• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which dual purpose hunting/target scope

James87adams

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2019
HTX
I've got a nice savage FCP-SR 308 that I love to shoot, the rifle will shoot under 1/2 moa with FGMM 168s, but I recently swapped some gear around and took off the older NF NXS that was on top. So I need to decide on some new glass for it.

I use this rifle to target shoot (want to get to 700), and plan on shooting some deer with it this year (100-300). I want to keep the scope between a 42mm and a 50mm at the largest, prefer a 44 mm, my clip on nv does not fit above a 50mm and may not fit a 50mm if the housing is thick (doubtful).

I care about clarity/glass quality, tracking (I will zero for 168 fgmm and have to dial for whatever hunting round I use), and mil/mil. Prefer illuminated reticle, but I dont need a christmas tree, I prefer simple reticles.

I get mil pricing, so leupold and NF give me a great deal. I could also go with a vortex. New vs used doesnt matter to me.

I was looking at the Leupold mk5, vx5hd, vx6hd, NF NXS, used vortex, or just going with an older leupold mk4. I'm lost as hell. I want to keep as close to $1000 as possible, but I've got a little wiggle room.

Tell me why I'm wrong hide!

1k makes it a little challenging, but if you have a little wiggle room...I’d keep an eye out for a used Razor AMG.

Reactions: Baron23
I'd like to keep it close to 1k but realistically I can spend 1300 or so.

I have always been of the school of thought, that a decent scope should be a priority over a half decent rifle.
I don't know what a Vortex Razor II is worth in the US, but my new one is primo.

I know this is off topic but can anyone tell me what is the best way to Purchase a rifle off the hide

Happy with the vortex gen 2 razor but it’s made of solid lead. Leopold Mark 5 hd is in my list for a target/deer rifle

My rifle is pretty heavy already, so I'm torn. I don't need to keep weight down, but I also dont want to make this annoyingly heavy if I can avoid it. 26" fluted barrel is fine, but when I add my suppressor it's not quite as easy

The LHT looks pretty nice but it looks like a primarily hunting scope, and I wonder how well it tracks... that being said, it does have illum, where the leupold mk5 I'm looking at doesnt, and the NXS I'm considering does, but I dont like the reticle as much there.

I'd also look at the Sightron SIII and maybe the S-TAC (though I have no personal experience with the STAC).
The SIII's that I have had were all great scopes. Clear and bright, track dead on, and can be round in the PX for around $700.
I've only had the Siii 6-24....which may be a bit much for hunting, but check them out.

I'll have to keep an eye out in the classifieds for a sightron that fits.

Anyone have any experience with the Leypold VX5HD or the VX6HD?