• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which powder?

Justinray

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2013
How do you decide on a powder? I'm reloading for an 18" 30-06, a 24" .308, 4.5" .45, and 22" 30-30... I've seen all the talk about slow burning powder and fast burning powder. But dont know which to get.

Do you have reloading manuals with load data?

I start by selecting a bullet. For my loads I try and select a powder (for my chosen bullet) that has high velocity and low pressure. Hodgdon has a good very selection and they publish pressure data.

You will be lucky to find one powder that will work for both the 30-30 and 308. Likely you will end up with 4 different powders.

The most versatile powder that I know of is either one of the 4895's. A very good starting place.

I know I want 2800-3200 out of the 308 and 30-06. Both pushing 175's.

How do you decide on a powder?
You read a reloading manual and see what powders are listed, and then see what powders you can buy. Powder is so scarce right now, that you'll be selecting powders based on what you can actually buy.

I know I want 2800-3200 out of the 308 and 30-06. Both pushing 175's.

Its good to have a healthy fantasy life.

46" barrel? C'mon man no one is going to take you serious now. Might want to pick up a reloading manual and do some research.

Everything I've read says my numbers aren't unrealistic; but this is all just what I've read, not what I've actually seen. So if they are unrealistic, what are more realistic velocities for the 30-06 and 308?

If you can find any, 4895 will work great in all three of your rifle loads. You're not going to see top notch velocities in the 30-06, but you should find the rifles accuracy potential.

18" 30-06. This doesn't happen to be a Remington autoloader?

No sir, Remington 700.

After further review, I'll change that to 2400-2600. Sorry about that, I'm new to reloading (obviously) and had it written down for some reason.

ya, but can he find get varget? I've not seen it in stock anywhere, but for a few moments.

I'd be looking more to a IMR/AA/H 4064.

Should get you 2650-2700 with a 175 out of the 308. Probably only about 2500 out of the -06 due to the short barrel. And will also work with the 30-30.

The other big plus, is powder valley, and bruno's have some 4064 in stock right now.

4064 is a good choice, varget is good too. varget can get some decent velocities, not sure how high if your barrel is short, but it is quite versatile. I use it in .223 and in my 30.06. I found it at my local gunshop, not too hard to find in my area.

ask at your LGS about the .45. I use several powders for my handguns, but my go to is Tite-Group by Hodgdon. Handguns and rifles usually use quite different powders.

3031 for your 30/30, but 4895 will work too. As noted, finding powders will be the problem. Research loading data, you will probably end up starting with something other than optimal, but don't worry, with some trial and error, you can make good loads with a lot of different powders. Each rifle is different in it's accuracy "nodes." Have fun

I suggest you concentrate on one at a time. I suggest you start with the 308. The 45 is a bit complicated, compared to bottlenecked cartridges and the 30/30 is like honey badger, it just don't care. You will really need to do your homework on the short barreled '06. This requires a considerably faster powder than you will see in the manuals.

So, with all the data available for 308, it would be hard to come up with a load that is a bad idea, even considering the shortages. This is a very easy cartridge for a beginner. BB

PS but, the message is to get one gun dialed in before tackling others. Stay focused.

I suggest you concentrate on one at a time. I suggest you start with the 308. The 45 is a bit complicated, compared to bottlenecked cartridges and the 30/30 is like honey badger, it just don't care. You will really need to do your homework on the short barreled '06. This requires a considerably faster powder than you will see in the manuals.

So, with all the data available for 308, it would be hard to come up with a load that is a bad idea, even considering the shortages. This is a very easy cartridge for a beginner. BB

PS but, the message is to get one gun dialed in before tackling others. Stay focused.

Thank you!

30/30: 35 grains Winchester 748 & 150 grain bullet. Haven't found a 30/30 that didn't like this load yet. Remember on level actions/tube magazine you need to crimp.

I would try imr4895 or 4064 if I was looking for one powder to load 168's to 175's, in 308/30 06.