-375-cheytac/

DTA is a great platform and what I used, and if you change you mind you can just swap out barrels etc.

Most of the 7's or .30cal mags would probably do the trick. Anything from a 7 WSM, RSAUM,RM,RUM,or STW will get on out there as will the 300WM,WSM,RUM, Norma, ETC. Really, look at the distance you want to go, look at what velocities it takes to get either of these two calibers that far and then look at which cartridges would be the best choice. And with choices, there is no best, everything is a give and take. Any of the cartidges I listed are respectable long range options. If you have a 22,223,6.5CM then a nice mag cal would really give you another option. Good luck!!!

I just finished building a 8MM Remington Magnum. with the new 200 grain bullets from Sierra, Nosler and Hornandy sitting over the new powders from St. Marks, 100V, Superformance and 780, the results I'm getting are very promising.
Just another idea to throw out.

No harm intended, very few people actually can shoot at 2500 yards or further consistently with any caliber. That is real people and not just Internet tales. Okay then get a 375 Cheytac.

DTA is a great platform and what I used, and if you change you mind you can just swap out barrels etc.

+1 for the 375 i was helping out a buddy tht just bought a 408 and were finding alot more 375 components/data. the 375 is really shining and imo the other cartridges are falling off

thanks for the info. Now I'm not saying that I'm the best shot in the world but I do like to think that since I'm only 19 I have a pretty good foundation to work on and that I've practiced quite a bit more than a lot of people at 1k and I have many more years to work on my ability at ELR.

I never really thought about the 375. I've heard it is a great cartridge for ELR but never looked too much into. I almost forgot about the 375 and now that will probably be thrown into the mix and make my decision even more difficult since I (like pretty much everyone) do not have an unlimited budget.

To me to really step up from the 7mmMag you need to go to at least a 338edge. Really the 375 would be the true step up. Ballistically the 7mags with the heavies hang with the 338class in everything but energy.