• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Neck Thickness Trimmer Set?

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I am looking at the K&M trimmer set as it seems to be the best design. The only thing that concerns me is how you set the trimmer depth. I like how the set use the same block to adjust cutting depth, gauge fitting and pilot depth.

When reviewing the RCBS concentricity tool and trimmer set I saw that the turn depth is easily set to the right depth using the dial. The K&M just uses a screw.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you decide on the K&M, you may want to look at the 21st Century turner with the lathe attachment. I have three of them set up for different calibers since I hate changing the cutters and setting them up for caliber changes. Trimmer depth is set by trial and error measuring with a tube micrometer. Some just skim the necks others trim to a desired thickness due to chamber dimensions. Depth of cut into the shoulder needs to be carefully set as well. Critical thing is to have uniform neck lengths and the best way to achieve this is by using a case trimmer that indexes of the shoulder such as a Giraud. A good setup isn't cheap and you should have a good reason for doing so before you jump in.

I have the k&m. I don't even use the trimmer depth. I just run it until it touches the shoulder. It pretty much stops itself unless you are running at too high a speed. It does a great job

Really a big fan of the 21st Century. I hate changing things up on it too though...so I bought another cutter tool to swap in and out of the lathe.
Second choice would be the K&M tool.