• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Competition Pistol

Lil'Joe

Private
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2004
Occupied State of NC
Asked this over on Texa Gun Talk, but figured you guys would have some great input, so, my apologies if this question has been asked before, but could not find it in a search.

I am looking for a beginner competition pistol and have the money for any of the following; Glock 17 (Gen 4), Glock 34, or XDM -9. I have not had the opportunity to shoot the G17 (Gen4)

The 34 and the XDM-9 seem to be about the same price and pretty soft shooting so I can get back on target quickly. The G34 seems to be fairly inexpensive to replace parts etc and I have heard of people putting 100,000's of rounds through the 34. Not sure about the durability, but the XDM-9 seems pretty expensive to replace parts and requires you to send it back to Springfield or start at about $100 for a trigger kit/job, but I do like the way the XDM feels.

Actually I do not fire any better with the XDM-9 than I do the G34, both shoot better than I do.

I have only held a G17 Gen4 briefly, never fired one, but I like the pistol a lot.

Anyway, here is my dilemma. With the caveat that I would like to begin doing a little competition here in Houston and all of the pistols feel good and point good in my hand:

1. Is the G17 Gen4 accurate enough for competition?
2. Should I just go ahead and spend the extra money for a G34?
3. Is the XDM-9 durable enough for competition and should I go with the XDM-9 hoping that parts become more affordable and plentiful?

Any comments?

Thanks for your input.

Re: Which Competition Pistol

The G34 is probably as good of a choice as any. What are you looking at shooting? IDPA, USPSA?

All of the pistols listed will be accurate enough for any comp other than bullseye. I say go for one of the glocks becase the parts are cheap and avalible. The glock mags are cheap too.

I like the springers but i own glocks.

I found by tweaking what I have slightly provides the results I wanted. I use a G17 and worked the trigger take up and not much else for parts. Its very smooth and works well with my style.

I prefer the G34 over the XDM. But I'll say I like the M&P Pro over both of them since you didn't ask.

Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward the Glock 17 or the 34 or the XDm, AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH, I am so confused....

BTW, someone told me that the Glock and the STI are the most commonly used pistols in competition. Can I assume when they are talking about the STI, that it is the 1911 not the polymer import?

Glock 34

It comes from the factory with a lighter trigger pull and has approx. 1.1 inches more sight radius. There is also a myriad of aftermarket parts and competition holsters for the 34...of course all the parts and most of the holsters will also fit the 17.

The majority of dudes run Glocks for IDPA, then comes the XDMs, and the M&Ps are gaining in popularity. You can't go wrong with the Glocks. They're inexpensive, easy to modify, and super reliable. I personally like the fit of the M&P better, but I usually compete with my daily carry since I'm not out to win any awards.

Exactly what type of competition are you looking at?

If its IPSC/USPSA or IDPA, I would get a M&P Pro or a Glock 17/34.

i used a glock 35 this past weekend in a IDPA match and completely loved it, that thing just shoots, was concerned about speed with the .40 but it felt like a .22, maybe was the adrenaline and my boner

I got a Glock 17 Gen 4

Top Glock is selling them at cost, so at less than $500 couldn't pass that up.

Thanks for the input

So...since you mentioned STI, I'll assume you're gearing up for USPSA. That said, the G17, is probably the second most versatile pistol as an across the course gun.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">USPSA</span>:</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Production:</span> Good to go as is with concealment gear
<span style="font-weight: bold">Limited-10:</span> You'll be shooting minor, but you can build a 40 upper at it works, with an ejector swap, don't just do a barrel swap.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Limited:</span> Bring hi-caps and the 40 upper and you're ready to roll.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Open: </span> It's a viable platform, but requires some work. To do it right, it's a dedicated gun.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">IDPA</span>:</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock Service Pistol:</span> Ready to rock out of the box
<span style="font-weight: bold">Enhanced Service Pistol:</span> You can run in this division as is, but you'll want to upgrade some parts.

Regardless of the sport and use, three big things that should be done to EVERY Glock:

- Replace the sights
- Get a quality trigger job
- Respring the gun; in particular reduce the recoil spring weight

Hope that helps.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually I do not fire any better with the XDM-9</div></div>

Sounds like that answers your question.

If going with Glock the G17, G17L or G34 would be good choices.

If you are seeking a nice HK in 9mm, I have a full sized that I would part for not much more then a new Glock. If you have any interest - send me a PM.