• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

which direction with my project??

rackchaser71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
myakka city FL
Well i picked up a super cheap 700 sps in .270 the other day at the pawn shop and plan on jumping right on this thing with upgrades.My question is where should i start to get the quickest results.I know I know its just another "build my rifle thread". But with my budget i cant afford to take the try it myself route so im asking the people that should know.Im familiar with the simple stuff,New BBL, new stock, new trigger.IM just not sure about the technical stuff with the action, such as head space and all that "stuff" lol.So, do i need to be online ordering a new barrel and stock or be at the smith handing him my action? thanks for the help

Re: which direction with my project??

What caliber is the build going to be? Since it is a .473 bolt face, are you going with 06 based cartridges, 284 variants, or short action cartridges to see bullets out of the case body?

Are you keeping the BDL setup or do you want to go with a detachable box magazine? Might make a difference on which stock to purchase.

Just curious. It helps to have a little more info about where you want to go in order to help with the steps of the process.

If you don't want to keep it .270, i would have the action trued when you replace/chamber the barrel. You will also want to upgrade that POS SPS stock. If you want to keep it as a .270, I would upgrade the stock first, then when the barrel is in need of replacing, I would blueprint the action then.

well im new to this so excuse the stupidity for now lol. what other caibers can i use??? i do plan on going to a dbm setup.Personally i would rather use a differnt round with a wider selection of better bc bullets. The -06 would be ok. This is going to be a target gun seeing how i hav a hunting rfile already on the way.I really really like what i am hearing about the7mm stuff such as the 7mm sa's so this route would be sweet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well im new to this so excuse the stupidity for now lol. what other caibers can i use??? i do plan on going to a dbm setup.Personally i would rather use a differnt round with a wider selection of better bc bullets. The -06 would be ok. This is going to be a target gun seeing how i hav a hunting rfile already on the way.I really really like what i am hearing about the7mm stuff such as the 7mm sa's so this route would be sweet </div></div>

Since you have a long action and like 7mm, go with the 280 Rem. No problem getting the velocity you will want without hot loading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rackchaser71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well im new to this so excuse the stupidity for now lol. what other caibers can i use??? </div></div>
Here are the calibers.

thanks mist, im gona favorite the TARD page for future help cus i got a feeling im gona be a TARD for a while