• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which rifle and why?

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I'd like to know what you would want to add to your collection next if you could comfortably come up with the cash.

Would it be something modern, top of the line? Or would you go with something retro?

I'd like to hear from everyone on this, those that are new to rifles/shooting, as well as those that have toys and are looking for something new/unique.

Rifle

Glass

Caliber

Purpose

And any other reason you'd like to own it.

Re: Which rifle and why?

M40A1 spec build on a smear return stock w/ MST 100...

as to why...

anyone who really needs to ask should be shot with said rifle...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M40A1 spec build on a smear return stock w/ MST 100...

as to why...

anyone who really needs to ask should be shot with said rifle...lol </div></div>

I think that will be a high ranking choice.

I have a range about 1 1/2 hours away that goes to 1,000. If money was no object I'd go with a DTA SRS .308 to start, but .338 Lapua would be in the works as well. Some flavor of S&B scope. It would primarily be a range queen, but I'd hunt with it given the opportunity.

That said, I have champagne tastes and a beer budget. The next rifle I have will probably start as a Stevens 200 long action. New trigger, new barrel, chassis stock to take AI mags and will be a .284. Hope to top it with a mil/mil NF.

I guess if I had military experience in LR shooting (instead of what I did) I could understand going with a build modeling what I used to carry. I only had a M16A1 and not nostalgic for it either. None of my AR builds resemble one. If change is for the better, I say use it.

I would want something along the lines of a M40A1 build but not to true specs. First off I couldn't afford it, second off I have no true reason to own a spec'd version. I think the true return stocks should be held in reserve to the men that actually used them or have an actual involvment with the gun. The basic fundamentals of the rifle are exactly what I want for my next purchase though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M40A1 spec build on a smear return stock w/ MST 100...

as to why...

anyone who really needs to ask should be shot with said rifle...lol </div></div>

Same. Second only to a Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range...

Rifle: Walther WA 2000

Glass: S&B 4-16x50 PM

Caliber: .300 WM

Purpose: This was a hypothetical question after all, money no object...

Rifle: modded Stiller Tac300 action, Winchester style 3 position safety, Douglas premium air gaged 1:9 twist, dakota quarter rib with 3 leaf express rear sight, browning BOSS, barrel band front sight with interchangeable front blades, exhibition grade walnut stock, jewel trigger

Glass: 4-14x40 Leoupold VX-3

Caliber: 7mm STW

Purpose: It'd be the ultimate North American hunting rifle capable of knocking down most of the game in North America, and doing it at reasonable hunting ranges.

Desert Tactical Recon with two barrels 300win and .308 as for glass I would mount an S&B PMII 5-25 x 56. I would take said weapon out west and do some long range target shooting and elk hunting.

This is pretty cool guys. A lot of the usual suspects haven't shown up. +1 on the .300 Win Mag and the 7mm STW. I don't think that either one of these calibers get enough play.

Savage 116FCSS .30-'06. Swap barrels, Savage varmint contour, L-W Stainless. 28" 1:10" .30-'06, and 28" 1:9" .280 Rem.

Optics and mounts as cash allows, uprgrades as cash allows. Start with Burris Signature base and rings, mounting Tasco VAR624X42M, and upgrading from there, maybe.

While your calibers are capable, the ones I prefer above are intended to produce comparable ballistics without quite so much energy expenditure; better for the rifle, better for the shooter.

Savage 220 rifled bolt action 20ga slug gun, dot optics.

Saiga 100 .30-'06, 3-9 hunting optic.

Saiga 20, .20ga semi, dot scope, Izhmash Paradox rifled slug choke adapter.

As is probably apparent, I prefer to ramp down on the energy somewhat. Modern ammunition technologies deliver the types of performance the bigger guns once did. I would not want to stand out in front of any of these choices at reasonable distances. I would trust the .280 with the right loads to well beyond 1200yd; assuming I <span style="font-style: italic">ever</span> got another chance to shoot such distances.

Greg

PS The 116 is configured just how I'd want my rifle. The extra 6" of barrel are there to cut down on the load strength necessary to make the same velocity. Should extend bore life. The original barrel makes an ideal hunter.

20mm Anzio!

Seriously, I'd like .22LR Anschutz + NF benchrest scope.

7mm-300win mag on a Savage action. Sitting in a XLR chassis topped with NF. I have read a couple articles about how well balanced this round is. Runs about 75 fps slower than a 7mmRUM in equal barrels but doesn't have near the throat erosion issues!

Mine is a little different, it's not a long range accuracy rifle by any stretch. It would be a Browning BAR in .358 Winchester to match my Browning BLR '81 in .358... I think a semi auto .358 would make the ultimate short range gun for my home state.

Retro: A 1970's Franchi takedown .22LR in its original case.
laugh.gif
OK, that was a joke.

A Lee Enfield .303 WWII 2-groove barrel 'sniper' model in its original wooden box with scope and mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nmmi9100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIAWM. Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm F1 Zerostop NPR1. </div></div>

I was wondering when this one would show up. It is high on my list of modern rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nmmi9100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIAWM. Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm F1 Zerostop NPR1. </div></div>

new scope?

browning 1918 BAR........or a 1903A4, take the crap original scope off and put on a NC Star!

but seriously, an original matching numbers 03A4, always wanted one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A Lee Enfield .303 WWII 2-groove barrel 'sniper' model in its original wooden box with scope and mount. </div></div>

Love retro rifles. I've got a pseudo sniper, K31 with side mount scope. I'm also thinking about doing one of these:

Surplus Rifle M48 POSP

I'll use either a Yugo m24/47 or a Finn m39 if I do it.

My 1st choice in a retro rifle is the TKIV 85 but you can't buy one. The closest thing to it is the m28/76 but I'd hate to butcher up a $900 rifle just to have a retro looking rifle.

+1 on the AI AWM also, while we're at it. in .338 but with the classic S&B 5-25x56 PM II.

Rifle - original M/33 (Finnish)

Glass - Zeiss Zielvier 4X

Caliber - 7.92x54R

Purpose - vintage sniper matches

Proably a Shiloh 1874 Buffalo Rifle - Quigley chambered for 45-110. I would have only the Quigley specs with the optinal AAA wood. To me that is it, besides my TRG.
Why might you ask, well these rifles are very accurate, and VERY beautiful. They started it all for "our kind".

Currently I have allot of tact type rifles so the next thing Im going to build is a WHORISH type PDog rifle

Polished Heavy 28" tube, Shinny Shehane Tracker Stocks, Polished Defiance action, of course a Jewel, and maybe a 1:8 Bartlein barrel never tried one yet, chambered in a 6mmDasher that should make some RPMs with 75gr VMaxes to send the PDog flyin! NF 8-32x56 Benchrest with NPR2 reticle or a new IOR with the MP8 Dot reticle(my favorite for PDogs)

Let me place an order really quick this post made my mind up...lol

SIG SG550 Sniper in the factory case with matching Hendsoldt.

Only because it's a rare one, at least in this country.

Rifle: Savage 10PC .308

Glass: Vortex PST 4-16x50 MRAD SFP

What: All purpose target and animal killing machine.

Why: Simply because this is what is currently in the works.

Reason: Everything that I want... and nothing I don't.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIAW in a Mcmillan A4 stock

PH 3-15X50 </div></div>

Interesting. Most use the AI chassis for a 700 action. It makes sense to take a superb barreled action and drop into what chassis you prefer. Very cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olympian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle - original M/33 (Finnish)

Caliber - 7.92x54R

Purpose - vintage sniper matches </div></div>

Very cool. I wonder if there's any love out there for the Swedish M41B or the Swiss ZF55 for these matches.

Does the rifle have to be a production or reproduction "sniper" or will any scoped rifle of proper military lineage work? Got any links?

Cool sig line.

Trg-22
Premier 5-25x56
Near 34mm Alphamount.

This is assuming money just fell out of my ass, right now.

Perhaps sometime in the future, far... far.. away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIAW in a Mcmillan A4 stock
</div></div>

Has this been done before / is it even possible? Sounds pretty cool though, I would love to see pictures if anyone has done it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buggsb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DTA Covert
.308 with a .338 conversion
USO glass </div></div>

You know, that's a very compelling attribute of the DTA rifles being able to run all the different actions in the same chassis. And it's a bullpup which is AWESOME! Off rifle topic but on bullpup topic - I've got a bullpup airgun that kicks butt. .22 caliber, 940 fps with JSB 18.1 jumbos. I can hit quart can size targets at 200 yards with it.

003.jpg

001.jpg

006.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Proably a Shiloh 1874 Buffalo Rifle - Quigley chambered for 45-110. I would have only the Quigley specs with the optinal AAA wood. To me that is it, besides my TRG.
Why might you ask, well these rifles are very accurate, and VERY beautiful. They started it all for "our kind". </div></div>

I agree on the Shiloh and the TRG.

I always liked the M24, but thought that it was overkill for a .308. Since my unit's going to have to give ours up soon, and we don't know when we'll get the new ones, I decided to build myself a tribute rifle. I am going to build an M24 look-alike, but in .300 Win Mag. I'll use the correct stock, sight bases, etc., but I want to make some subtle 'improvements'. Aside from the caliber difference, I will use a 20 moa base and the new March 3-24 FFP. It's about the same size as an M3A, but with all the options we never had.

a classic m40a1 pre '64
with all the classic fixing's
and the purpose would be too have it sit in my safe and look awesome !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: good old lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a classic m40a1 pre '64
with all the classic fixing's </div></div>

Nice choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: good old lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
and the purpose would be too have it sit in my safe and look awesome ! </div></div>

And with no guile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olympian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle - original M/33 (Finnish)

Caliber - 7.92x54R

Very cool. I wonder if there's any love out there for the Swedish M41B or the Swiss ZF55 for these matches.

Does the rifle have to be a production or reproduction "sniper" or will any scoped rifle of proper military lineage work? Got any links?

Cool sig line. </div></div>

The m/41b does quite well in these matches even against rifles with 'modern' scopes. Reproduction rifles are acceptable in some matches depending on the receiver stamping.

Here are a couple of links.

CMP

Long Range

Mil Sil

Rifle: FN A3 G

Glass: NF NXS 8-32x56

Caliber: 308 Win

Purpose: Anything

This is my dream setup right here, I would use it for everything and that means it has to work in any condition I would use it in. I don't honestly think any other rifles would see the light of day if I owned this one. I absolutely love CRF actions like the M70 and this one being a pre '64 styled action I’m immediately interested. Then I find out that it only has a 70 degree bolt lift I'm in love. And then that the action is bedded into the stock by GAP, its 1/2 MOA guarantee becomes more understandable. Included in the package is a 20 MOA base and I’m starting to wonder if it's my birthday. AND, a hard-chromed bore meaning long lifetime means a long time before re-barreling becomes a necessity. This gun just couldn't be more of a perfect match for what I want in a rifle.

-Dylan

PGW Coyote
NF NSX 8-32

Current issue Canadian sniper rifle, would rather shoot a 6.5 but the range rules here are getting tighter. Template issue's are starting to limit calibers....

Brother, you've really cranked my tractor with this. Thanks for the links. Too bad they haven't included the K31s with the aftermarket scopes. They're prolly scared ov'em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olympian</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olympian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle - original M/33 (Finnish)

Caliber - 7.92x54R

Cool sig line. </div></div>

The m/41b does quite well in these matches even against rifles with 'modern' scopes. Reproduction rifles are acceptable in some matches depending on the receiver stamping.

Here are a couple of links.

CMP

Long Range

Mil Sil
</div></div>

Rifle: TacOps Tango-51

Cartridge: .308

Glass: Hensoldt 3-12x56 FFP mounted with American Rifle Co. M3 rings

Purpose: Because it's what I'm getting. Hunting, target & competition.

Addendum: If I wasn't in CA I'd be putting a TacOps T3 suppressor on it. Atlas V8 & monopod. TIS sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Proably a Shiloh 1874 Buffalo Rifle - Quigley chambered for 45-110. I would have only the Quigley specs with the optinal AAA wood. To me that is it, besides my TRG.
Why might you ask, well these rifles are very accurate, and VERY beautiful. They started it all for "our kind".</div></div>

I'm with this one as well, maybe we could get a group buy together for a shiloh or an EMF Quigley. It is in fact the rifle that started it all for us long rangers. I think everyone here can appreciate the 1874 Sharps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Proably a Shiloh 1874 Buffalo Rifle - Quigley chambered for 45-110. I would have only the Quigley specs with the optinal AAA wood. To me that is it, besides my TRG.
Why might you ask, well these rifles are very accurate, and VERY beautiful. They started it all for "our kind".</div></div>

I'm with this one as well, maybe we could get a group buy together for a shiloh or an EMF Quigley. It is in fact the rifle that started it all for us long rangers. I think everyone here can appreciate the 1874 Sharps </div></div>

I would much rather have a Whitworth as used by the CSA boys and it came well before the Sharps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcatsfan11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIAW in a Mcmillan A4 stock
</div></div>

Has this been done before / is it even possible? Sounds pretty cool though, I would love to see pictures if anyone has done it. </div></div>

I don't think it has/is. But I think that'd be pretty sweet setup, let me know if you find a picture of it. (Doubt you will LOL)

I'd like a crickett chambered in 25mm, so I can shoot the same stuff my bradley shoots