• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Savage do I buy?

ShhDontMove

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2013
Texas
I dont want to sound like a jerk but unless you've owned a Savage rifle I dont want to hear your advice on this topic.

I've been looking for a .308 long range rifle for a few weeks now. It'll be my first long range rifle and I don't want to get a high end custom gun as my first. I was torn between Savage and Remington and it seems that most people prefer the Savage since you can easily swap out barrels.

Money isn't a problem and I don't have a budget. I plan on changing out the stock for a chassis ASAP, probably a McRee, and the barrel in the future. Id also like a detachable box magazine model if they have one, but I could live without one.

I've looked at their website and seen the different models, but would like the input of you all and your model, along with any regrets or praises. Also whats your opinion on the Accu-trigger. Finally, which model would you recommend?

I have 3 savage rifle, 223 lrpv, 6br lrpv, 325wsm. Like em all a lot. barrels are hit or miss with quality.
accutrigger ok,nt great. Rifle basix makes a decent replacement, XLR makes a nice chassis.
the target accutrigger is good to go. All of mine eventually got new barrels. Kinda limited on
aftermarket mag options, stocks, triggers, etc. Mine all shoot lights out. If money is not a Problem,
I would spend it on a good action (Bighorn), stock,chassis, whatever, Quality barrel, trigger, dbm.
Pay a good plumber to screw it all together, and never want for more. just sayin.

If you plan to swap out stocks anyway, I would just go ahead and find the least expensive donor action at a pawn shop or gun broker, and swap out the barrel with a prefit. You will save money, and it will shoot much better than any stock savage.

ShhDontMove said:
Money isn't a problem and I don't have a budget.

With this in mind, I would recommend buying a cheap Remington 700 ADL from Wal-Mart, send it to Dan @ Dark Eagle Customs for a Rem-Age conversion, spin on a Criterion Rem-Age barrel from Jim Briggs @ Northland Shooters Supply and use the 700 chassis and trigger of your choice.

That would give you the best of both worlds...and I say that as a guy with a safe full of Savages.

That said, if you really want a Savage action I would recommend a top bolt release short action as they are more compatible with chassis systems than the newer bottom bolt release actions found on many current Savage models. If a chassis purchase is planned at the same time you purchase the rifle, I would go with a 10FP-SR (these have been discontinued but there are plenty available at major online vendors). If you will shoot the OE stock for a while first, you might consider the 10FCP-HS Precision or 10FCP-McMillan and both of those have factory DBM.

A less expensive option would be the 11 Hog Hunter, remove the iron sights, and drop immediately into stock/chassis of your choice.

OP, if u plan on changing stocks and barrel (now or later), i would just get a action from jim briggs at northland shooters supply. He generally has 10, 12 and target actions in stock in 308 boltface. He also carries trued oversized lugs and trued barrel nuts. His criterion barrels are outstanding, i have gotten a few from him and they shoot and clean as good as my bartlien and kriegers. Jim is a wealth of info on savage so he is a good person to chat with about what u want to do. Xlr makes both side and bottom bolt release chassis, i had a xlr but it just did not fit me. If u want to buy a complete factory gun now, try to get one that is side bolt release, alot of chassis available for that, ie. Aics, mcree,xlr,and pdc come to mind.

I have two Savage 10FPs. One in .308 and a second action only that I'm building into a .223 as a tactical match rifle for my son. My .308 sets in a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist that I did some DIY mods to. I'm really happy with its performance (with the stock 26" varmit taper barrel). The .223 does not have a stock selected for it yet. I did consider a McRee stock but, due to budget, I'm leaning toward trying a Boyd's Tacticool stock ($99 direct) to start out with. That'll give us a nice project to work on with reguard to pillar bedding and other DIY stock work.

A buddy of mine has a Long Range Precision model in .260 Rem. What a beautiful bad ass looking rifle. Shoots lights out too. The only thing I didn't like was the wickedly light trigger, but that can be adjusted. I can see why that particular model has all the warnings and is painted red.

If it were me, I would opt for an older model that is in good shape. Those that have the slotted barrel nuts make changing out barrels a snap. The newer models have an un-slotted barrel nut and I've heard they are tougher to remove. If you don't want to swap out bolt heads stick with the same family of calibers and you're good to go. My first Savage build was a Walmart special that I only saved the action from. It started life as a 30-06 and ended up as a .338-06. It too shoots wonderfully with a bedding job and and Adams & Bennet barrel.

The only real downside to the Savage line-up, in my mind, is the lack of aftermarket detachable box magazine systems. For my son's .223 build I purchased a bottom metal and magazine floorplate direct from Savage so that we have the DBM option. If you go with a chassis system, that'll be included in the package. CDI also makes the DBM for Savages and for $60 or so more they'll do any inletting. But, by that time, depending on what stock you bought, you'd be up to the cost of a chassis anyhow.

Damn boiler u just barely beat me, lol. The remage do work nice. Any reputable smith can true a 700 for a remage, they just can't touch the receiver/barrel threads. I have a damn good smith within 15 miles of me, he machined my action for 150 and i installed the barrel.

I know you say no custom rifles for you first LR rifle but why not? With the chassis and barrel upgrade you're talking about $1500 and if you decide to sell it you'll lose a lot as savage resale values suck. If you're stuck on a savage why not buy a used one and let some other idiot take the loss?

I know you don't want to here this but I'm going to tell you anyway especially since you say money isnt an issue. I've got years of experience with precision rifles and no way in hell would I buy a savage knowing fit off the break I'm going to drop that into it. $1500 will get you a FN SPR A2 from tactical coordination that blows any savage away. It comes in a $950 stock that's pillar bedded and if you could still buy the action it would be $800. That's a steal. They are retarded accurate as well and with the integral recoil lug you can have a smith spin you up a barrel and swap barrels to your hearts content with less tools.

In the next price bracket ($2000-2500) you can get a second hand low round count or no round count custom rifle built by a great smith. It will likely be a Remington with a pinned recoil lug, and just like the FN you can have a smith spin up extra barrels and swap them with just a barrel vise and a action wrench.

For $3000 you can get a new AI AE MKIII which will beat them all up and take their lunch money. It too is very easy to swap barrels and you can call AI and order barrels already chambered and finished for a very good price in 243, 6.5 creedmoor, 260, 6.5x47, and 308.

I just purchased my second Savage rifle late last year. It is the Savage 10 FCP-K in 308. I made a post about it not long ago if you want to see what all I ended up going with in terms of the "build". Having owned a Remington 700 prior to getting this rifle I can say that I am more pleased with the action and overall quality of the Savage.

The particular model I mentioned seems to fit what you are looking for pretty well actually. It has a 24" heavy fluted barrell which is threaded and already comes with a 3 port muzzle brake. This model also has a 4 round detachable magazine. I do plan on getting a 9 round magazine from Sharp Shooter Supply in the near future too. I have only been on a couple outings with my rifle and for only shooting some standard PMC 147 grain fmj, I have been very pleased with the accuracy. My next outing I am taking some FGMM 168 grain SMK so that will give me a better idea of how accurate the rifle can be in my hands.

I have no issues with the Accu trigger, and actually really enjoy it on both my Savage rifles. I adjusted the weight of the trigger down to 2 pounds and I am very happy with how it feels in comparison to the X Mark Pro triggers that come on the Remington 700 rifles. I have found that this savage has a very tight tolerance and can be a little picky depending on which ammo you choose in how smooth it cycles the bolt. The PMC and FGMM cycle extremely smooth where as some PPU and reloads from Freedom Munitions not so much and give it a "sticky bolt" feel.

I wish I could give you more info but I am limited as this rifle is fairly new to me still. All I can say is that if it were me in your shoes deciding between a Savage or Remington to fit your needs, I would go with the Savage. By the way, I too plan on eventually swapping out the barrell and converting this rifle to a 260. In case you want to see my rifle here is the link to it on this forum.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...9-my-new-long-range-rifle-savage-10fcp-k.html

Money isn't a problem and I don't have a budget. I plan on changing out the stock for a chassis ASAP, probably a McRee, and the barrel in the future. Id also like a detachable box magazine model if they have one, but I could live without one.

Normally, I'd echo what others have said about calling Jim Briggs and get a Model 12 action, but he is currently sold out.

Northland Shooter Suppl-Savage Actions

You definitely want a top side bolt release action so that limits your options in the current product line up:

The 10/110 FCP HS Precision is quite similar to the 12 LRP (which would be my recommendation), but the LRP is not available in .308Win. The HS Precision stock is not a Manner's or McMillan but it is not throw away tupper ware. It does have the Savage DBM system. Granted if you are 100% set on a chassis it is more than you need.

Another option, though on the high end is the 12 VLP DBM or 12 BVSS.

The most economical and I believe the only other current factory model available in .308Win with a top side bolt release is the 11/111 Hog Hunter.

If you go with a McRee or other chassis the Savage DBM system is irrelevant as most chassis utilize the AI type magazines. If you do not go with a chassis system then contact Dan at Dark Eagle Customs for some 10 round magazines.

If you are looking at going with a Mcree chassis, you can also consider the Savage models that have the bolt release in front of the trigger guard. Mcree makes and has these in stock as I just spoke with Scott a couple days ago. So, that said, you might also consider the 10PC - 20" threaded barrel, or the Cabelas exclusive Savage 10T - 24" unthreaded barrel. Just another option to consider.

Go to Savage custom shop. Tell them you want a 12lrp in whatever short action caliber you want as long as they have a reamer for it. They'll do whatever length barrel and thread it for a suppressor or brake. You'll end up with a target action, target trigger, and one of the best factory barrels on the market today. Plus I think the stock is GTG. It will cost you MSRP though. Mine was a FCP-SR and I had them put a 26" barrel on it and chamber it to 260. They used a model 12 target action and turned it into a left hand bolt, with target trigger. Cost was a couple hundred more than their regular FCP-SR. It is a shooter!
Or you could just go for a LRH as a second choice.

My son was wanting to get into the long range game and had 3k to spend on gun and glass. He was going to buy a AI but then wouldn't have money for quality glass. From what I've seen that's backwards thinking. He ended up with a 12 LRP in 260 with a ATACR on it and it will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 with the right load. You can spend a lot more money and not get any better results. The trigger was set far too light from the factory and we had to reset that but overall he's very happy with his choice.
I've got a savage 10 action in a Manners plain jane stock with a Criterion barrel in .308 that shoots 3/4". I bought it from a young man that had it put together by Kevin Rayhill. It's a good starter that I got in to for $1400. I guess my point is to buy a starter rifle and good quality glass then build on what you have. Most of these rifles these guys are telling you about will shoot fine straight out of the box.

If you plan to swap out stocks anyway, I would just go ahead and find the least expenisive donor action at a pawn shop or gun broker, and swap out the barrel with a prefit. You will save money, and it will shoot much better than any stock savage.

+1.......

I got my donor 110 on gunbroker for $250 to my FFL. Mine has the older 3 screw trigger but after some work it feels just as good as my buddies Accutrigger. If you are set on a chassis then there is no reason to pay for parts that you will just toss anyway. Add a prefit of your choice and go have fun.

If you are planning on getting a McRee right away, then just get a trophy hunter XP with the Nikon scope for 450 bucks. The factory DBM is useless because McCree has their own DBM and mag. Sell the scope for 100-150 bucks and you got your donor action for 300 dollars.

Savage TH XP 450-150=$300
McCree = $650
CBI/Shilen Barrel = $320
Barrel nut wrench plus gauges = $100

$1370 bucks

Thanks for the advice everyone. There's been some good points of looking for an action only and getting a barrel and chassis. Like I said this will be my first LR gun and I'm a little intimidated with putting it together, and I wouldn't mind going custom but I want to get a decent rifle and see if LR shooting is for me. There's a lot of options and things to think about though, so thanks again.

I also wouldn't buy a savage if I had no budget, even with my username. Yeah, it's great to be able to swap barrels yourself (I have about a dozen in different calibers and profiles), but if you're set on a dedicated long range 308 why would that be desirable? There are better options out there.

If you decide on the Savage route, watch Gunbroker closely. I've gotten multiple used 110s for under $250 over the past few years. My brother's deer gun (used, scoped 110) came from a pawn shop, talked down to $240. I would not go for a long action in 308 if you want a DBM.

The aftermarket is significantly better overall for Remington, especially if you want to spend some coin.

just get the 110 fcp chambered in a 300 win mag... it is an amazing straight out of the box rifle that won't cost an arm and a leg and will get u out to 1000 yards with a decent scope. It has a dbm,and a free float heavy barrel. the rifle costs about $1000 or less and drop another $1000 on optics. you will be amazed on the accuracy and distance it will deliver especially if u learn and use the fundamentals of marksmanship and recoil management. when the barrel blows out at 1000+- rounds shilen makes a "drop in" barrel that u can install yourself with the proper equipment its easy just do your homework and u will be fine.

shilen also makes barreled actions that swap like savages imo that would be the next best thing. they fit like remmys so getting a stock to fit would be easy... on another note: if money is not a concern for u like u stated why u looking for a savage? be a baller and get an AI or fuck get the .375 cheytac m200

Last edited:
I dont want to sound like a jerk but unless you've owned a Savage rifle I dont want to hear your advice on this topic.

I've been looking for a .308 long range rifle for a few weeks now. It'll be my first long range rifle and I don't want to get a high end custom gun as my first. I was torn between Savage and Remington and it seems that most people prefer the Savage since you can easily swap out barrels.

I've looked at their website and seen the different models, but would like the input of you all and your model, along with any regrets or praises. Also whats your opinion on the Accu-trigger. Finally, which model would you recommend?

I bought a 10 Precision Carbine. My thinking was it had all the features that I would add anyway (threaded barrel, detachable mag). I ended up replacing everything, I should have bought the cheapest model and built it all up instead of spending the extra to get a model with "features". My recommendation is a hog hunter or some such $400 rifle.
I think savage makes a great action, It won't compare with a $1400 custom, but it is clean and simple and they shoot.

Edit: The accutrigger that came in the 10pc was super crisp, zero creep, it is heavier than the "target" model accutrigger, but I had no problems with it.

Last edited:
Between here and the $12 you spend on Savageshooters for access to their classifieds, you can buy what you want by the time coffee is brewing. I've seen a 5r barrel, McRee, and Savage SA/308 on the boards today. Call Jim at NSS for anything you can't find by 10am.

That said, I've found Boiler's knowledge and experience to be well informed and level headed (a rarity on the interwebs)

I have two Savage's. Both which have been timed and tried by sss with the fluted bolt bodies. I just buy the cheapest one with the metal dbm and go from there. I have one in a Boyd's Tacticool and one in a Choate stock. I keep thinking about getting a MDT chassis. I have 308,22-250, and 6xc setups. I have been very happy with them, and I didn't spend 5k setting up each rifle.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

308.JPG
SAVAGEB308 3 SHOT GROUP.JPG
I have three savages a older model 10 in 223. The wife shoots a 7-08 and I just got the 10-fcp with HS precision stock 5r rifling
All shoot half inch with factory ammo.. New 10fcp is in 308..

Last edited:
I have several but will mention two. I have a Model 10 Predator in .243 that would not group until I found just the right combination...now it is very accurate. Also, just got a Model 12 LRP in .260 Rem. Like the gun but still need some more testing on the barrel.

I shot a few rounds from a friend's Savage 11 in .243 yesterday-- That little spitzer comes out of the muzzle going about 4,000 fps!
Very little recoil compared to my .308, and IIRC he said it will accept those Dark Eagle 10 round mags. Should be a great
varminter.

I have the 10fcp hs and it shoots lights out. Accurate mag makes a dbm that is a direct replacement for the factory dbm and uses AICS mags. I have their dbm on my 10fcp hs and on the rifle I built for my wife from a walmart model 10 package rifle. Thats not a bad way to go either, you can sell whatever pieces you dont use and recoup money on the purchase of the whole rifle. I sold the barrel (unfired) for $100, the scope rings and bases for $50 the stock for $30. There is, or at least was a guy on the savage shooter forum selling rock creek prefit barrels for $400-450 I cant remember. they were made to order but his turn around time was about three weeks when I bought mine. Threr are plenty of guys that will loan the tools to swap barrels if you will pay the shipping, and return them of course.

Just an FYI for everyone. The Savage Model 10's have been discontinued as of December 2013. The 10FCP in a McMillan stock (.223 .308 .338), and their 10 precision carbine in Accu stock with 20" barrel (.223 & .308) are the only ones available now. Well and their BA models witch are waaaaay over priced and over rated. They did away with the 10FCP-SR etc..

This was an economy build and will be a trainer until my skill level justifies something more expensive.

It shoots better than I do the trigger works but it takes some getting used to. I am not sure I will keep it:
Here's mine - a Savage 16 SS LH action - Criterion light varmint contour 18" threaded barrel (cut by ADCO) - PWS FSC30 flash hider - Custom stainless milled bolt handle - Oversize trued lug - dark eagle custom 10 round magazines -McMillan HTG, pillars, swirl (olive, light brown, tan)

Just an FYI for everyone. The Savage Model 10's have been discontinued as of December 2013. The 10FCP in a McMillan stock (.223 .308 .338), and their 10 precision carbine in Accu stock with 20" barrel (.223 & .308) are the only ones available now.

They still make the 10FCP-HS Precision as well.

i have a savage 12BVSS in 308 thats dropped in a mcree with a bushnell HDMR setting on top and love it, before putting it in a mcree it would shoot 1 MOA 3 shot groups with the cheapest of cheap ammo i could find. i havent got around to zeroing and testing it out since the upgrades.

Get the one with the McMillan and be done. Upgrade the barrel down the line if needed. The HS precision variant is nice as well for a little less.

Last edited:
I have a stainless model 12 bvss or fvss? (can't remember but it has the benchrest style stock) in 308 that I purchased in 2005 or 2006. The factory DBM is good (all metal, feeds well), and I have no complaints about the accutrigger (breaks clean and crisp, still at the factory setting). I see these pop up on forums/Gun Broker from time to time in the $600ish range. The gun shoots great, I haven't changed anything on it. My Remington also shoots great but it took time and money to get there.

Op, since this is your first LR gun I would look for a good used gun in the caliber you want and also purchase a reloading set up with all the fixings. The more rounds you send down range the better your skills will get.