• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition which reticle for f class

phoneman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2011
south georgia
I am getting ready to buy a nightforce 12x42 for 1000 yd f class--which reticle works best on the black targets ? I'm eyeballing the NP2-DD but I'm not sure how the small aiming dot is going to show up on the black target faces. Anybody got any ideas please let me know--thanks----Dean

Re: which reticle for f class

Strong recommendation: stay away from the dot reticles for F-Class. For the F-T/R crowd anyway, the NP-R1 & NP-R2 reticles are very popular.

Darrell

I've yet to compete in my first scoped rifle match, but I will be very soon. I chose the NP-R2 reticle and from what little I've shot with it, I really like it. It's a crisp, clean reticle that is easy to use for hold over, etc.

Thanks--that looks like it might do the job--I've been using a mildot reticle in my other nightforce (5.5x22 nxs) and it works good but with 1/8 adjustments and more magnification in the 12x42 I was kinda thinking a different reticle might be a better choice--thanks again--Dean

i just bought a sightron 10-50x60 with a moa2 recticle with illuminated dot it has the moa hash marks but a dot in the center that can be lit up i use it the bracket the target and put the red dot on the center. it was a close race between it and a nightforce 12-42 (50.00 difference) but i liked the recticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigtimeAub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've yet to compete in my first scoped rifle match, but I will be very soon. I chose the NP-R2 reticle and from what little I've shot with it, I really like it. It's a crisp, clean reticle that is easy to use for hold over, etc. </div></div>
you'll get hooked quick i shot my first matches last year and that was all it took.

I use the NP2-DD in 800-1000 yd F class and benchrest. I chose it because the NP-R2 reticle is to fine and gets lost against a black bull.

Reactions: mswadly

I shot the NPR-1 for years, just switched to a Vortex Razor HD with the EBR1-MOA, FFP. I've only shot a couple minimatches since I put it on, but I think I like the reticle better on this scope. It's similar to the NPR-2, might be worth a look.

1911fan

No issues seeing the NP-2DD at 1000 yards. It works very well for fclass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strong recommendation: stay away from the dot reticles for F-Class. For the F-T/R crowd anyway, the NP-R1 & NP-R2 reticles are very popular.

Darrell </div></div>

Hi Darrel,

Knowing your involvement with the US F class team I'm keen to hear the reasons for not using a dot reticle?

Ian

I'm glad to hear Darrell say that; I have always used either an NP-R1 (my first choice) or NP-R2 for my F-Class rig. I prefer to hold off rather than dial my changes.

Jeffvn

I use an NP-2DD and the thought of switching to another if I switch from Night Force is actually bothersome. I'd like to get a March and shed a pound of scope, and I'm sure that a fine CH will work great, but I have really come to like that little dot in the middle of my field of view.

Not sure I can add a lot more, especially when someone like Darrell has added his feedback given his level of experience.

I run NP-R1 and NP-R2 reticles in my scopes. The one scope I have with a NP-R2 reticle came about because I bought it used, I will probably get it changed out in the near future. I have no problem with those reticles on the 1,000 yard targets. Even though the center is "black" it is rarely dark black with most lighting conditions, and I have no problem seeing the reticle against it. For speed, I can also just use the stadia lines in the reticle for quick holds versus dialing an adjustment. I also use the stadia lines to bracket different parts of the target depending on what my hold is for the shot.

Not sure if you have seen it, but Nightforce just came out with the MOAR Reticle.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/nightforce/
Looks like it is a NXS option for now, but they may put it in a BR down the road if people are asking for it.

Not sure if you will use the scope for any other forms of shooting, but there is obviously a huge advantage to having those types of reticles versus a simple cross hair or dot in terms of range finding and holds.

Some shooters still prefer the Dots and Fine Cross Hairs, and if they learned to shoot with one I am sure it still works for them.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

As already mentioned, reticles contrast great against NRA paper targets. It takes an extremely pitch-black object to allow the reticle to blend.

Because Fclass targets have their own subtensions (the scoring rings, which are known-spacing), the scope really doesn't need its own, in my opinion.

When I hold-off on an Fclass target, I am holding off based on the target,not the reticle, so for me personally, it doesn't matter one lick which reticle I've got, as long as it provides a nice crisp centerpoint that can be pinned into a 1/2moa circle at 1000 yards.

I'm using a Leupold MK4 TMR 8.5-25x50 and have used the same for a number of years. I like it or the 6.5 TMR because the spacing at the center of crosshairs is equal to spotter at 1K. Well the usual spotter not the min-spotter. This allowas me to center scope on shot if I'm doing well or use to adjust to hold off. Hearing all the good news about NF makes me wonder. Can you buy a NXS without Illumination
?

Why no dot recticles.
The dot when shooting on really hot days can become obscured or vanish all together.
The 1/8 dot size makes it a 1.25” aiming circle at 1,000 and with the X ring a .5moa target I can’t afford to have an aiming mark that takes up 25% of my x ring.
When you consider the width of the scoring ring and how much smaller they are against the 1/8 dot I don’t need anymore help dropping points.
I am not sure where Turbo54 shoots but where I shoot and last year in Wisconsin the weather (read rain) and sometimes snow completely obliterates the scoring rings. You will be hard pressed to effectively centre up the target during these shooting conditions.
However with the NPR-2 or other military style recticles, I can and have on several occasions squared up the target frame to use as reference points to hold the centre of the V bull. This technique also comes in handy when having to shoot shorter disciplines like 300yds were the centre can be covered in patches, hiding the scoring rings. (Under time constraints you may not always be able to ask to re-face the target) Also see my first point about mirage and hot days

Others have been able to use dots but most figure out afterwards that dots are not the best choice. And Nightforce charges $150.00 to change them out.

trevor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strong recommendation: stay away from the dot reticles for F-Class. For the F-T/R crowd anyway, the NP-R1 & NP-R2 reticles are very popular.

Darrell </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Darrel,

Knowing your involvement with the US F class team I'm keen to hear the reasons for not using a dot reticle?

Ian </div></div>
Ian, not to speak for <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Darrell (Buell)</span></span>, but the gist of the issue with reticles' that have "center aiming" dots is that the dot obscures too much of the target compared to a reticle with a very fine "crosshair", and thus does not provide as exact an aiming point as a reticle with a very fine "crosshair".

In his reply to you, (see my quote of <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Trevor</span></span> below for reference) <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Trevor</span></span> used an 1/8th MOA (.125 MOA) dot-equipped reticle as an example to show that an 1/8th MOA dot covers up 25% of the X-Ring at 1,000 yards. That 25% (about 1.309"), is quite a bit when you consider that the (FFP) Gen 2 XR reticles in (S & B) PMII and (Premier) Heritage 5-25Xs' only cover 0.750" at 1,000 yards. In other words, an 1/8 MOA dot obscures nearly 56% more (about .600") of the X-Ring than the FFP 5-25X Gen 2 XRs'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trevor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why no dot recticles.
The dot when shooting on really hot days can become obscured or vanish all together.
The 1/8 dot size makes it a 1.25” aiming circle at 1,000 and with the X ring a .5moa target I can’t afford to have an aiming mark that takes up 25% of my x ring.
When you consider the width of the scoring ring and how much smaller they are against the 1/8 dot I don’t need anymore help dropping points.
I am not sure where Turbo54 shoots but where I shoot and last year in Wisconsin the weather (read rain) and sometimes snow completely obliterates the scoring rings. You will be hard pressed to effectively centre up the target during these shooting conditions.
However with the NPR-2 or other military style recticles, I can and have on several occasions squared up the target frame to use as reference points to hold the centre of the V bull. This technique also comes in handy when having to shoot shorter disciplines like 300yds were the centre can be covered in patches, hiding the scoring rings. (Under time constraints you may not always be able to ask to re-face the target) Also see my first point about mirage and hot days

Others have been able to use dots but most figure out afterwards that dots are not the best choice. And Nightforce charges $150.00 to change them out.

trevor
</div></div>

The (Premier Reticles-designed) Gen 2 XR is a FFP tactical reticle designed for shooting point and area targets at long range and while I wouldn't choose it for dedicated F-Class use it is a great reticle for all-around use. A PMII 5-25X Gen 2 XR CCW has worked pretty well for me on my X-Ray 51 .308 tactical rifle against OPEN Class rifles at 600 yard F-Class matches as well as excelling on steel and paper of all sizes and shapes at long range. Its' really unfortunate that the Gen 2 XR reticle is no longer an available option in (new) PMIIs'.

Keith

Keith, thanks for taking the time to explain.

Ian