• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which case trimmer?

FootSoldier

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
I need a case trimmer. Right now I use an RCBS Trim Pro with my battery pack drill motor for power. It's OK on .30 cal cases because I only do them 100 at a time. BUT, I have 3800 pieces of .223 I need to start processing and I need a better trimmer option.

I know, the Giraud, but that's $500 to get it set-up for .223 and .30, then get it here. I run Dillon equipment and like it plenty, so I am looking into their Rapid Trim 1200B. I could set that up for $325. I also know, buy once, cry once. But is anyone running the Dillon trimmer? Like it, don't? Does the Dillon unit still require reaming of the cases? I'd appreciate any help in figuring this one out.

Thanks!

Re: Which case trimmer?

I have the Dillon. See my post here for the tips and tricks:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=69637&Number=751920

You don't really have to chamfer the case mouths since the burr is non-existent. Its just really just a corner. I use a Lyman 'M' die tough (in place of chamfering) and get great results.

I like mine a lot. Since the trimming is being done at the same time as the resizing, its twice as fast as the others.

Giraud-Cry once and roll with the best. Soon you will be calling Doug to order additional caliber conversions for everything else you shoot.

It's the kind of tool that once you have it you wondered why you waited so long to buy it.

I'm really fond of my Giraud. I've been using it for a year or so on .223 and .308. I ordered a holder for 300 RUM on Friday and will probably be ordering one for 50BMG soon as well. Great product and great customer service with Giraud. I don't think I've ever heard someone say they weren't happy with one, that says something.

Buy the new RCBS "x" die and never trim again...yep ,thats what they say... but if you must trim use the Giraud.I will never use any other. I trimmed 500 pieces of brass in 15 minutes.trimmed two handed every 3 seconds! standard deviation on my 308's with 200smk's dropped to 4.89 with a 10 inch extreme spread!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I ordered the Giraud today.

I decided that I liked the flexibility of keeping the sizing step separate from trimming, so I can change it if I want to. I also got a little concerned about the noise factor with having the trimmer and vaccum running through the whole sizing process.

Little pricey, but I hope I like it as much as some others.

Thanks again,

Steve

I reload for the out most accuracy possible! I have found that the wilson trimmer is very much a presion tool. All the other trimmers i have used do get the job done and in a hurry, but they dont cut square. The giraud i had was fast but definatly not square, Maybe i had a bad one but i dought it. Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 54express</div><div class="ubbcode-body">standard deviation on my 308's with 200smk's dropped to 4.89 with a 10 inch extreme spread! </div></div>

wtf is a 10 inch extreme spread? I assume the 4.89 is fps. Your ES should be too.

for the money I like the Possum Hollow trimmer. For about 30 bucks you can use it on your drill and your good to go.

Depends on how you want to do your trimming.

Dedicated, at the bench and all that, go with Wilson. My first try was with my Dad's, slightly dull cutter, and 600 rounds of Lake City .30 caliber Match brass from Camp Perry, headstamped the year I was born. [Sentimental???] Dead-nuts reliable and consistent, just have a wooden surface to tap the case mouths on to get them out of the holder.

If you want to combine trimming with the short attention span theater or general TV watching, and aren't afraid of getting calloused hands, I like the Lee system. Not adjustable, but similarly dead-nuts reliable as the Wilson. Put a towel on your lap/belly to catch the shavings and watch the boob tube/movie of your choice and fill up a bucket of brass.

If you have the money, Giraud.

The LE Wilson Sinclair stainless trimmer with the added base is a nice manual trimmer

I have a Sinclair, a RcBS Trim Pro and a Giraud. My hands hurt after trimming brass with the hand tools. I have trouble with my hands and I am in my early 40's. The first time I used the Giraud it paid for itself with the lack of pain in my hands. Some things are worth more then what you pay for them for other reasons. My Giraud trimmer is one of them.Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I reload for the out most accuracy possible! I have found that the wilson trimmer is very much a presion tool. All the other trimmers i have used do get the job done and in a hurry, but they dont cut square. The giraud i had was fast but definatly not square, Maybe i had a bad one but i dought it. Lee </div></div>

+1 on that. The Giraud indexes off of the shoulder, and you will find out if you measure your overall length, that your shoulders either vary more than you would think, or the Giraud doesn't trim them all quite as much as the other. I like my Giraud for HIGH volume, but it is not as precise as a lathe type like the Wilson, which I use most. I do not like caliber changeovers with my Giraud, you always burn up a couple of cases getting the trim/chamfer set right. It would be neat if Doug could make a Case setup that didn't move all over the place when you loosened it up to change calibers. I mark mine with a sharpie, but it still takes a couple of cases to get rolling for me.

I will also say, that if I'm running more than 30 or 40, but not over 150 or so (when I go to the Giraud usually) I will use the LEE universal case holder in my drill, and their ever so simple trim length gages, that trim spot on for length--I really like it more and more with time--it works good enough that I am considering trading or selling my Giraud!

for a manual go the LE Wilson.

Get it from sinclairs, and get their little black base that goes with it... nice touch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simo Hayha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Giraud-Cry once and roll with the best. Soon you will be calling Doug to order additional caliber conversions for everything else you shoot.

It's the kind of tool that once you have it you wondered why you waited so long to buy it. </div></div>

+1 on the Giraud if you need to do that many cases. This will be my next trimmer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For that many cases I see a Giraud in your future.
</div></div>

Another thing to add to the list of things I will get but don't have the cash for YET. Till then, I use a Lyman universal which does great.

Anyone use one of the Little Crow Gunworks WFT? I keep seeing ads for it and wondered how well it works.

Here is a picture and a link to an ad on Gunbroker

Littlecrowwft.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-MadDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone use one of the Little Crow Gunworks WFT? I keep seeing ads for it and wondered how well it works.

Littlecrowwft.jpg
</div></div>
I am wondering myself, If it works as good as he says, good for him and his invention. I like to see someone come up with things like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I reload for the out most accuracy possible! I have found that the wilson trimmer is very much a presion tool. All the other trimmers i have used do get the job done and in a hurry, but they dont cut square. The giraud i had was fast but definatly not square, Maybe i had a bad one but i dought it. Lee </div></div>

And how much of a difference did you measure in your groups?

That WFT looks interesting. States a 30 day Money back guarantee and looks like it might work with case families ie 308 etc. If thats true that thing would be dirt cheap. I think I'll give them a call monday a find out. Thanks for the heads up.
Rad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That WFT looks interesting. States a 30 day Money back guarantee and looks like it might work with case families ie 308 etc. If thats true that thing would be dirt cheap. I think I'll give them a call monday a find out. Thanks for the heads up.
Rad </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That WFT looks interesting. States a 30 day Money back guarantee and looks like it might work with case families ie 308 etc. If thats true that thing would be dirt cheap. I think I'll give them a call monday a find out. Thanks for the heads up.
Rad </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

Let me know how it works out. I was waiting for that little guinnie pig to come out. LOL, But I am courious though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: radmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That WFT looks interesting. States a 30 day Money back guarantee and looks like it might work with case families ie 308 etc. If thats true that thing would be dirt cheap. I think I'll give them a call monday a find out. Thanks for the heads up.
Rad </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

Let me know how it works out. I was waiting for that little guinnie pig to come out. LOL, But I am courious though. </div></div> X2 this maybe a better option than the le wilson

I know this thread is a little old, but I just stumbled upon it. I have used the WFT for several months now and I can honestly say they are fantastic. I have them for 223 ans 22-250 and I can do several hundred cases in very little time, and very accurately. I'm waiting for the universal version to arrive soon. It will have interchangable collars so I can use one cutter for different cases. I highly recomend these trimmers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: furtaker_.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-MadDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone use one of the Little Crow Gunworks WFT? I keep seeing ads for it and wondered how well it works.

Littlecrowwft.jpg
</div></div>
I am wondering myself, If it works as good as he says, good for him and his invention. I like to see someone come up with things like this. </div></div>

This link/item is purged now. Anyone got a new link as I couldnt find one on GB'r. Anyone try one yet?

Read it, but it doesnt tell us much. For instance, most of us have Giraud trimmers, so, at least for me, I am curious how it compares. Does the WFT only trim, or based on seeing a drill bit in there does it chamfer the inside? What about the outside? What is accuracy like? How easy is it to adjust? How long does the drill bit stay sharp? Are you getting nice, clean and consistent cuts? How well does it work with different cartridges?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fish301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not like caliber changeovers with my Giraud, you always burn up a couple of cases getting the trim/chamfer set right. It would be neat if Doug could make a Case setup that didn't move all over the place when you loosened it up to change calibers. I mark mine with a sharpie, but it still takes a couple of cases to get rolling for me.
</div></div>

Get a Hornady Lock ring for each of your shellholders and ditch the supplied lock ring. Once you burn those couple of cases one time to get it exact, lock the rings down and never worry about it again. I swap back and forth between .223 and .308 and my cases come out just were I want them the 1st time through now. The Hornady lock rings are like $3 each. You can get a 6-pack for something like $15.

Hornady Lock rings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDLAW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check this link for a more complete description/evaluation: http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=19703 It is not my evaluation but I would concur with it.</div></div>

What would be the advantage of using this trimmer as opposed to the Possum Hollow trimmers?