• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Which rangefinder, Leica 1200 or Bushnell 1500 ARC

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
I have it narrowed to the two of them. The Leica seems to have better glass from what I hear, but the bushy seems to have a better laser? I have already searched and read, just want some new opinions maybe. Thanks fellows

Re: Which rangefinder, Leica 1200 or Bushnell 1500 ARC

I bought one of the first Leica 800 LRF at a gun show from a dealer who just happened to be in the area. It worked flawlessly!
When the light was right it would range up into the 900's. It would lock up on deer at 600 yds.
Anyway, one day I dropped it and it hit the shifter in the truck. When I went to use it , it still ranged but display was out of focus. Tookk it in to a Leica dealer to send in to get fixed. They said would be 6 weeks and I would have to pay shipping up front, $25.00.
Got a call a week later to pick up my LRF. They couldn't fix mine, so Leica sent me a new 900LRF at no charge. The 7x optic is the same quality as their binoculars. I think their laser is second to none, but my only other experience was with a friends early Bushnell and it sucked. I would go with super quality and 1200 yds.

Rich

The Leica is a better unit, no question. If you want a better one, check out the Zworofski 1500, spelt wrong I know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlsmith22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have it narrowed to the two of them. The Leica seems to have better glass from what I hear, but the bushy seems to have a better laser? I have already searched and read, just want some new opinions maybe. Thanks fellows </div></div>

I tested both. The Leica is better in every way to the Elite 1500.

Glass on the Leica is better, but the Bushy ranges farther in my tests. Ive ranged a car with mine at over 1300 yards, man sized targets at 900 and 1K, while my friends Leica couldnt hit any of them. Both were on tripods for the test.

For a low dollar unit, the Elite 1500 is hard to beat, but if you want something better, I would skip the Leica and goto a Swaro.

I am running an Elite 1500 and am very happy with it. For the money I spent on it (and I got a hell of a deal), I just can't justify a much more expencive unit. This one has done everything I need it to do.

It will return distances on non-reflective targets reliably out to 750 yards in brite sunlight. I have ranged a white building at 1350 yards through light brush. It bounces off windows really well.

I would definitely agree, if you are going to step up to the big money guys, go ahead and go Swaro.

I have the Leica 1200 scan, I would not buy another, the Swaro kicks ass, but is more than twice the price, the glass on the Bushnell sucks and the laser on my buddies will not range past 1100 on a cloudy day.

The Bushnell has the ARC whereas the Leica does not . The Leica is a great unit and I have had several different models starting with the older 800 , the 900 scan and the 1200 scan . The glass is good on the Leica but on real targets (ie wildlife and humans) I only got about 2/3 the advertised yardage . My Dad has a Bushnell with the ARC and its really nice when ranging stuff at an angle but gives up a little bit of range to the Leica and the glass is not as good .

The Swarovski is a phenomenal LRF and at close to twice the price of everything else it should be . Unfortunately the Swarovski does not have ARC technology which would probably make it the perfect LRF . It all boils down to whats important to you .

Owned both, now just the Leica, The bushy arc just didn't cut the cheese with the aiming point or glass.

Well my deal on the Leica fell thru. I ended up getting a NIB Bushnell 1500 Elite with ARC, camo for $310 shipped...Maybe I did ok at that price, if I dont like it, I can sell it and get my money back.

Leica 1200 scan, quality glass and good laser bounce on some not very reflective targets all the way out to 1200. Mine sees a lot of use and being carried in a ruck and not babied and it has held up very nicely. The scan feature is actually pretty nice when setting up a quick range card with your partner. The only down fall to the Leica which I fixed with my Leica LRF tripod adapter was that Leica does not have a tripod hole. The adapter really helps when trying to get those small targets ranged. Save your money now that you have shot your load on that Bushnell and get you a Leica 1200 scan LRF.

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own the Leica 1200 scan and love it! </div></div>

+1

You guys suck! I mean that in the nicest way.

I just won an auction for an older Leica 1200 Scan. It's just a little more than what the Elite 1500's are going for but WAY less than what the Swaro Laserguide runs.

I am hoping that the older horizontal form-factor 1200 Scan is on par with the slim 1200 I tested last month. If so, it will be well worth the money.

My biggest complaint with the Elite 1500 was the display was not readable at night even with the illumination. The Leica did not suffer this problem.

Since these things are floating around eBay in the $350-$500 range I will make sure I do a writeup when it comes in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since these things are floating around eBay in the $350-$500 range </div></div>

That is a good range. If one could get a good used unit for $400 +/-, it would be a no brainer.

I did a side by side comparison back when the Leica first came out. The Leica had a really nice monocular, of course, but the Bushnell beat it hands down on target acquistion in all conditions. Two other thing that Leica may or may not have changed: the Leica I had used a red square for aiming, but when you hit the ranging button, the LED aiming square disappeared. This didn't work well for distant targets that sometimes take 2 or more seconds to acquire. Imagine the crosshair in your scope disappearing just before you pulled the trigger. Also, the Leica had a cheapie 9volt battery connector that in my experience usually fails at some point, where as the Bushnell has a drop in battery compartment. Maybe Leica has changed these things, and it has been several years since I did the test, but I remember thinking the Leica's strengths were in its optics, as to be expected, but the Bushnell was better at ranging. Truth be told, I personally never would be able to shoot in conditions that were so dark that I could not read the unlit LCD of the Bushnell, and I can read it well past nautical twilight. Hope this helps, you should look at the Newcon Optics Rangefinders as well.

The ARC on the Bushnell is nice to have, the only problem I have (and I intend to contact Bushnell) is that mine will only range trees to 700 yds and game to even less. I have never ranged any object beyond 1050 yds. My buddy has the same one bought at the same time and it'll do trees to 1050 yds. I get a bit angry when they put "1500" on it and it won't range a metal building at much over 2/3 that range under any conditions.

I get to test both the Leica and the Bushnell side by side today as well. I also checked out a Swaro. The Swaro glass was awesome, no doubt. The other did not compare. Iranged billboards and signs out to 1100 yds and the Bushnell was giving me the sam reading within a yard everytime. The Leica would not range it but ever few times. I did like the display on the Leica better and the glass was close between the 2 in my opinion. I think for $310 I done well with the 1500 Elite with ARC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Truth be told, I personally never would be able to shoot in conditions that were so dark that I could not read the unlit LCD of the Bushnell, and I can read it well past nautical twilight.</div></div>

Amazingly enough at the last school I went to we lost the light during our ranging exercise. I was still able to ID and range targets with my 44mm SN-3 with the reticle illuminated. I could not even see them through the Bushnell. That is where the superior optics will shine. After ranging the targets (correctly I might add) I still could have engaged them if it was a live fire exercise.

As for how the current Leica compared to the Bushnell 1200 and 1500 you will just have to read my article. I will hopefully have it done this week.

Using my Leica CRF 1200, I killed 3 deer last year and 5 deer this year with an lightweight 270, ranging in yards from:
400 yards butt shot
500 yards double lung shot
400 yards up the spine shot
350 yards liver shot
400 yards heart shot
350 yards double lung shot
350 yards double lung shot
350 yards double head shot

I could improve my technique and my equipment, but the Leica CRF 1200 has the least room for improvement in cleaning up my act.

bushnell is not even in same ball park as leica hands down leica

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bushnell is not even in same ball park as leica hands down leica </div></div>

When it comes to optics, I agree, but not ranging. The Bushnell wins hands down in that department.

Ive been happy with my 1500 ARC, it does the range math on angle shooting. one less thing to figure out.
Can lase out to about 900yds in the field FAIRLY consistantly. Which suits me with the .308

Would like something with a bit more zing but have other things to spend that money on for small gains.

The illuminated reticle is crap, its on regardless and in low light it's just a green LED down the bottom that washes out the eyepiece. Can't be turned off.
The optics are OK but not great, as said. 7X is alright, more would be good but the 7, paired with the 15-45x spotter and 10x scope does ok.

Sell anything to get the Swaro. I have gotten 2km hits with it on a reflective, and never fret when something non-reflective is within 1500m.

Wow, once again it's impressed on me how BADLY we need a set of STANDARD TESTS and "Targets" for LRFs.

I have a Leica 1200 SCAN. Been using it for almost 2 years. I'm disappointed in it. Unfortunely there is always a bell curve of quality, and this one seems to come from the left side of it. This may be expectations, hovever. They may be too high. As I list instances below, I'm reminded of many times it does work near max range.

THE Good
Great Optic--Can resolve bullet holes better with it than with Bushnel or Zeiss Binos in 6 to 8 X range (30 to 35 mm objectives)
(Don't really use it this way, but to be specific for its resolving ability)

I've got deer more or less broadside at 400ish yards. Early summer and the crops were only ankle high. Full Woods boardered the fields past the deer so knowing the field sizes I'm very sure the deer rangings were reasonable. Here in Michigan, it's just hard to get really long distances without something blocking the view. So this isn't saying it can't hit a deer farther, I just can't get those 'shots'.

The OK
Like the Transistor 9V battery use. This likely causes much of the short "full power" lifespan, but like this common battery over some Lituium coin or small cell types. just a preference.

The UGLY
1) Battery Life quite short before "batt low warning" (flashing cursor) happens. If you persist, it will function a LONG time in the "flashing" condition however. It consistently ranges the same object from the same point a yard or two FURTHER after flashing begins than when the battery is Good.

2) I can not range a house at 1000 + yards. The houses included (they're in a line along a road) white aluminum siding; dark brown log; board-white with limestone also; board-white. The log house looks like a barn in shape, and has a lot of roof that is very steep (so somewhat perpendicular to the LRF, likely 60 deg) covered in red asphalt (tar and small stone, many reflective) shingles. It did range the wood line about 100 yards past the buildings.

3) It doesn't range past a "screen" well. Example, Could not get a reading from a farm Silo (cement) or its top (metal, shinny, doomed--and likely skattering light away from LRF), or from a white board farm house with each about 50 yards past a SINGLE line of trees along the road in front of them. The leaves were down. Multiple shots through "holes" in the limbs have been tried, but no range comes back. The distance to the screen was about 400 yards. I have gotten occasional single pulse ranges to a board cottage across a lake about 50 yards into an Oak woods. SCAN worked well on the cottage.

4) It is very good to 500 yards on almost anything. Past that, it's not so good on "point" objects (even as large as 3ft x 6 ft).

5) It will range two same size cards (one dark, one light) 1 yard different, even though they are side by side, or different parts of the same object at SAME distance away. Actually this isn't bad, just curious.

sounds like you need to send it in under warranty i pick up ground hogs in pa at 800 yds

nobody mentioned the Zeiss rangefinder.. Is it out of its league here?

I just got my Zeiss Victory LRF from Liberty today. It seems pretty solid, and ranges well at objects around the yard and neighborhood.

Shows my 22lr backyard range is off by a yard, guess I'll have to get out the tape measure and check it again. Ranged the house across the street nicely, as well as their dog. Optics are very clear, controls are easy to use.

At first blush It appears it ranges better than the Leica 900 LRF I had.

Further comments when I take it out to the field.

Bob

I read how bad the Bush 1500 was, but with limited funds and using the lrf to hunt with and to dick around checking distances I figured why not. I bought two of the Bushnell 1500 lrf for a friend and me.

I read where the Bush 1500 would only range out to 1100-1200 yards. Well heading home one day I stopped at the stop sign and ranged some oil tanks that sit aways from teh stop sign. 1684 yards. I did it again. 1684 yards. I called my friend that has the other bush 1500 and told him. He asked where at? I told him.

The next day I ranged the tank again. 1684 yards from the same location. It works for me.

I won`t knock another brand, all I know is the Bush 1500 is more than I hoped for. We paid $325 each for the Bush 1500`s. Works for us.

Where did you read the Bushy 1500 was bad?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I read how bad the Bush 1500 was, but with limited funds and using the lrf to hunt with and to dick around checking distances I figured why not. I bought two of the Bushnell 1500 lrf for a friend and me.

I read where the Bush 1500 would only range out to 1100-1200 yards. Well heading home one day I stopped at the stop sign and ranged some oil tanks that sit aways from teh stop sign. 1684 yards. I did it again. 1684 yards. I called my friend that has the other bush 1500 and told him. He asked where at? I told him.

The next day I ranged the tank again. 1684 yards from the same location. It works for me.

I won`t knock another brand, all I know is the Bush 1500 is more than I hoped for. We paid $325 each for the Bush 1500`s. Works for us. </div></div>

Big Bo,

There's a difference between ranging "Large" reflective objects and ranging smaller non reflective objects.

I must have got a defective Bushnell 1500 because mine would not range non reflective objects past 500 yards.This same B-LF would range highway signs 1600+ yards.LE kind of frown on shooting at large highway signs and big oil tanks though,LOL.

I stepped up to a Swarovski RF and there is no comparison in ranging ability between the two.The Swaro easily ranges non reflective objects out to 1300 yards.I haven't played around with it on reflective targets but I'm pretty sure it will range close to 2000 yards.

Steve

Did bushnell discontinue the elite 1500? I can not find it on their website.

Yes, the Elite 1500 has been replaced by the Legend 1200. The Legend will not range as far as the Elite 1500.

You can find dealers who still have the 1500 in stock.

You can pickup a used Leica 1200 Scan on eBay for about the same cost as a new Elite 1500.

This is the route I went. I got a perfectly functioning Leica 1200 Scan for $410 to my door.

I was just getting ready to start looking for a range finder.

From prior research and some reading on 6mmbr I was going to get a Leica 1200. Unfortunately I saw this thread and got side tracked again and found the Zeiss PRF Victory 8x16.

Has anyone tried that one out yet.

I have a Bushnell 1500 "Elite". I have ranged a IPSC target brown side out at approx 700 yards but the rangefinder must be ABSOLUTELY LOCKED DOWN.

Anybody ever try the Newcon LRM 2000?

LEICA !!!!
bushnell sucks in real world ranging @ animals
leica will range antelope past 1000 yards !

Re: Which rangefinder, Leica 1200 or Bushnell 1500

Me and 6mmfan went out to the desert today with both the bushnell and the Leica. We set up some steel down range and went back to range and shoot. We couldn't get the bushnell to give a reading on the plate but the Leica did, it was 789. I had to rest the Leica on my Jeep, mirage was bad and the conditions weren't ideal for an LRF but pretty average condition. There were some cows we figured to be at about 1000 but neither LRF would range them. So on 1/26/10 in the desert south of Las Vegas the Leica was better. take it for what it's worth

Re: Which rangefinder, Leica 1200 or Bushnell 1500

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since these things are floating around eBay in the $350-$500 range </div></div>

That is a good range. If one could get a good used unit for $400 +/-, it would be a no brainer. </div></div>

I just got one off ebay for $200, and yesterday was in gander mountain in ashland and they had the one with the arc feature on sale for $239. I haven't used the leica or swarovski, so I can't comment on them, but if you are on any kind of budget, I think the bushnell is a good deal.