• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Muzzle Brake would you prefer??

atrs1

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2019
I have finally narrowed down my search for a muzzle brake to the Precision Armament - M11 or Precision Armament M41

Both are about the same in price, what would you guys choose?

My Rifle is a Savage 110 Tactical .308 with 20 inch barrel

7fMCo18.png

4aWacWN.png

I would go with the one that allows you to QD/adapt a suppressor.

But in all seriousness, there's a reason the Area 419, PVA, Impact, MPA brakes are so popular.

But in all seriousness, there's a reason the Area 419, PVA, Impact, MPA brakes are so popular.

Sadly we can't own supressors here in Canada, so Quick detach is not super useful to me. Just looking for something to reduce recoil and muzzle rise and make my rifle look more aesthetically pleasing.

Having owned or currently own all of those, the Precision Armament offerings hold their own. I prefer the M4-72.

Sadly we can't own supressors here in Canada, so Quick detach is not super useful to me. Just looking for something to reduce recoil and muzzle rise and make my rifle look more aesthetically pleasing.
If you're in Canada, you might as well have a good look at the Insite Arms Heathen Brake. It's made in Alberta and does an awesome job of reducing recoil and muzzle rise.

If you're in Canada, you might as well have a good look at the Insite Arms Heathen Brake. It's made in Alberta and does an awesome job of reducing recoil and muzzle rise.

I will definitely check them out,

@atrs1 I kind of assumed you were ATRS out of Calgary with that username!

The Heathen is well regarded (I own one and am very happy with it), but for less money you could also look into the new MDT brakes:

https://mdttac.com/ca_en/mdt-elite-muzzle-brake.html

Will probably run you about what the others you suggested will and if it's like the rest of the MDT stuff of late it will be effective. Reviews are positive:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mdt-elite-muzzle-brake-anyone.6904167/

I'm likely picking one up soon for a 223 rifle, just because.

I like my Area 419, but I’m curious about the Impact break.. They look badass.. Just wondering if it would be blasphemous to put one on a Rem 700 MTU? ( not trying to wreck a brother’s thread, carry on)

I would second this suggestion. Not just because Heathen is made in Canada but because it's the best muzzle brake I have used. It's compact, you can index it by hand without any tools, does a great job of reducing recoil, does not direct blast back at the shooter and it's pretty quiet for a brake.

I like my Area 419, but I’m curious about the Impact break.. They look badass.. Just wondering if it would be blasphemous to put one on a Rem 700 MTU? ( not trying to wreck a brother’s thread, carry on)

They have quite a bit less blast effect than the 419, and quite a bit less carbon build up at the muzzle as well. Easier to install as well. Oh, and it’s shorter. I have tried at least 6 different brakes, and while it doesn’t have the most recoil reduction out there, it is my favorite overall.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
+1 for MPA. Have one on my .300WM Bergara HMR and it works great at recoil reduction and I don't notice any items flying off the shooting bench next to me at the range. Can index by hand, installs in seconds.

Pick any one of the top makers and you'll never be able to tell the difference.

I have M11 on my LWRC REPR and on my Rem 700 Custom and I very much like them. I haven't found better.

Pick any one of the top makers and you'll never be able to tell the difference.

Finally a voice of reason. Nobody (that I know of) who makes brakes does any objective testing to show their effectiveness. It's all opinions both from the makers and from the users.

Had the M-11 and didn't care for it. Too big and bulky, and just not as effective as others. I have a 419 Heathen as well as several APA LB's. Either are much more effective than the M-11. AS other's have said, once you get up the major makers (MPA, APA, MDT, Insite, etc.) they're all pretty effective. But, IMHO, the M-11 was just not as effective (and probably why it's not seen as much).

Just got my first APA and it’s a gen 2 so it has the self timing feature. I like that feature a lot. My other brakes are all Dead Air quick detach suppressor mounts, and timing them has been enough of an issue that I just get them mounted by a pro. With the self timing feature, I can remove the brake for F Class rifle matches and reinstall it for PRS matches easy peasy.

Reactions: Dgucci
Lots of guys in the south run Kahntrol. Local shop here in NC, and both brothers are shooters, and they donate heavily to prize tables. Their brakes work pretty good. Good to support a local shop that supports us.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
I have a Heathen on my 300 Win. Mag. Well worth the money.

You're missing the point.

Get one of these.
20190603_131044.jpg

I like the Patriot Valley Arms Jetblast, reduces the muzzle jump to where it gives me perfect follow through and let's me see the impact, is not so loud that I would've had complaints about it or about being hit with the blast from the neighboring lanes, reduces the recoil of my 6.5 CM to "I can do this all day" level, doesn't blow dust all around me in the prone, and is self-timing and easy to install.

+1 for APA lil bastard. EASY to install and lets me spot my own hits. I shoot alone so I can't say what it's like for the next guy on the line, but I haven't noticed a real over pressure as the shooter. My 14 lb 6.5CM recoils like an AR-15.