• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which handle on RRS leveling base?

rsimes

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2006
Memphis, TN
About to pull the trigger on some RRS gear. I see they have options as to which handle on the TA-3 leveling base, 2.5", 4.5", or low-profile knob. Pros/cons? Also, in actual use the locking collar on the TA-U, which is mounted above the legs, looks like it would be easier to run than reaching between the down and in between the tripod legs for the above handle types.? Is that the case, or no?

Good info from Diver.

A little extra knowledge out there for you, neither the 2.5" or the 4.5" with hook will allow you to go prone on level ground. For tripod in the prone I use ballheads. Personally when shooting I almost am always using the 4.5" with hook and when I am creating the orders for most competitors or Mil/LE guys I push the 4.5"hk more often than not.

The low profile knob is really to short for using with rifles in a standing position but will allow for going to prone. The low-pro knob does work well in the ground pods if you are shooting off a bench.

I have the 2.5" handle on my TA-3, a couple competitor friends prefer the 4" handle. I was letting another friend try it and he was originally going to get the 4" handle but after using it he thought the 2.5" was fine also. Neither is a problem IMO, just preference.

I do find the TA-3's handle underneath to be easier to operate than the paddles of the TA-U universal leveling head. Plus it's a bit more stable than the universal head. To me that's one of the biggest reasons to go with a set of RRS legs, so you can have that fully integrated leveling head and legs that's easy to use and super stable.

Great question, I just recently through the same situation, I have a set of RRS series three legs and really thought I would get a leveling base but I also purchased enough rail to do the whole foreend of my rifle with ambitions of using my tripod for prone as well. With that thought in mind I went with the series 55 ball head so I could get low to the ground and also not give up too much stability standing.
I'll know more when I get all my parts, including an Atlas bipod quick connect adapter, which will allow me to run my bipod close to my mag if needed during certain stages.
Scott

Diver,
I get what you are saying, I only plan on using it as a bipod when shooting off of rock piles or in the crazy stage where I would otherwise be forced to use a 20" bipod. With a quick release clamp and a full length rail on my rifle I'm hoping I can get in and out of positions quickly, only time will tell though.
If the ballhead doesn't live up to my expectations, I can always get a leveling base.

Scott

Last edited:
I ordered mine with the low profile knob and have been very happy with it. It allows you to to drop all the way to the ground and shoot prone if you want.

Todd