• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which QD suppressor?

biner626

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2010
Goodlettsville,TN
I plan on buying a suppressor or two this year. I want to start with a QD version for my Semi Auto rifles. Seeing the AAC SDN-6 thread has given me second thoughts on that one. Which would you suggest and why?

No problems with my SDN6 but anyway take a look at the new TBAC 30BAS. It's not a traditional "QD" or ratchet type mount but it does attach over their brake for quick on/off while utilizing effective muzzle break. Lightweight, short and repeatable min POI shift...TBAC makes great stuff!

Yeah, I was looking at those. They may be a viable option. I didn't like the brakes appearance much. I'm keeping the SDN6 on the list though. Thanks for the feedback.
1. SDN6
2. Arbiter
3. 30BAS
Not ranking these in any particular order. I'm just putting a list together.

Last edited:
I have an SDN6 and 5 mounts. 4 of them have an ever so slight wobble. Doesnt seem to affect accuracy at all. I stopped worrying about it.

Caliber?

what are your other requirements? Weight, length, DB reduction, POA/POI shift, brake v FH (and the effectiveness thereof), warranty?

I like SF products for QD.

I'm wanting a .30 cal brake attach. Weight and repeatability would top my list. Cost would be a minor factor as well. I should also mention that it is primarily being used on a carbine .308. I'm looking at something under $1300 including stamp.

Last edited:
I have an SDN6 and 5 mounts. 4 of them have an ever so slight wobble. Doesnt seem to affect accuracy at all. I stopped worrying about it.

I have an spr/m4, 5.56 not .308, with the ratchet style mount and it wobbles. I do get a change in accuracy from tight to wobbly. May be hit or miss or rifle dependent. The shift is not huge but i can tell after 2 or 3 shots when it loosens up. The suppression and build quality are great but I will never buy a ratchet mount for a precision rifle again. Carbine i would have no issues.

I have an spr/m4, 5.56 not .308, with the ratchet style mount and it wobbles. I do get a change in accuracy from tight to wobbly. May be hit or miss or rifle dependent. The shift is not huge but i can tell after 2 or 3 shots when it loosens up. The suppression and build quality are great but I will never buy a ratchet mount for a precision rifle again. Carbine i would have no issues.

Mine dont loosen up, they just dont QUITE get to the final tooth. Mine on my bolt gun shoots .5 MOA groups, same on my MWS. With that said I will own a Thunderbeast screw on some day. I bought the SDN6 to use on a 10.5" 5.56 gun and a 9" 300BLK gun. The fact that I can put it on my bolt gun and my MWS is a bonus IMO.

Mine dont loosen up, they just dont QUITE get to the final tooth. Mine on my bolt gun shoots .5 MOA groups, same on my MWS. With that said I will own a Thunderbeast screw on some day. I bought the SDN6 to use on a 10.5" 5.56 gun and a 9" 300BLK gun. The fact that I can put it on my bolt gun and my MWS is a bonus IMO.

Huh...that's interesting. Mine will grab the final tooth but not all the way. It will sit there locked up very tight and back off ever so slightly as I shoot to end in the position you describe. It is nice to be able to move it around between rifles. That is 100% true.

Another option may be the sas arbiter ti. This is a very nicely priced supressor and uses a thread over muzzle brake. I have had great luck with this design. It is probably under you 1300 mark all in and the stainless model is a couple hundred cheaper than that. I have never used the stainless though.

I have several. The yhm Ti is decent on weight, loquat on suppression, but a good can. I have the arbiter as well, but direct thread. I think a qd arbiter would rank up there pretty high if I were going to do a form 4 again.

I wouldnt suggest a Ti can for semi auto firing schedule. Sustained heat and Ti do not get along.
If you want a can that can perform on both semi auto and bolt guns.... that is QD, take a look at the Mack Bros 30 cal can.
Buy a few mounts and rock on. TBAC would be my other choice.

Yes. My SA runs much hotter than my BA. So, would one see Ti erosion/breakdown? Is Inconnel any better? This might warrant one with a better warranty.

Ti can deform under a constant heat load. You need something with a mix of materials to pull off a good lightweight can that can take abuse.

If you are dead set on QD....

What caliber is the semi auto?
How fast are you going to fire this?

I will have a few suppressors with me at RCSC on the 27th, you're welcome to come take a look and we can talk more in person.

Sounds good KYS. I would mount it to my .308 carbine. Double duty on a .223 carbine and it may see a future on a 300BLK SBR if I ever get around to stamping/building. I just wanted to be able to get the most bang for my buck on my first suppressor purchase.
a3uru3aq.jpg

Last edited:
I won't be going into combat with one.. Might use in a 3 gun match..

He is using 17-4 and the brake lines up with the first baffle to take the brunt of the unburnt powder.

If Curtis says it will work I will trust him..
Hell, I can't afford to do mag dumps anyways!!

Surefire SoCOM 762rc for a true QD.

If you want a thread on MB Mount, then Curtis' Templar Tactical ARK is very hard to beat.

Now KY is right about the Ti and high round count shooting. But Curtis says his cans will stand up to it and he will back them up. I saw one of his cans on my m-16 with an LWRC 10.5" barrel. It's means nothing other than it didn't blow up since we didn't run 500 rds through it. But it sounded good on the 10.5" upper.

Last edited:
SAS Ti QD
or YHM Ti QD

both around 800-900$

i wanted the SAS, but couldnt find 1, for got the YHM... it has been great...

the YHM is inconel baffles i believe, at least the blast baffle is...

Last edited:
Been happy with my Gemtech HVT quickmount. It isn't light and it isn't short, but I can also use it on my .223 and it is full-auto rated in case you want see how fast you can empty the mag. Silencerresearch.com tested a bunch of .30 and .223 cans and this one was towards the top of the list on both tables. It was just under $900 when I got it a few years ago, but I'm not sure on the current price. I've shot out to just under 1000 yards the POI has been as consistent as I can make it.

I have a YHM S/S .556 and a buddy has a .556 and .30 TI. Never had a lick of trouble from any of them. Very repeatable as well.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

I can't say too much since i have access to a lathe and some free stainless now, i will be making a form 1 can for my .308. My class 3 dealer happens to be a good friend and he is a YHM dealer. He speaks very highly of them and their phantom cans and owns one for all his rifles. The people that visit his shop that have them love them also.

Aside from them i hear a lot of good things about the thunderbeast too... But I'm not sure if they have a qd model.

I have a 9mm can for my lone wolf sbr and a .22 can. I really see no benefit to a qd other than saving 30 seconds taking of off/on.

A qd can will always be heavier than its non qd version (thread on can weight vs qd can + mount weight) and the less weight you stick on the end of your barrel the better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:
Are the burrs by design? The more airflow disruption, the better.

I don't think so. It looks like whatever they used for the machining was dull. There are 2 really noticeable burrs towards the middle. I hit them with a round file and thought they were gone. I looked down it after shooting and there they were exactly like before. I think I simply bent them over like it was some flashing. They were there before I ever fired a round through it. When I got the can it was chock full of metal dust and filings. The exit hole at a lip at one edge. Just shoddy fit and finish. It works but I wish I would have gone with something else.

Well it is known they do make some of the cheapest cans out there. They are good if you want to spend less and aren't very picky. I would not doubt the safety of them tho.

My dealer buddy tried hard to get me to buy yhm for my 9mm and 22 but swr was just better and in the price range /performance i was looking for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I've used AAC, Knights, Surefire, OPS Inc, Liberty, Gemtech and YHMco. I considered several different companies and finally settled on YHMco and the Gemtech. I liked the AAC tirant but after several months waiting for the store to even get delivery I settled on the YHMco 45 suppressor and I have been more than happy with it. I like the products that YHMco produce well enough I am waiting for delivery of a 30 cal QD so I can begin the wait on the stamp.

I have seen everything from 10-12 months down to as few as 2-3 months. Luck of the draw I guess

After many years of deliberation I started outfitting a few rifles with the YHM QD muzzle devices in preparation for the 30 cal Ti Phantom. I have 5.56 QD brakes on two ARs, a 30 cal brake on my LTR and flash hider on my SA SOCOM 16. I have a 30 cal brake waiting for delivery of my SBR 300BLK.
I just received my Phantom last week and am very happy with it on all rifles, keeping in mind not to abuse it on the semis. It's primary purpose was for use on the LTR, and the 300BLK came along which will be icing on the cake. The SOCOM 16 and ARs I set up for it just because I could. Love the versatility! The YHM seems quality enough for me, also. No issues with appearance or workmanship.

Overall, with cost, availability, versatility and quality - I'd do the YHM Ti Phantom again. It may not be the cutting edge, but seems to be a proven solid performer. Which is what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Based on my own personal experience, I really believe that Surefire suppressors are a fool-proof way to go, especially on a gas gun.

IMG_0008_30.jpg

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

The above photos represent just a fraction of the guns with which my SF suppressors have been employed. Zero bad experiences. All positive ones.

I got my first SF suppressor a year or two after the first 5.56 model came out. The reports in the gun mags on it were overwhelmingly favorable, but we all know we can't believe everything we read. My decision was based more on several years of excellent service from other SF products plus the fact I got a screaming deal on that suppressor. This was my first experience shooting suppressed, and I was hooked. Two more SF suppressors later, I'm a bigger fan than ever. They make the precision guns even more accurate, the brakes work well as stand-alone devices (especially on the .308), and the cans refuse to die.

I'm looking forward to the paperwork clearing on a new SOCOM in each caliber.

I can appreciate that MSTN. I have to look at cost though. $1600 vs $1100 is a big deal.
BTW, your website has been down a while. Y'all still building rifles in TN?

7.62 Specwar

Brakes aren't available yet though.

It's worth your time to take a look.

Maybe there's a dealer in your area that can help you check one out.

Another vote for the YHM Phantom Ti QD. I have several thousand .223 and .308 through mine, both semi-auto (10.5" and 16") and bolt action (20") with no complaints. Once I did a 60 round mag dump with an M16 and it did not hurt the can. YHM said the Ti cans were good for 60 rounds FA but then needed to cool before they were shot anymore. I did the M16 as a torture test and don't pan on doing it again, just wanted to try it once. I'm 100% happy with this can.

7.62 Specwar

Brakes aren't available yet though.

It's worth your time to take a look.

Maybe there's a dealer in your area that can help you check one out.

This is good advise. The specwar is a very good value. Until you really get your hands on the different QD models and examine them you cant make a informed decision. A stocking dealer with multiple brands and no dog in the race is worth a premium IMHO. Im no expert but I would look at the specwar, the surefires($) and yes the YHMs before buying anything else. I believe there is no shortage of dealers with wide stock in your state. Keep in mind if you are like most you will also be buying multiple QD muzzle devices. This locks you in to whatever can and brand you select. When you go to the dealer have a open mind but realize you are committing to product/brand/company with your first qd purchase much more so than with a direct attach purchase. Because resale is limited by stamp cost upgrading or changing paths is not cost effective. The can is pretty much yours for life. Choose a product that matches your particular style, and yes price point is one characteristic of style, but think it over, look at the models, and then go drink a pepsi before you make the purchase and do the paperwork.

Last edited:
I can appreciate that MSTN. I have to look at cost though. $1600 vs $1100 is a big deal.
BTW, your website has been down a while. Y'all still building rifles in TN?

"Buy once - Cry once."

I don't know of any shortcuts to quality, repeatability, and accuracy. After $200 to the Treasury Dept and a 6 - 9 month wait, $500 saved won't seem like such a big deal if your $1100 suppressor turns out to be a disappointment.

Our website is at this point a bit of an embarrassment, after being down for 5 years. But, we're still building lotsa stuff, so I guess the website is not absolutely essential. And our "website down" page gives folks a way to reach us.

This. At the end of the wait, you won't be worried about a little extra money, you'll be wanting your investment to have been worthwhile. Do it right the first time. Shortcuts with NFA are a really bad idea.

"Buy once - Cry once."

I don't know of any shortcuts to quality, repeatability, and accuracy. After $200 to the Treasury Dept and a 6 - 9 month wait, $500 saved won't seem like such a big deal if your $1100 suppressor turns out to be a disappointment.

Our website is at this point a bit of an embarrassment, after being down for 5 years. But, we're still building lotsa stuff, so I guess the website is not absolutely essential. And our "website down" page gives folks a way to reach us.

This: Recce 7 -

Great mounting system (AAC mount Sucks, as does their politics, litigation and ownership)
Cheap
Flash Comp is every bit as good as a BC/Dyna/MAMS without the can on

Or a surefire. For the price of a surefire and the brake, you can get two Griffins with mounts.

I was dead set on the SDN6, but this is a better can/system.

If I had it to do over, I'd have gotten a couple of thread ons. Listen to Delta, he's got some experience here.

I have an SDN6. What I can say good about it is that it is pretty damn quiet and well made, the suppressor anyway. Inconel blast baffle and high grade stainless steel, all welded construction. Not too long for the performance. Works great on 5.56-7.62, and awesome on .300BLK subs.

The mounts are a different story, as has been the CS. I've said enough about 'em on here, I don't need to say anymore.

Yeah, in a do over, I'd have gotten two thread ons, a 5.56 and a 7.62. Lots of folks on here like TBAC, but I've heard good about Liberty (I'm going with them for a titanium .22 can) and Elite Iron (going with them for the .50 can). All of them make thread ons for several calibers, all have good names from what I can tell. AAC might make a good thread on too, they do use good materials, and if the SDN6 was a thread on it'd be awesome.

Not every suppressor that works well on a bolt gun will in turn work so well on a gas gun. Reason: Excessive back pressure for gas driven systems is produced by some otherwise superlative suppressors. I'd stick to Surefire on a gas gun .... and still maybe go with an adjustable gas block, PST, Switchblock, etc.

Or a gas port size that will ONLY run suppressed may be the best answer for some. Two of my rigs shown above ONLY run suppressed. No excessive bolt carrier rearward velocity, much less blowback (can't get away from some!), less carbon to clean up, hardly any recoil, and normal full auto rates of fire.

Not that full auto does anything really useful. But checking the full auto cyclic rate is the best way to check to see if the bolt carrier group is getting the right amount of gas to do its job optimally.

Last edited:
Not every suppressor that works well on a bolt gun will in turn work so well on a gas gun. Reason: Excessive back pressure for gas driven systems is produced by some otherwise superlative suppressors. I'd stick to Surefire on a gas gun .... and still maybe go with an adjustable gas block, PST, Switchblock, etc.

Or a gas port size that will ONLY run suppressed may be the best answer for some. Two of my rigs shown above ONLY run suppressed. No excessive bolt carrier rearward velocity, much less blowback (can't get away from some!), less carbon to clean up, hardly any recoil, and normal full auto rates of fire.

Not that full auto does anything really useful. But checking the full auto cyclic rate is the best way to check to see if the bolt carrier group is getting the right amount of gas to do its job optimally.

I was planning ahead(kinda) and placed a SLR DA7 gas block on the MATEN. I knew I wanted one, but, I wanted the clamp on DA7. It was over gassed without it. The AR15 will have to wait for an adjustable GB. 300 blackout will definitely need one with switching from subs to super.

If your 300 blackout has the right sized port in the right spot, an adjustable gas block is unnessecary.

I was planning ahead(kinda) and placed a SLR DA7 gas block on the MATEN. I knew I wanted one, but, I wanted the clamp on DA7. It was over gassed without it. The AR15 will have to wait for an adjustable GB. 300 blackout will definitely need one with switching from subs to super.

This: Recce 7 -

Great mounting system (AAC mount Sucks, as does their politics, litigation and ownership)
Cheap
Flash Comp is every bit as good as a BC/Dyna/MAMS without the can on

Or a surefire. For the price of a surefire and the brake, you can get two Griffins with mounts.

I was dead set on the SDN6, but this is a better can/system.

Those are some VERY interesting cans!

The taper mount appears to avoid any of the problems that QD mounts have with precision applications while offering significantly better ability to not come loose over a standard thread on.

Weight is comparable to Ti cans but Griffins are full auto rated!

Price point is on par with budget cans.

The Griffin cans would seem to be what most are seeking in a can, something that wont introduce problems in their bolt guns, while still being able to run hard on their semis without fear of coming loose and possible baffle strike.

Am I missing something? Why are the Griffins not more popular?

Why are the Griffins not more popular?

I have a both a RSTA and a M4SD-II and a Knights QDSS-NT4 and I would say that the griffin M4SD-II is every bit the suppressor the NT4 is, to my ear in fact it sounds slightly quieter.

The RSTA is on a 300WSM and it literally is the same as an unsuppressed 22lr, I am way happy.

I am eyeing a Recce 7 now for another build.

Before I found snipershide, I didn't know any of the following existed. Vortex, IOR, S&B, Steiner, Atlas bipods, whiskey 3 chassis, XLR chassis, GAP there are probably a hundred others. I would assume that a lot of it has to do with marketing and also the bigger companies will "buy" shelf space.

Besides gun items I own a few other things that a "unknown" manufacturer produced a better product for cheaper (because they had little to no marketing) the house hold names are not always the best. It would be like inventing a new soft drink right now, the big names have so much market share it is tough to get your foot in the door.

I don't want to come across as a fan-boy but Griffin did deliver two great cans for an awesome price through the group buy they did awhile back. Templar Tactical is another that did a awesome group buy, but I have yet to receive those cans.

Last edited:
Those are some VERY interesting cans!

The taper mount appears to avoid any of the problems that QD mounts have with precision applications while offering significantly better ability to not come loose over a standard thread on.

Weight is comparable to Ti cans but Griffins are full auto rated!

Price point is on par with budget cans.

The Griffin cans would seem to be what most are seeking in a can, something that wont introduce problems in their bolt guns, while still being able to run hard on their semis without fear of coming loose and possible baffle strike.

Am I missing something? Why are the Griffins not more popular?

It's really encouraging to hear this from a random consumer. This was basically the design theory to these taper mount cans. Rock solid muzzle device options that take out the sometimes negative traits of QD systems with cans that are highly durable as well as weight and sound competitive.

The reason why these cans are not more popular is that they are brand new to the market and it takes a long time to transfer from the dealer to the individual. The taper mounted cans have started selling and probably won't be in the wild so to speak until next spring/summer. We will have them on display at shot show if anyone is interested in dropping by to take a look. They are billet machined and fully welded throughout, they have high sound performance without having overly tight cheater bores. Case in point the M4SD suppressor series has a taper EDM cut bore with a .304 exit aperture. It has great freedom from baffle strikes without a loss in db efficiency at 34db. Also all of our new cans are fully machined from a material with an extremely high temperature resistance. It's approximately 3 times the strength of 300 series stainless, twice as strong as 718 Inconel at room temp and as strong as 718 at 1600F. We recently had a swat team run 600 rounds through an M4SDII suppressor in about 15 minutes. It was beat but the baffle bore looked great. I have alot of confidence in these cans. The M4SD's should be on the GSA schedule soon, lord willing.

We've been very happy with the POI shift associated with our cans. Our practical field testing has seen ~1-~1.5 MOA of shift with our M4SD cans, 1/4-1/3 MOA shift with the RSTA and SPR over the barrel suppressors, and ~.5 MOA shift with the PHS taper mount cans. Of course it depends on the platform. Generally speaking the longer and more slender the barrel of the host weapon the greater shift will be present.

Our Warranty is spelled out here:

Warranty -

Colonial Armory had a chance to test out the PHS 300 Magnum can, as well as the checkmate rimfire can and M4SDII. Anyone that needs 3rd party info can ask him for his opinion and he would be glad to give it to you.

Thanks,
-Evan

Last edited: