• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which rear bag

lh leggtowner

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
hello fellows,

I have started shooting at a club and they have a "tactical benchrest" division. Which is to say it is bipod, rear bag of your choice and a repeater action.

I have a atlas bt46-lw17 bipod. it is the 4.75-9" model. My stock is a Manners t2a. I am in need of a rear bag. I was looking at the protektor line of bags.

I guess the main question is which height would be best?I have looked at 4 inch but, I think they might be a little tall. What is yalls opinion on this ? I would greatly appreciate anyone's help that has some insight. Thanks!!

Get a bag that allows you to have several heights to work with. I have both the str8laced bag and the SAP Run n Gun bag. Both allow me to change height and support.

Reactions: lh leggtowner
This is the golden age of rear bags. Used to just wad up whatever spare article of clothing I had, or a pack. Now, you can take your pick of bag designs.

I have a TAB one I picked up at Mile High for lightweight uses, and I’m probably going to pick up one of the various ones like the tactical udder/game changer/etc, there are a lot that are similar but different.

What I like to do, and this is pure personal preference, is call the companies that I’m considering and talk to a person there. See what experiences etc led them to make the product, how they treat potential customers, etc, and compare that to reputation and warranty. The cool thing about the precision rifle world is that a lot of folks will tell you if their product isn’t ideal for what you’re doing, if for no other reason than they don’t want a bad review on the internet. Whatever the product, it’s always my preference to talk to the folks making the gear as part of my decision making process.

For over a decade, I've just made my own with poly beads and a sock. I could make whatever height, width, length I wanted. I do have one of the Percussion Underground ELR rear bags that stays in the ruck I take to matches and it's fantastic

Last edited:
If you have a Gamechanger bag, give it a try. Pretty versatile as a rear bag.

This ^^^

I use my game changer as a rear bag quite often because it has so many different heights based on how you orient it. I use it as a rear bag in matches a ton when on a bipod.

hello fellows,

I have started shooting at a club and they have a "tactical benchrest" division. Which is to say it is bipod, rear bag of your choice and a repeater action.

I have a atlas bt46-lw17 bipod. it is the 4.75-9" model. My stock is a Manners t2a. I am in need of a rear bag. I was looking at the protektor line of bags.

I guess the main question is which height would be best?I have looked at 4 inch but, I think they might be a little tall. What is yalls opinion on this ? I would greatly appreciate anyone's help that has some insight. Thanks!!
Since youre talking about a bunny ear bag and not the more basic deisgn every one is talking about Ill just say the protector has a great reputation and you can always raise your bipod if you need more height. I have more of a problem trying to make my rear bag higher usually myself.
Go to the benches youll be competing on, set your rifle up how is comfortable and then measure how tall youll need the rear support to be for the rifle to point at the paper naturally settled into the bags.

hello fellows,

Get a sock and fill it up with plastic pellets from hobby lobby

I just got this bag in, more testing, but so far so good.

Since youre talking about a bunny ear bag and not the more basic deisgn every one is talking about Ill just say the protector has a great reputation and you can always raise your bipod if you need more height. I have more of a problem trying to make my rear bag higher usually myself.
Go to the benches youll be competing on, set your rifle up how is comfortable and then measure how tall youll need the rear support to be for the rifle to point at the paper naturally settled into the bags.
Thanks. A bunny ear is what o can use. That is also what I am going to do. Thanks so much.

hello fellows,

Got a sock with sand in it, inside another sock. Both ziptied. Words pretty good.
Lol, tagging this thread to see what people suggest.

When I’m running the bipod, I’ve been pulling my Rail Changer bag off and using that, though I have to say the Precision Underground ELR rear bags look very interesting.

What I really want though is a squeezable bag that mounts to a Pic rail. Monopods exist but bags are faster.

When I’m running the bipod, I’ve been pulling my Rail Changer bag off and using that, though I have to say the Precision Underground ELR rear bags look very interesting.

What I really want though is a squeezable bag that mounts to a Pic rail. Monopods exist but bags are faster.
I know Precision Underground Rifle Gear would customize anything you would wish; bag/rail mount system combo. Give it a shot if you really want something you’re not seeing out there, though he has a few rail plates/bag combos currently. Good luck.

I know Precision Underground Rifle Gear would customize anything you would wish; bag/rail mount system combo. Give it a shot if you really want something you’re not seeing out there, though he has a few rail plates/bag combos currently. Good luck.

For the sake of keeping to my budget, I was very carefully *not* giving them a call yet :)

Update.... ordered my bag tonight. I really appreciate the input from all of you. It was very helpful and as usual I learned a thing or 2. Oh, my go to bag at the backyard range is bluejean legs filled with sand. THey work great. But, i ordered a protecktor bag for the matches.

I run the @Precision Underground lineup of bags, and some of those pictures may give you an idea of why I do. These positions were easily obtained at the drop of the rifle. The bags are sturdy as boulders and tough as nails. Extremely versatile and can significantly aid in angle fire as you can see below. Excellent products and excellent customer service.

A5BABA35-85C7-4E48-A85F-056C7243B3FF.jpeg
9292B389-268F-4B5C-80B0-8498E710AC39.jpeg
F2D66866-0B9B-41A3-8174-EE8C3E0654E8.jpeg
842E3A63-CB13-4FE3-9F94-6639E9EFA609.jpeg
9D578BDE-499D-4F50-A5DD-3C6FC2F67C48.jpeg
1F9EF638-EAD8-44A9-A640-53E2EE119398.jpeg
EC2E7459-4310-4C52-8331-1B2F2F9691A3.jpeg

You may pardon my question of a newbie:
Doesn´t mounting the bag onto the scope influence the point of sight?

Reactions: DaleGribble82
You may pardon my question of a newbie:
Doesn´t mounting the bag onto the scope influence the point of sight?
Great question. No it doesn’t at all it is no different than placing one’s hand atop the scope during firing. What would influence point of impact is if the straps were wrapped around the barrel itself. This would cause a disruption in the barrel harmonics. If a rifle is fitted with a monolithic rail then the obvious choice would be to wrap the straps around the forend of the rifle as seen with my Steyr below. The straps atop the scope though will not impact point of aim or point of impact. Although improper placement could perhaps interfere with the operation of the turrets. That though is easily avoided.
B955FAD4-4891-4157-8B82-8FBF04351B44.jpeg
90504316-85FC-4020-A3AE-C8C7B50E94E5.jpeg
67D1CB59-E07A-4F32-947D-A83C03D596D2.jpeg

On the ends I could see the pressure imparting some degree of flex... maybe. Where the straps are now I’d think the tube is pretty freaking rigid.

If you only could have one ELR rear bag....

Which one would it be?

I'm assuming that by ELR you mean "extreme long range"? If so, I'm pretty sure your bag doesn't GAF how far away you're shooting at something.

So the question doesn't make sense

Also since you're a self confessed noob, isn't it a bit early to worry about such things as ELR?

I'm assuming that by ELR you mean "extreme long range"? If so, I'm pretty sure your bag doesn't GAF how far away you're shooting at something.

Also since you're a self confessed noob, isn't it a bit early to worry about such things as ELR?
I think he is talking about our line of ELR bags.

Reactions: vortexyz

Yeah agreed, pretty sure he was just referring to the product lineup.

Saw another @Precision Underground rear bag besides mine(mine doesn't have the tag on it since I was beta tester and before the naming) up in Alaska at the AK Precision Rifle Course.

Like many others have stated the Armageddon game changer is by far the most versatile for a rear support. Ive tried many different bags and that one is always my go to. The wax canvas version is my favorite.

Had my PU bag at the range on Sunday. It's a great bag. I need about another 1/2 of height out of it. I think when the funds are right I'm going to try the Recon Bag.

View attachment 7082862
If you are looking for a dedicated rear bag that’s a little taller I’d suggest the 3D ELR. It’s about the same size but much thicker so you can squeeze up a good bit more. In that pic you aren’t getting the full benefit of the design since the top corners are not folded in on the stock to hold it on the sides. I’m assuming you did that to try to get more height. Send me a PM and we’ll get you straight.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
If you are looking for a dedicated rear bag that’s a little taller I’d suggest the 3D ELR. It’s about the same size but much thicker so you can squeeze up a good bit more. In that pic you aren’t getting the full benefit of the design since the top corners are not folded in on the stock to hold it on the sides. I’m assuming you did that to try to get more height. Send me a PM and we’ll get you straight.

PM sent.
Thanks. (y)

Sheesh take it easy there champ.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Poly Fill beads from Hobby Lobby + Quality Dress Sock = Excellent Customizable Rear Bag.

I use a large Tab Gear bag for bench shooting with my bipod and I find it works great for me. I have used my Saracen bag as a rear bag as well a few times without any issues at all.

What would u guys think would be a better all around bag and use as rearr bag while on bipod , waxed game changer or the rail changer since I have the rail available ?

What would u guys think would be a better all around bag and use as rearr bag while on bipod , waxed game changer or the rail changer since I have the rail available ?

The rail changer works as a rear bag, but it’s not that squeezable for height adjustment, especially if you leave it on the rail mount. By default the gap between the bunny ears is way too low anyway, so I always found myself turning it sideways, which means re-seating it every shot. The game changer is probably better.

FWIW, I’m keeping my rail changer for up front, and after some discussion with the PrecisionUnderground team I decided to snag an ELR Strapped for dedicated rear use.

The waxed game changer is a great bag. I have searched high and low for a good rear bag to use with a chassis and this seems to be the best and most comfortable option i have found.