• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which luggage locks

Bacarrat

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Planning on making a trip next month and I plan on bringing my rifle with me. Currently I have a Storm 3100 case and was wondering what non-TSA locks will work. I know the normal padlocks are too big for the case, plus I will need 4 of them. Also, keyed or combination?

Re: Which luggage locks

Thanks for the link Chiller.

I think for firearms it calls for non-TSA locks on all the airline web sites I have been reading. The TSA locks can be opened by anyone with a key and those keys aren't hard to get from what I have been reading.

Not only do you keep your key, it is advised to have an extra set of locks in your case. If for some reason TSA decides to open your case without you present and do so by cutting your locks, w/o the extra set your guns stay at that location and will not be put on the plane. Cheap insurance.

I've flown with firearms a few times
    wink.gif

Never had them cut my locks, I guess they figure it was inspected enough to get there no need to rip into it one more time.

I bought cheap locks all keyed together. They are not there to be bulletproof, hell if some guys wants the rifle he just takes the case as well. They are there so all the little people dont fear the monster inside!

Well thats the way I heard it...

I bought/used my TSA locks from Cabelas back in Sept 2008 for my grizz hunt in Alaska in conjunction with my Storm iM3200 case. On the way back, we had a lay over in Ketchikan. While waiting at the airport, I was called up on the loud speaker. Seems my TSA lock was broken and they wanted me to verify all was well with my firearms. Thank goodness they were. From there, TSA banded my case up for the remainder of the trip home.

Cabeals gave me a full refund
    grin.gif

Alan

I fly several times each year to Europe and on almost every trip I have either a rifle or shotgun with me, plus ammo packed separately.

The first time I went I called the airline and advised them ahead of time that I would be checking a rifle, which by the way is a good idea since it seems to make check-in a little easier since the gate personnel will see that noted in your reservation when they pull up your reservation. I was told to use TSA locks and so I did. Once checked in I was walked over to TSA to have them inspect the contents. TSA does that and lectures me to never use TSA locks since only I should be able to unlock/open the case.

Next time I did the same advance notice and showed up with big Master padlocks, checked in and went to TSA (same airport and airline FYI) where I was lectured again, this time for NOT using TSA locks. Go figure.

This seems to be the pattern so I've gotten in the habit of bringing both types of locks so when I get lectured by TSA I can swap to whatever lock they want that day.

The other interesting thing that happens on almost every trip, regardless of the locks, is that I generally find that all my luggage has been hand searched with little notes from either TSA and/or German Customs in each bag plus there is one round of each ammo type missing. Never more than one round but almost always one. Weird.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to Walmart and get a set of four same keyed locks. Simple. I use ones like this
    http://www.masterlock.com/products/produ...&showquiz=0

Been using them for years and flown all over the country with no problems. </div></div>

I found that same exact set at the local hardware store. Fits my case perfectly.