• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which powder dispenser would you recommend?

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I'm looking to trim a bit of time off of my loading. I'm currently using a Chargemaster which works well but if I can drop the majority of the powder into the tray then trickle the rest with the Chargemaster I could shave a good bit of time off. I just installed a reducer to the Chargemaster taking the tube down to 3/16" which will hopefully yield better throws but it also slows the overall process down considerably.

For example, I'm using 26.3gr of RE15 for my .223AI. If I had a dispenser I could drop approx 25gr into the Chargemaster tray and trickle in the remaining rather than waiting for the Chargemaster to dispense the entire charge.

I'm hoping that I can get away with a reasonably priced unit since I'm not looking for exact pours, what would you guys recommend? I just dropped $110 on an ultrasonic cleaner to try on brass so I'm not looking to break the bank of this purchase if I can avoid it.

TIA

Re: Which powder dispenser would you recommend?

I use a LEE PPM and don't have any complaints. As long as I throw the lever consistently, it meters consistently. If I don't then it can be off a little.

I would bet you could find one pretty cheap and it will work fine if you are going to trickle to the final charge.

I had been looking at one of the Chargemasters. They look like a really slick setup.

A set of Lee dippers is $8.

Have you considered reprogramming your chargemaster? Apparently you can program it to dump faster in the beginning and wait longer before going into trickle mode. I don't have one yet, but read a thread on this a while back. Can't seem to find it though.

With the Mickey-Dee straw trick and a little bit of judicious tweaking of the speed shift points (search for Chargemaster settings and you'll find the details) mine throws charges about as fast as I need.

-Dump the charge
-Put pan back on scale; it settles in and begins auto-dispensing
-Put bullet on case mouth, pick up and stick it in the press.
-Gently seat bullet (Chargemaster should be slowing down for trickle mode by now).
-Wipe lube off loaded round and place in ammo box.
-Pick up completed charge from Chargemaster and repeat as needed.

Does it need to go faster than you can seat bullets? Sooner or later you'll need to slow down and do that step anyway - scores downrange generally improve if you do
wink.gif

If you feel that you can do each step separately (powder charging and bullet seating) faster than doing both at the same time (or if its just one of those things where too many things to keep track of at once - I have those days now and again...), then get a LEE PPM for ~$20, set it a half-grain or so light, and let 'er rip. Only problem is the Lee has such a puny powder reservoir you'll be filling it all the bloody time... probably ways around that for a creative sort of fellow.

YMMV,

Monte

I used to use my chargmaster all the time. I recently got a Redding BR powder dispenser and throw a charge then remove or add a tenth or two (its usually throws a tenth or two high or low). I've found that I actually load a little faster this way.

Also, if I throw the charge dead on with my Redding it only took 3 seconds to throw it where as my chargemaster takes about 25-30 seconds per charge (even when it throws high or low).

I have already tinkered with the programming in the Chargemaster but by reducing the output tube to 3/16" it really slows things down but is supposed to be more accurate. I'll find out soon.

I'm going to look into the dippers, sounds like that may be sufficient and if the reducer doesn't work I haven't spent a bunch of money for no reason. If it does work out I can upgrade to a better dispenser.

charge master is overated and slow....
set uniflo alittle shy and one to two taps on a trickler your there in half the time.. this method is used on all my sub moa loads regardless what powder im dropping.

"charge master is overated and slow....
set uniflo alittle shy and one to two taps on a trickler your there in half the time.. this method is used on all my sub moa loads regardless what powder im dropping."

Yes, and ditto the Redding 3BR measure.

Why so many people think digital scales and digital power dumpsters are so "fast" baffles me. All I can think of is their manual dispenser, beam scale and trickler are poorly positioned for a smooth work flow. ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why so many people think digital scales and digital power dumpsters are so "fast" baffles me. All I can think of is their manual dispenser, beam scale and trickler are poorly positioned for a smooth work flow. ?? </div></div>

Try working up 40 different charge weights for load development or multiple cartridges manually, then you'll understand.

he is not talking about 40 different loads. I believe he is talking about sitting down and dumping some serious charge on a load he has already worked up. sounds like the work is done. and now it is time to load for play.

I have a uniflow and it works just great

You can purchase one for $79 from sinclair, not sure if anyone else has them cheaper but i guess there would be lower price out there.

If you are only loading up for one load, or a small amount of loads this should suffice.

In the future should you have more and more different loads you could always purchase the micrometer insert for it to speed up you adjustments.

If you are not using a digital dispenser, you are still living in the stone age IMHO.

RCBS Uniflow with the $4.00 aluminum powder baffle. Throws very close with extruded powders and using a plastic Lee powder scoop a couple kernels can be tapped into your scale pan easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jameswm3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he is not talking about 40 different loads. I believe he is talking about sitting down and dumping some serious charge on a load he has already worked up. sounds like the work is done. and now it is time to load for play. </div></div>

And I was pointing out that if you have need to adjust your powder throw or scale setting, manual measures aren't so fast either. My digital throws powder fast enough that I must work efficiently just to get a bullet seated and place the cartridge in the box before the next charge is ready; something else you can't do with your hands busy messing with manual tools
smirk.gif

Anyway you slice it (unless you are prone to sitting around charging cases and doing nothing else), digital allows you to perform multiple tasks at once; thus saving you time. Less than 20 seconds after my last charge is thrown, my last loaded round is put away. Or, if your dispenser is really slow or you're loading high volume cases, you could prime all your cases while throwing charges, then seat the first batches of charged cases while the later batches are charging. You would have to be loading a metric shit ton to ever run out of cases while "waiting" on a charge. I've done over a thousand in one sitting without ever having to wait on a charge. The only way to beat that is to go progressive, but then you sacrifice charge accuracy for speed.

I submit that anyone who would argue manual throw and trickle is faster than a dispenser, either doesn't load much, or is incapable of multitasking.

Chargemaste, it is the only one that i have, but it works fine, won't be looking for another.

I have used a blending mull powder dump for 25 years for my rifle loads.The blending mull is the most accurate powder dump ever made.I only use it on my rifle loads.If I am going to load something on my single stage press I use a RCBS UNI FLOW. I find that my Dillon dumps are pretty good, and for pistol it is just fine.
The Blending Mull powder dump is the most accurate there is, if you can't find one you could buy a Brass CVA BP powder measurer, make sure you buy the round one.It would be easy to make a stand for it.
I hope this helps. I don't claim to be a master reloader, i have just been reloading since 1973 and have learn everything the hard way.
If I can be of any help to you, feel free to contact me.
CAG

" submit that anyone who would argue manual throw and trickle is faster than a dispenser, either doesn't load much, or is incapable of multitasking."

You misread the point, that being the digitals really aren't enough different to justify fooling with them. Those who can't work manual powder systems as quickly as it's needed may be able to "multitask" great but they don't have much of an effective work flow pattern.

I reprogrammed my Chargemaster and got a McDonald's straw, it slides in the powder outlet nicely. It will throw 42 gr in 14 to 18 seconds accurately