• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which one is most durable/repeatable? If

yeshuascoming

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2023
Maine
So I’ve narrowed it down to these. There is a pretty significant price difference from low to high. In terms of durability, tracking and return to zero consistency, is there a clear winner/superior scope in this group or is durability close enough that I should choose based on price?
1. NF SHV 4-14x50 $1160
2. Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 $875
3. Burris XTR 3 3.3-18x50 $1149
4. Primary Arms GLX 4-16x50 $675

So I’ve narrowed it down to these. There is a pretty significant price difference from low to high. In terms of durability, tracking and return to zero consistency, is there a clear winner/superior scope in this group or is durability close enough that I should choose based on price?
1. NF SHV 4-14x50 $1160
2. Trijicon Credo 2.5-15x42 $875
3. Burris XTR 3 3.3-18x50 $1149
4. Primary Arms GLX 4-16x50 $675
Your thread question is loaded and going to get a lot of comments one way or another. Durability has so many factors - durable as compared to what? Being able to withstand bouncing around in the back of your pickup, ATV, Blackhawk? Being able to withstand your rifle/scope falling on concrete/rock from 3 feet? Going from the safe to the range in a padded case and back?

For general use all the scopes you have listed should hold up fairly well. Nightforce has a pretty good rep for durability; however, I would argue that is more with its NXS and ATACR line, the NX8 and SHV are not built to the same level as indicated by the price. Credo's have a fairly decent track record it would seem. The Burris XTR III is now being made in Philippines but it should still do well (it would be my recommended pick out of your bunch). I have no idea about the PA GLx... but it might be a Chinese scope. One other thought, the Credo 2.5-15 scopes are all SFP, were you aware of that?

Your thread question is loaded and going to get a lot of comments one way or another. Durability has so many factors - durable as compared to what? Being able to withstand bouncing around in the back of your pickup, ATV, Blackhawk? Being able to withstand your rifle/scope falling on concrete/rock from 3 feet? Going from the safe to the range in a padded case and back?

For general use all the scopes you have listed should hold up fairly well. Nightforce has a pretty good rep for durability; however, I would argue that is more with its NXS and ATACR line, the NX8 and SHV are not built to the same level as indicated by the price. Credo's have a fairly decent track record it would seem. The Burris XTR III is now being made in Philippines but it should still do well (it would be my recommended pick out of your bunch). I have no idea about the PA GLx... but it might be a Chinese scope. One other thought, the Credo 2.5-15 scopes are all SFP, were you aware of that?
Thanks for the reply. I want it to be able to withstand bouncing around in a pickup but if it takes the occasional drop (on earth/dirt) not get knocked of zero. Other than that I want to be able to dial in elevation for various distances and have the clicks correspond with poi, then return to zero. I’m aware of the credo being SFP. I wouldn’t be lower than max power when shooting distance but really my intent isn’t to be using hashes anyway but instead to twist the turrets. The Primary Arms is made in the Philippines if my research is correct.
Now that you have a clearer understanding of what I’m after, would you still choose the Burris? Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply. I want it to be able to withstand bouncing around in a pickup but if it takes the occasional drop (on earth/dirt) not get knocked of zero. Other than that I want to be able to dial in elevation for various distances and have the clicks correspond with poi, then return to zero. I’m aware of the credo being SFP. I wouldn’t be lower than max power when shooting distance but really my intent isn’t to be using hashes anyway but instead to twist the turrets. The Primary Arms is made in the Philippines if my research is correct.
Now that you have a clearer understanding of what I’m after, would you still choose the Burris? Thanks again!
Yep, I hear you. Regarding SFP, don't ever trust that you will have the mag on the correct setting, this is why FFP is far better in most situations - it eliminates any accidents. If you live in an area where wind switches and changes a lot you will want to hold wind, not dial wind. So with PA, I wonder if PLx = Japan, GLx = Philippines and SLx = China, I'm sure someone can confirm. As long as the Filipino made Burris XTR III's hold up as well as their American assembled predecessors, I still think this scope offers the most punch for its weight class.

Reactions: yeshuascoming
^lol at thinking all NF are the same. It’s an SHV. Not an NSX or ATACR. I owned one. It’s ok. Can’t drape the name on the cheap model and the more expensive ones and expect the same.

^lol at thinking all NF are the same. It’s an SHV. Not an NSX or ATACR. I owned one. It’s ok. Can’t drape the name on the cheap model and the more expensive ones and expect the same.
Lowlight says they are common in his Alaska classes and all track 100 percent

Low will build what ever you want. I’m sure NF specs higher qc versus the others

Lowlight says they are common in his Alaska classes and all track 100 percent

Low will build what ever you want. I’m sure NF specs higher qc versus the others

Tracking is only part of it and higher QC costs more money. Money is saved in places. It's not an NXS or ATACR so people shouldn't expect that same durability and performance because it has the same name.

Also if you go back and look I only put Burris above the NF. Not both that you mentioned.

Reactions: BurtG
Yep, I hear you. Regarding SFP, don't ever trust that you will have the mag on the correct setting, this is why FFP is far better in most situations - it eliminates any accidents. If you live in an area where wind switches and changes a lot you will want to hold wind, not dial wind. So with PA, I wonder if PLx = Japan, GLx = Philippines and SLx = China, I'm sure someone can confirm. As long as the Filipino made Burris XTR III's hold up as well as their American assembled predecessors, I still think this scope offers the most punch for its weight class.
Thanks again. I just ordered one. I called Burris regarding a veteran discount. Bought one for well under $1K.

I haven’t used the SHV. Although I’ve looked through them. Rob is correct they’re not the tank like build of the NXS and ATACR. But that’s not necessarily needed or means it won’t work well. NF tracking is generally very good.

The Burris are decent. I’ve owned a good amount of the XTRII and if the III is as durable it will be a win and you’ll enjoy it

Not positive but I think the SHV is a 30mm tube with 90 moa travel. Where the Burris is 34mm with 120 moa available

Marketing works...you are a great example.
Or I have a pile of NF nxs Shv atacr that get used hard and don’t loose zero or have tracking issues.

In sharp contrast to the “best warranty cause your gonna need it “ stories I read here and see at matches.

You and 308pirate should see if the xanax and hooker dealers give 2 for 1 specials. Ya both need something