• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Rem 700 Do I have

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Many moons ago as a young man, I bought a Remington 700 (circa 2003). Life intervened via layoffs, kids, etc.. and it sat unused in the safe pending a decent scope. Now I have some funds stored up to get going started on precision rifle, i have no clue WTF this thing is (other than a Rem 700 in 308 w/ heavy barrel).

It has a polymer stock (non-wood/black) and heavy barrel. How do I know which model I have. Does it even really matter?

Re: Which Rem 700 Do I have

How long is the barrel? Can you post a pic? Sounds like an AAC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long is the barrel? Can you post a pic? Sounds like an AAC. </div></div>
An AAC in 2003? Must be a real remmy officiando to be able to tell from the description.
To the OP snap a pic or two would help make ID a snap. Especially of the
stock and left side near serial.

Barrel appears to be 26"

Got some quick cell phone pics

2dgp4wp.jpg

9qd3rn.jpg

Looks like a 700P to me. Hard to tell though, call Remington with the serial number and they'll tell you what it is and when it was made.

It's a 700 VS (Varmint Synthetic). It has a H.S. Precision stock on it. It should be a fine shooter, have someone do a decent trigger job on it and rock on.

Thanks much guys. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything goofy or special I needed to look out for.

I'll see ya all on the range.

I used the same gun as the basis for my build. It shoots <1 moa with handloads. You can adjust the trigger to be fairly light and crisp. Instructions are available on the web. Mount a decent scope and you should have a shooter that will take you a while to outgrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll buy it for $300 shipped
laugh.gif
</div></div>
Don't listen to this guy OP! I'll go $305!

The trigger is easy to adjust, you cn do that yourself, if you have any question get a hold of me, Ill help you thru it.

That was the first rifle I owned. Rem 700 VS. Great shooting rifle.

Lee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How long is the barrel? Can you post a pic? Sounds like an AAC. </div></div>
An AAC in 2003? Must be a real remmy officiando to be able to tell from the description.
To the OP snap a pic or two would help make ID a snap. Especially of the
stock and left side near serial. </div></div>

Yep definately not an AAC. Sorry I offended you with my lesser knowledge/mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">700VS=Varmint Synthetic </div></div>
I concur

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">700VS=Varmint Synthetic </div></div>
I concur </div></div>

black/grey stock is a VS, most likely if it was a solid black stock with 2 studs then would be police or a P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">700VS=Varmint Synthetic </div></div>
I concur </div></div>

Plus 3 or 4, I have one just like it and just a tip, 155 scenar shoot great with varget in wichester brass around 2850-2875fps.

it will probably shoot the 168, 175 SMK's very, the 185vld Bergers too.

and yes, it's a 700VS...great guns that shoot well. Just spend some time developing a load and you'll have a good shooter.