• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which entry level red dot? Or recommendations

flyracing117

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Looking for an optic for my AR. I do not have the money for an aim point or even a eotech.

I'm looking at either a:
Bushnell TRS25 (would probably need 2 risers to go under it.)
Primary Arms m3style(Lighter weight than m4. Even though weight isn't a big issue for plinking)
Primary arms m4 style ( runs on AA battery which is the biggest seller for me but it also has a 2 MOA dot, the multi reticle doesn't matter for me because I'll mostly just use the dot)

Which would in the long run be the better one ( I'm hoping that after I pay off my schooling I can upgrade to eotech but for now I need an alternative to go on my flat top AR )

Re: Which entry level red dot? Or recommendations

I've heard nothing but good with the primary arms. I
m thinking about running one of their m3s for a while. I'd say go with either the m3 or m4.

A friend has a Primary Arms on his MP15-22; I almost bought one when I ran across a Vortex Strikefire, which is IMO a better buy.

In your opinion what makes the strike fire worth the extra $$?

Strikefire is good to go. Get the high mount and it will co- witness.

You can sometimes find Trijicon Reflex's for a couple hundred bucks used.

I have a vortex strikefire. It's better than other cheap red-dots. It comes with a pretty solid mount and a doubler. I tried using the doubler, but it created a reflection and ended up causing the dot to look like the infinity sign or an 8 if you weren't completely perfectly centered behind it. I shot tighter groups just using the red dot by itself without the doubler. It also has a reddish tint to the optic and isn't very bright(the glass, not the dot).

For $150 it's one of the better ones out there...but you could just save for an extra couple weeks and get the much better aimpoint. I'm telling you brothaman, if you just give yourself more time and buy once/cry once with an aimpoint(even a used aimpoint) you'll be much happier with a far better optic in the end.

here's the strikefire on my first ar build..
2011-08-31.jpg

The best thing at this point for your money would be not to buy a red dot. Purchase some good iron sights and shoot. When time and money allowes pick something up that will work good.
I walked away from red dot sights when the 1-4x optics started to work for the same role plus you have the option of setting the magnification higher. JMHO

i build a throw around M4orgery truck gun a while back and decided i wasnt going to spend a lot of money on optics and picked up a vortex strike fire from primary arms brick and mortar...

i love the thing, its comparable to my aimpoints, though not as crisp...great buy..i totally recommend it...its held up months of duty use, 3 carbine classes, and probably around 10,000-12,000 rounds

I'm also happy with my Strikefire. It has been through half a dozen matches and thousands of rounds in the last couple years. Still on the original battery (though it won't last much longer now that I said that) and have not had any problems yet. The only thing I would change is the on/off button. The unit is on about half the time I take my rifle out of the case. The button is in a bad place.
-Dan

i'd say get a bushnell TRS-25, well made lil red dot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokey0118</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a vortex strikefire. It's better than other cheap red-dots. It comes with a pretty solid mount and a doubler. I tried using the doubler, but it created a reflection and ended up causing the dot to look like the infinity sign or an 8 if you weren't completely perfectly centered behind it. I shot tighter groups just using the red dot by itself without the doubler. It also has a reddish tint to the optic and isn't very bright(the glass, not the dot).

For $150 it's one of the better ones out there...but you could just save for an extra couple weeks and get the much better aimpoint. I'm telling you brothaman, if you just give yourself more time and buy once/cry once with an aimpoint(even a used aimpoint) you'll be much happier with a far better optic in the end.

here's the strikefire on my first ar build..
2011-08-31.jpg
</div></div>

Smokey,
A question for you. Generally the review on this model has been pretty except several people compains that the red dot is not bright enough. Can you comment on that?
Thanks

I have the trs-25 on my AK and think it's a really good red dot for the money. I would like to try out the primary arms one of these days. But I am very happy with the bushnell. The Burris fastfire is supposed to be pretty nice too..

If i were to save up for an eotech working my current hours and recieving my current pay without any bills or food it would take me about 2 months +/-.

Ive thought about getting a good set of BUIS but that would take Roughly $200 and I just flat out cant afford that either. The $150 for a Strike Fire is the tippy top all i can afford. Yea i probably should have gotten an A2 front sight post but i didnt want that because then when i got optics it would always be in the way. I know where i could buy a front sight gas block and it would only be $15 but i dont have a roll pin tool to change them out.

In a bit of a pickle and i dont want to just let the gun sit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best thing at this point for your money would be not to buy a red dot. Purchase some good iron sights and shoot. When time and money allowes pick something up that will work good.
I walked away from red dot sights when the 1-4x optics started to work for the same role plus you have the option of setting the magnification higher. JMHO </div></div>
X2
IMHO one should really be proficient with iron sights before complicating matters. As far as 1-4 optics are concerned here is an option that is relatively inexpensive and spends a lot more time on top of my POF than my
Eotech
http://grscinc.com/CRS.html

Tenderfoot
The red dot is pretty weak in heavy sunlight..but when you tap it over to green dot the problem is solved....the green dot it may day time
Dot...and when the sun goes down I set it to red dot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Te-He</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If i were to save up for an eotech working my current hours and recieving my current pay without any bills or food it would take me about 2 months +/-.

Ive thought about getting a good set of BUIS but that would take Roughly $200 and I just flat out cant afford that either. The $150 for a Strike Fire is the tippy top all i can afford. Yea i probably should have gotten an A2 front sight post but i didnt want that because then when i got optics it would always be in the way. I know where i could buy a front sight gas block and it would only be $15 but i dont have a roll pin tool to change them out.

In a bit of a pickle and i dont want to just let the gun sit. </div></div>
Watch the forums here and you can find some troys for around $150 used. Now if I were you I would cut that price down by going with a fixed rear and front sight then save the money for shooting.
Here is the front post.
$49
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=563

Troy DOA Fixed Rear $65 If you want the basic rear you can save even more!

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2461
After shipping you will be under $125

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Te-He</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for an optic for my AR. I do not have the money for an aim point or even a eotech.

I'm looking at either a:
Primary Arms m3style(Lighter weight than m4. Even though weight isn't a big issue for plinking)
Primary arms m4 style ( runs on AA battery which is the biggest seller for me but it also has a 2 MOA dot, the multi reticle doesn't matter for me because I'll mostly just use the dot)

Which would in the long run be the better one ( I'm hoping that after I pay off my schooling I can upgrade to eotech but for now I need an alternative to go on my flat top AR )
</div></div>I have a Bushnell red dot on a Ruger 10/22 that does a great job for me. Not that an AR has a lot of recoil, but I am sure the Bushnell will do a good job for you for about half the price of the EOTEC.

I have a vortex also but haven't used it much. Maybe only ten rounds just to test fire my rifle before I put my big scope on. Even tho I haven't used it much it seems pretty decent for the money. I would buy it again....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tenderfoot
The red dot is pretty weak in heavy sunlight..but when you tap it over to green dot the problem is solved....the green dot it may day time
Dot...and when the sun goes down I set it to red dot </div></div>

benchmstr
thans for your info.

I just did some more digging and apparently, according to a couple of reviewers on Amamzon, most people who compains about brightness level had the red/green model. If you ordered the red dot only, the brightness is quite good.

And I read a few reviews of the red dot only... users, though only a few, speaks positively of the brightness.

so I think I may order this option instead of the red/green

But then again ... on second thought...what's the green dot for? lol

Surprised no one has mentioned millett red dots. I think I paid 90$ for my SP? It's only been on a couple .22s but it is cheap, if that's what you're looking for.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/sp-series-red-dot/

Oh and Te-He, if you PM me your addy, I'll ship a regular front sight post to ya fur freez. I've got like 5 or 6 of them laying around.

I just put the Bushnell TRS-25 on my Mossberg 930 SPX and I have perfect co-witness with my ghost ring sights.

I've seen many AR-15's running them on the internet. Good to go. Even better to go is that Bushnell is giving a $30 rebate on the TRS-25 and Amazon sells them for approx. $75-$85. I got mine last night at $75, so after rebate, $45 ain't bad. We'll see how it holds up to 3" slugs...

The rebate form is right beneath the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TR...7803&sr=8-1

IMG_5749.jpg

Aaaand now that you've got me thinking about it, I've got a couple old ARMS 40 flip up rear sights that I won't be using again as I've switched all of my BUIS to Troy's. So I'll send you both the standard front sight and the ARMS rear for 40 bucks shipped if that sounds good? That'll get ya shooting on the cheap.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best thing at this point for your money would be not to buy a red dot. Purchase some good iron sights and shoot. When time and money allowes pick something up that will work good.
I walked away from red dot sights when the 1-4x optics started to work for the same role plus you have the option of setting the magnification higher. JMHO </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saito</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aaaand now that you've got me thinking about it, I've got a couple old ARMS 40 flip up rear sights that I won't be using again as I've switched all of my BUIS to Troy's. So I'll send you both the standard front sight and the ARMS rear for 40 bucks shipped if that sounds good? That'll get ya shooting on the cheap.
smile.gif
</div></div>

The Shooting Gods have offered their wisdom and generosity.

Do not mess it up!

grin.gif

BMT

the burris fastfire is a good one to check out. sightmark also makes some decent sights and vortex has some similar acog look alikes and these will all run between 60 and 160 dollars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tenderfoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But then again ... on second thought...what's the green dot for? lol </div></div>for people like me who are color blind to red lol

a lot of red dots to me just blend in with the background...but i can always see a green dot..

A used Aimpoint Comp (ML2 to a M4) can be found at a reasonable price, and with a good mount (ADM, LaRue, Bobro, etc.) will make a bombproof package.

Yea, it may be a little more than what you're looking to pay, but down the road when your entry level red dot goes ca-poop and you holding it, crying, and saying to yourself WTF, you'll wish you dropped a little more coin.

Buy once, cry once.

I run an Aimpoint Comp3 on my AR now with a Larue mount and it is solid. I also like Eotech as well they are stout and can take some punishment. Stay away from the knock offs they will only cause you woe.

the dot will be plenty bright. This is a picture of it against a red self-sealing do-all target around noon. It's still low on it's brightness setting. I usually keep the dot on the low side of brightness to minimize haze effect. I could still crank it up more or change it to green.

Me describing it as "dark"(especially when compared to the aimpoints) is moreso directed at the quality of the glass. when ignoring the red dot(or even turning it off to just use irons) the glass has a reddish tint that darkens up the target.

So far, it's held zero fine and been reliable through some camping trips, idpa matches, and many range trips. It's also been running on the same batteries for a few months now. As with others, the thing is switched on accidentally from time to time by pressure on the "on" switch located on the side. Not a big deal since the thing doesn't drain batteries that fast, and since it's got an auto-turnoff feature.

The Night vision mode can also be annoying if accidentally turned on. There's a button located between the up and down brightness buttons that automatically switches it to it's lowest power setting for use with NV stuff. I don't have NV stuff and probably will never use the strikefire combined with NV stuff. This button just means every once in a while, i'll shoulder my ar, hit the power button, and have to fiddle with it for a second to get it on until i remember to try the NV button. Pressing it once drops to nearly invisible at it's lowest power setting and pressing it again returns the dot to the last power setting you had it at.

The other gripe is the covers absolutely suck and will break on your first serious outing with it.

Here's the breakdown as i see it.

pros:
*Cheap
*reasonably crisp dot
*red/green option
*decent battery life
*decent durability combined with lifetime warranty
*Comes with solid mount
*holds zero well

cons
*glass isn't very bright due to red tint
*covers suck donkey balls
*NV button is often more of a problem than a solution
*doubler sucks due to reflection and warping around edges....u can shoot better without it

Overall, for $150 it's hard to beat....but i'd rather have saved up more for an aimpoint.
2011-08-04130244.jpg

well I've been doing some reading and according to some other forums' postings, there's a red dot only version. And this version is suppose to be brighter. Here's only of those forums.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=38653

Some people on B & H Camera said that they only had to set the brightness to 4.

So I went ahead and took a chance and ordered a red dot only version. We'll see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Te-He</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for an optic for my AR. I do not have the money for an aim point or even a eotech.

I'm looking at either a:

</div></div>

Our latest generation of the Primary Arms Micro Dot (shown below)is my favorite. We also are a Vortex direct stocking dealer. The red only Strikefire is definitely brighter and a great choice.

Marshall

Oleg2.jpg

Photo by Oleg Volk

listen to the hide......the vortex is probably the best aimpointcknock there is out there right now.......it's not the quality of an aim point though but should work just fine for you.

Other options are minimred dots like the doctor sights and the Burris fast fire II.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm also happy with my Strikefire. It has been through half a dozen matches and thousands of rounds in the last couple years. Still on the original battery (though it won't last much longer now that I said that) and have not had any problems yet. The only thing I would change is the on/off button. The unit is on about half the time I take my rifle out of the case. The button is in a bad place.
-Dan </div></div>

Went to the range today, 2 days after that post. Battery was dead. Oh the irony.
-Dan

The Strikefire's pretty good and relatively inexpensive. The only thing I don't like about it is that the on/off button is on the side of the optic and gets turned on inadvertantly all the time. I think the Vortex SPARC looks cool too, but I've had no experice with this one.

Only heard good things about Primary Arms and if $ is low you can get the RedDot, Mount, Magnifyier, and swing mount for less than half the price of a AimPoint or EOTech...thats extremely good value, and ignorance is bliss so if you shoot good with a Primary RD and have never shot with AP or EOtech then you dont know the difference...I assume your not gonna jump out of a plane or get shot out of a sub torp tube in the ocean with it.

Not exactly what you specified but I'd rather go with this for a little more coin. http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-SWFA-SSALT-Combo-P42148.aspx
You could probably find one used on the cheap. Alot of three gun guys started with one or still run them. Just another option...
Also if you don't mind used or demo merchandise keep your eyes on SWFA sample list items. http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx They just had a Demo Eotech 510 sell at $299 and have Aimpoint,Trijicon, and many others on there too.
Side note if you want a set of fixed front and rear Troy sights for a good price check here http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?i...&groupid=48 $105 shipped

If you go with a knockoff like the vortex make sure you put it in an Arms mount quick detach.....that way, if your red dot takes a dump on you you throw the levers and get on your front sight and get back in the fight.

You get what you pay for....they are $150 for a reason and Aimpoint are $500+ for a reason. They are built better. For target shooting the Vortex should do just fine but if you are going to run and gun then save up the coin. You could also go with a Burris Fastfire II or Docter Sight. I use one of those in addition to my scope and it works perfectly for engaging target out to 100-125. They are only about $200 plus a mount.

Strikefire with a high ring gives you an absolute co-witness; there's no need for a QD. Just flip the irons up and keep on truckin'...

IMHO I would wait until I first purchased a Quality set of BUIS. Learn to shoot with them. One should be able to hit out to at least 200 yards with irons.

If your heart was set on the Aimpoint which is all I use then wait until you do get the money together. They are worth it.

If you are going to run it hard go with the Aimpoint. If not go with the vortex.

After close to 60 yrs on this earth I have lerned one thing... Get what you want, you get what you pay for and in the long run you will be happy with your purchase.

Again this is IMHO, Have been there with not much money but I have waited and have been happy I did.

Hopefully you have taken Saito's generous offer and can now get good with the irons. Spend the difference on ammo and get shooting. Take the time to learn the irons before upgrading to optics - if you find you ever want to.