• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Magnet? - stainless pin tumbling?

I have the Frankford Arsenal one and it is a godsend for dealing with those little pins.

I tried an undersized magnet a year ago and became frustrated that I still had to shake every pieces of brass. Does the stronger magnet help with that? I gave up thinking that I was going to have to tap each piece of brass regardless. Is this still the case? Or is their a better mousetrap?

I just spin the mix in a media separator just like you would if you were using dry media. No magnets required.

Keep in mind that a thorough rinse is necessary for the pins to get out of the cases. If there’s a little bit of soap left, the pins will stick like crazy. I use my magnet to just transfer pins between my separator and tumbler drum.

Are you able to get all of the pins out, or do you still have to tap each one?
I am using chips not pins but I get 99.9% of the chips out by spinning in the media separator. I then rinse and toss the brass in a towel and work it back and forth to help dry. There are usually a few chips on the towel when I am done.

I use the separator to get all the water off the cases and then I use the magnet to pick up all the pins cause it is a pita to pick em up by hand