• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Which magazine to have loaded in a carry gun?

kellogg2185

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
And why?

For example, you have both a five round (flush fit) and six round magazine (grip extension).

Would it be better to have the additional round already in the gun, and better control due to the larger grip? Or have the flush fit magazine for better concealment, and then the additional help seating the reloading magazine that the extension offers?

Maybe a fairly basic question, but one I don't know the answer to.

Re: Which magazine to have loaded in a carry gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tend to go with the largest magazine in the gun that I can still conceal. </div></div>

This.

13 round mag with 12 in it and one in the chamber for a Glock 21

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tend to go with the largest magazine in the gun that I can still conceal. </div></div>

This. </div></div>

Ha, well I understand this, but until I throw down another $60 for a couple more magazines, was looking for what was the better choice. As it's a small pistol, I can conceal it easily either way, flush mag or extended. Just didn't know if there was an advantage of one preference over the other. Seeing as there were so many "tactical" considerations when it came to my question on open carry, I figured there was some set in stone opinions on this. Aside from my 6+1 Kahr magically morphing into a high capacity Glock/1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">13 round mag with 12 in it and one in the chamber for a Glock 21</div></div>

Of course, the Kahr/Glock conversion kit. So simple! Hell, I'll just go fully prepared, and use my Play Dough kit to make this an FN 5.7 with 30+1. Yes!

Don't get wrapped around the axle worrying about how many rounds your carry weapon has in the magazine. Practice alot with whatever you plan to carry, prove it's reliability and hone your skills across the board and you'll find that variables such as magazine capacity and accessories are not as important as you may think.

tennessean: Yeah, I'm not real terribly worried about it, but thought I'd find some sort of reasoning why one is better to have if you're limited to the two, different magazines. Thank you for your advice though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tend to go with the largest magazine in the gun that I can still conceal. </div></div>

He's right. Concealment is great but if you have occasion to present the weapon the extra round may separate winner from dead guy.

as long as it isn't an inconvenience I would carry the mag that allows more capacity and control.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the one with ammo in it</div></div>

+1.......and the one that works

i used to carry a G19 gen 1 with its standard mag and then i had two G17 mags with a +2 for extra mags since they fit.

To add to what I posted above, everything is a tradeoff. The one parameter that is absolute, is concealability. So, start there. Now, you have 2 different magazines. And you say you can conceal it with either one, then use the "higher" capacity one. As LawnMM pointed out, the extra round could make a difference. There seems to be this theory with people that they need a tremendous amount of ammunition/mags on their person as though they are going to get into the gun battle of the century. Few seem to realize that the extra mag or mags are there mostly in case the current one breaks or malfs. Then you have a fall back. And personally, I'd prefer to postpone the reload a bit. So, like I said, go with the largest you can conceal. Use the smaller one as your spare. Do you shoot better with one or the other of them? I'm guessing if you do, its probably the larger one. Just food for thought.

Thanks NW1911, that's what I was looking for. I always have carried the 6 round magazine in the pistol, with my backup being the flush fitting 5 round. I like having more control with the finger extension, it's a small pistol. But I'd read another post on this forum the other day about making sure when buying/upgrading magazines, to make sure and get ones with good rubber pads at the bottom (forgive my ignorance of the proper term for it) as they help insure proper seating when reloading. That may have been geared more for IDPA/comp shooting though.

* I appreciate all the smartass/witty replies too, as after snooping on this site for a little bit, I've seen some great stuff. Especially the particularly ingenious gems such as,"the one that works". I'm keeping that one in mind for my upcoming Mensa online test...

Hey Kellogg,

Alot of folks here gave you good advice. No one really gives a shit what you carry, they were just being nice. I don't detect smartassedness at all.

Their advice was sincere. Good luck with your Mensa test.

Enjoy,
Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes I just want to go to peoples houses and just slap the snot of them. </div></div>

Sounds like every night at work for me!

I noticed with my glock 27 a grip extention on both my gun in holster, and extra mag in belt holder makes them way faster and easier to draw and reload. In my opinion it is more important to draw quickly and safetly than it is to have more rounds than the other guy. My 2 cents.