• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing which clear coat after krylon

tjonh2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2007
ND
i sprayed my manners stock a couple weeks ago. i then applied a flat clear coat. if i grab the stock its a little tacky still. obviously this isnt good so-

what is the best clear coat for after spraying krylon?
how long does it take to dry and not be tacky anymore?

Re: which clear coat after krylon

If you used Krylon Matte clear, it may never dry. I've gotten the same thing. Some cans will dry. Some stay tacky forever.

If it's a work gun, you can spray flat lacquer over the matte clear and it will be dry to the touch and more impervious to chemicals. But lacquer is soft and will polish to a gloss with use. You can then buff it back to matte with 0000 steel wool.

A more long term solution would be Aluma Hyde II or Duracoat clear.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locked&loaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't use lacquer over enamel.</div></div>

Actually the clear lacquer has worked very well on my son's rifle for 2 years now. It just gets glossy from use.

But I've heard that before and just decided to try it.

John

yeah, got to keep the paints the same type.
only thing i didn't like after i used a matte clear it still has a little shine to it? i guess i should have use flat clear...
i wanted to keep it flat black...

The paint just wears through more quickly. The clear coat gives a little more protection and also deepens the colors a bit and makes them all appear in the same plane. Not sure how else to describe it.

John

ok just wondering because I have never cleared any of my rifles after I paint them but I do change the paint one some of them as the seasons change.

you can use Lacquer over enamel with ok results but if you use enamel over lacquer it seems to never set up.

I personaly have found that a chaep air brush and some duracote works great.

But if in a pinch try House Of Colors clear coat works pretty good , you can get it at most auto parts store like Auto Zone

I've been trying different paints on metal surfaces lately, hoping to find a low cost, easy maintenance option to some of the "higher end" spray on finishes like Ceracoat and Duracoat. So far I've tried Krylon, which was given the recommend "do not touch" time, but as soon as it came in contact with some Breakfree lube, it peeled away and gummed up.

Next was Aluma-hyde II. Application went well until I applied the matte clear coat, because for some reason it left a very glossy finish. Not my first time spray painting anything so I think the temperature may be at fault since So. Cal. is rather cold and wet this week. No biggie, I knocked the shine off with extra fine steel wool and didn't scratch anything at all which was encouraging. After the recommended "do not touch" time again, I experimented by putting several different brands of copper and powder solvents, and gun lubricants on there just to see what would happen. The first test, I poured it on the metal piece and wiped right off. No negative effect which I liked. Waited a few more days and this time, I let the liquid sit on there for a minute then wiped off. This time the AH II started bubbling and peeled off... Sigh...

As a disclaimer, all testing parts were thoroughly scuffed up and degreased with Acetone and Brake cleaner (no residue)

To the OP, think about applying either Duracoat matte clear on top or something else more durable. As another much wiser member had said to me, you should lay down a good foundation like Duracoat or Ceracoat in base color, and then apply Krylon over that, and then clear coat, this way when you get rid of Krylon the stuff underneath will stay. Matte clear over Krylon will help, but if the Krylon chips it takes the clear coat with it.

My next test will be Ceracoat C-series on Aluminum Oxide blasted surface and another piece with just sanding with Aluminum oxide coated paper and degrease.

I've applied Duracoat on a pistol of mine before. So far none of my solvents and gun lubricants I use on a regular basis can harm it, and that was on a sanded surface, not blasted. So I know that'll work.