• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which scopes break and which dont?

Re: Which scopes break and which dont?

I see you Mike!
wink.gif

That's the color of my legs and arms though after Saturday LOL

Ya I know Rob...I've got one.

*shrugs* the NH1 has worked very well for me. And we all know it depends on the shooter....I'm just saying don't discount it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see you Mike!
wink.gif

That's the color of my legs and arms though after Saturday LOL</div></div>

I bet your head looked like a tomato.

My face was peeling so bad I looked like a lizard molting.

Head was fine as I had a hat on but I was definitely an Alabama red neck that afternoon LOL

Poison, not saying they need to drop the NH1 as I know some like having the big space in the middle of the crosshair and the super large lines but just come up with more options. Take their standard mildot and redesign it some.

I've seen all the majors go down (except Hennies, but the sample I've seen in use is so much smaller thatn the others).

We are lucky to have the choices we have these days and its probably only going to get better.

Pic your features and where you want your dollars to end up and have at it.

I'm happy with my choice. I've accidently driven over my rifle (in a soft case), and the 5-25 T-pal on it was no worse for wear. Its also fallen on granite hard enough that I had to take a wire brush to get the granite out of the knurling. I love the retcicle (MPR) and support. All in all its a hard package to beat.

And glass is subjective, I have been behind the others mentioned side by side and saw nothing that makes me regret my choice. The last time I had an S&B, USO, Henny and NF side by side I will say that the NF probably had the slight edge on clarity (5-22 NXS), but they were all damned good. USO had the best FOV, and was a tossup with the Henny on eyebox comfort.

Rebel, you can still use the mils at 5x and I have at very close targets with distance measured in feet but it's not as easily usable as a little higher power. I usually don't go below 8x in matches and usually live between 10-15x so the P4F works very well.

Initial post said: "US optics, you will need the warranty and its hit or miss if it comes good or not."

Own several USO scopes and our department is moving toward adopting across the board.

In my experience with USO, one ST6 did need warranty work for a bound up reticle spring.

The rest have been bulletproof. The warranty work on the one problem scope was superlative and the company stands behind their stuff like NO company I have ever seen.

So can they break? Sure. Basic Hunter Safety lesson: "Safety is a mechanical device and mechanical devices fail." Same w. scopes. But how the company stands behind issues is what matters and there is no "hit or miss" with USO. It is center bullseye X-ring every time.

Cheers, Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most scopes have a lifetime warranty anyways, so why does it matter if it breaks? </div></div>

if i was out of state hunting or shooting a match, i wouldn't want a broken scope with a lifetime warranty. if i am in town and a scope goes down, how long is the turn around time on getting it repaired/replaced? is that enough time to get it reinstalled and re-zeroed before the next match?

in my honest opinion, it absolutely matters if a scope breaks, regardless of the warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/88ewpwPTA6Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/88ewpwPTA6Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

laugh.gif
</div></div>I always like that, most of these scopes are tougher then people give them credit. I baby mine anyway so it is not much of an issue for me.

I baby mine also, but I imagine when i get older and start competing and a being under stress things will happen, but it's a good feeling to know that i have a durable product. I did once leave my rifle on the back of a friends tool box as he road down range to check a target, he stopped and put it in the truck. He said he couldn't imagine how upset i would be if it fell off the back of the truck. Would i be a little upset? sure but only a little. I felt it could've taken the beating and been fine. Plus the scope covers were on
smile.gif
. Sometimes i have to remind myself i'm shooting a rifle built to take a beating, not my sako 85 hunter which does require intensive care.

USO gets a couple of iffy comments every now and then, and sure everyone makes a lemon, but the companies response and how they handle the solution to a person's problem should be also equally judged and in that criteria USO doesn't miss a beat. I've contacted them for little things and some stupid things when i first got my USO and they answered without hesitation and calm as could be. Fact is they're great people to do business with and american made. Sure it would be fun to try other scopes, but i can't find a reason to switch.

We were joking. But you've obviously never used one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Made in China with poor QC

No thanks......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me, I'd buy several durable scopes that are reliable, have decent glass and will get the job done.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 10 power scope with MIL/MIL is an excellent purchase for $200.

Think about it. Since ALL scopes will break, why not buy five of the MIL/MIL Bushnell 3200 10 power scopes and replace as necessary? Those 5 scopes will last you a heck of a lot longer for $1K than any $3,000 scope I've heard of. Plus you have spares to put on other rifles as needed.

Not a popular opinion, I know.</div></div>

LMAO! I was reading thru this thinking "He needs a few Bushy 10x scopes."

I have run them on 308 and 7mm mag bolt guns, AKs, and hard kicking 30-06 7600s, beating and banging them thru the woods, dropped my weapons on several occasions each year busting brush to get to the fields for hogs, whitetails, coyotes, etc. and never has a single one of them skipped a beat, even if they look like a train ran over them. I have sold off one (here on the hide) that never came out of the box, and one hard used one, and kept the worst looking example that has been running for three years.

So I agree. If you really, really, really want your scope to always be available ... buy three Bushy 10x fixed. You'll never open the box on two of them.
laugh.gif
</div></div></div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leopold had issues in the past, no one knows how current models work.</div></div>

I have a Leupold ER/T 8.5-25x50 M5 FFP TMR which is one of the most recent models Leupold has released. It's worked perfectly out of the box, and holds up to my .338 LM so far. Of course time will tell, but I don't have any reason to doubt it. Fit, finish, and solid feeling in my hands is all top notch.

omg, i almost couldn't stand watching that USO video. i dont know how anybody could intentionally do that to a piece of equipment. better men than me, i guess..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poison, a clean, clear design. P4F

SB_P4F_25x_2150m.jpg
</div></div>

Why is that SB image so blurry? Thats horrible.

All scopes break, unless they are safe queens.

The most reliable scope I've seen in use are NXS hands down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why is that SB image so blurry?</div></div>

Because S&B are blurry, duh. Couldn't have anything to do with his camera-fu...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldolds442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">omg, i almost couldn't stand watching that USO video. i dont know how anybody could intentionally do that to a piece of equipment. better men than me, i guess.. </div></div>
I wish I could find the old post of the guy beating his S&B in gravel, kicking it around, then tying it to the bumper of his jeep and going for a little drive down a dirt raod....it was awesome.

Just the experience of driving over my USO did it for me, but it ain't getting repeated for the camera that's for damned sure!!

Best part was when I told JBW#3 what I did, he said "shoot it, and if its not working right send it in and we'll take care of it!"...and it didn't need to go back in.

photo090310006copy.jpg

photo090310008copy.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The March is newer so not really proven tough like you are worried about. Also don't have a lifetime warranty do they? </div></div>

March scopes have a 5 year warranty - based on the size of the company, Japanese law prohibits them from offering a longer warranty.

Reports from owners indicate that if you have a problem outside the warranty period March will still take care of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why is that SB image so blurry? Thats horrible.</div></div>

It is very difficult to get photos through a scope with both the reticle and background clear. Try it some time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why is that SB image so blurry?</div></div>

Because S&B are blurry, duh. Couldn't have anything to do with his camera-fu... </div></div>

FU?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maladat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The March is newer so not really proven tough like you are worried about. Also don't have a lifetime warranty do they? </div></div>

March scopes have a 5 year warranty - based on the size of the company, Japanese law prohibits them from offering a longer warranty.

Reports from owners indicate that if you have a problem outside the warranty period March will still take care of you.

Why is that SB image so blurry? Thats horrible.</div></div>

It is very difficult to get photos through a scope with both the reticle and background clear. Try it some time. </div></div>

I have. Cheap point and shoot, no problem. That mountain in the background is over 2 miles away.
Picture2%20007a.jpg

I didn't take that pic. It's off the Finn Accuracy site taken at 2150 meters. Here's the link http://www.finnaccuracy.com/sb_pm2_52556.html

Not a good pic. I wouldn't take that as what the sight picture looks like because it doesn't. It was only put up to show the reticle design.

All scopes break as do rifles change zero. Building checks into your practice program can help detect equipment issues. For example, if you build a box test every so often into your dot drill practice, you may be able to identify tracking issues.

A drill that I do is to click up 0.5 mils, and use the holdover to take the bullet back to zero. Then go to 1.0 and do the same. ideally all the bullets will land nearly in the same spot. You'll also be able to virtually shoot groups this way and this can serve as an ammunition check.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking at a large number of scopes for my rifle. From all that I have read, and I have read plenty, some of the high end scopes break.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Heres what I have read</span>

The military is breaking 1 in 3 SB scopes.
Premier breaks or has issues
Us optics, you will need the warranty and its hit or miss if it comes good or not.
NF are bulletproof and very rugged but the glass is not as good as upper tier units. (Im leaning towards a NF 3x15 F1, ZS, HS, MLR2 at this point).
Leopold had issues in the past, no one knows how current models work.
IOR not so good for mechanics but glass is good

So which scope are bulletproof and wont break or have a very low chance of breaking during normal use?
</div></div>

Problemchild, why are you <span style="font-style: italic">giving advice</span> in the "march vs S&B" thread?
Based on "what you read" somewhere in the internet?
And you have an opinion on a certain scope brand <span style="font-style: italic">based on some internet picture</span>??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiroFijo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking at a large number of scopes for my rifle. From all that I have read, and I have read plenty, some of the high end scopes break.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Heres what I have read</span>

The military is breaking 1 in 3 SB scopes.
Premier breaks or has issues
Us optics, you will need the warranty and its hit or miss if it comes good or not.
NF are bulletproof and very rugged but the glass is not as good as upper tier units. (Im leaning towards a NF 3x15 F1, ZS, HS, MLR2 at this point).
Leopold had issues in the past, no one knows how current models work.
IOR not so good for mechanics but glass is good

So which scope are bulletproof and wont break or have a very low chance of breaking during normal use?
</div></div>

Problemchild, why are you <span style="font-style: italic">giving advice</span> in the "march vs S&B" thread?
Based on "what you read" somewhere in the internet?
And you have an opinion on a certain scope brand <span style="font-style: italic">based on some internet picture</span>?? </div></div>

I think your confusing me with your wife or someone to bitch at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldolds442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">omg, i almost couldn't stand watching that USO video. i dont know how anybody could intentionally do that to a piece of equipment. better men than me, i guess..</div></div>

Not better, just more wealthy

FU? </div></div>

I gave you the correct answer.

Not everyone has camera-fu (or even a mediocre camera).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brada2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not better, just more wealthy </div></div>

Why does it have to be "wealth". Maybe he's just one of those guys that does NOT have $3000 wheels on a $600 car then blames the government for his poverty and lack of health care. Or maybe like me he just likes to try and break shit. Hell when I was a kid I tried to take everything apart and if I couldn't... I'd find a brick or hammer to do it for me for no sane reason other than to find out what makes it tick. My USO (or willingness to beat on it if I were so inclined) doesn't mean I'm wealthy...It may just mean that I'd rather skip a happy meal once in a while to get exatly what I want and treat it how I please.

That's almost like me saying that you have USO envy. Do you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brada2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not better, just more wealthy </div></div>

Why does it have to be "wealth". Maybe he's just one of those guys that does NOT have $3000 wheels on a $600 car then blames the government for his poverty. Or maybe like me he just likes to try and break shit. Hell when I was a kid I tried to take everything apart and if I couldn't... I'd find a brick or hammer to do it for me. My USO (or willingness to beat on it if I were so inclined) doesn't mean I'm wealthy...It may just mean that I'd rather skip a meal once in a while to get exatly what I want and treat it how I please.

That's almost like me saying that you have USO envy. Do you?</div></div>

Dear Troll,

No, i dont have USO envy...i have a nightforce and thats just fine with me....if your parents bought you crap after you destroyed it thats their problem. i think you missed the point, if you buy something just to see if you can break it, money, in general or in this case how you treat your things must not matter. does it make you wealthy to buy a nice thing? No. does it make you an idiot to destroy such a thing just because you can or are "so inclined" to do so? Yes.

sincerly,

the guy that will keep the things he's worked so hard for in the best condition he possibly can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brada2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Troll,</div></div>

You really wanna to go there Flipper? With your mall ninja shoes on to boot?

I shit bigger than you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I'd wager that many (not all) broken optics were actually broken by some dumbass treating it badly...</div></div>

couldn't of said it better myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brada2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">couldn't of said it better myself. </div></div>

Out of context but I'll at least give you props for being consistantly dumb. That's not easy
wink.gif

In over 6 years of RSO work for the matches, and shooting ASC I believe I have seen every brand of scope I can remember go down including some of the most loved and expensive scopes discussed here. They are all mechanical and can break. This match does not even beat on a scope like real field use does. My optics live much harder lives during hunting season by far, not to mention those of you carrying your rifles on active duty. Buy at a level you can afford and be happy. There are several lower/mid cost brands that are proving useful that have been reviewed on the hide by many in recent months. I myself look forward to a higher class optic than the leupies I shoot now, but am currently satisfied for my need. YMMV

None of my scopes ever break.

But then again, all of my scopes are made of Bertrillium-Zantitium, which is unbreakable.

I ran a USO SN-4 on tours in Iraq and didn't baby it. My one point sling broke on me and my rifle fell approx. 8' on to concrete and landed on the illum adjustment knob. The knob was visibly tweaked, but still worked and did not lost zero (which I verified when I got back to base).

Just as important, USO took care of me when I got back Stateside at no charge. The will get my business again.

Here's a thought...Rather than ask which one's break or not or compare such things as CS or warranties, the more important question is...

Can you still engage a target with it when it does break? Will you be able to shoot around the malfunction when you have to? To me that's the measure of durability.

The Marine Corps breaking 1 in 3 S&B's is total BS. I carried one for almost 4 years and 3 deployments and the only problem I ever had was the MTC feature not working, which didn't affect the actual functioning of the scope whatsoever. Out of my 30 man class at SSBC at Pendleton, we had (IIRC) 3 scopes go down. Understand, these scopes are treated like a whore on dollar night. They aren't "abused," but the demands of the course aren't easy on equipment to say the least. Each rifle sees about 2000 rounds, they're dragged through dirt, mud, brush, water, etc on 15 stalks, and this is done class after class after class. No matter how careful a student is with his rifle, drops and falls happen all the time. While my partner and I were running to the target pits one day, my dumbass tripped and my 200 pound ass and my 50ish pound ruck landed straight on the rifle/scope. It shot perfectly from 300-1000 yards that day and for the remainder of the course. The only thing that happened was I got the fuck thrashed out of me because one of the instructors saw me fall... but that's my own fault haha. I never once worried about my S&B shitting the bed while I was on deployment, neither did any of my buddies.

Just my 2 cents though...

ETA: The day before we graduated, two dudes from S&B flew out from Germany to fix any and all problems with the scopes. Not only did they look at the schoolhouse's scopes, but they had us call our respective Platoons and inform them if they wanted to bring in any scopes, to do so. Those two guys worked literally all day breaking down every scope, inspecting them, cleaning them, and fixing any issues (if there were any). To me, that speaks volumes about the company.

Oh, and from talking to a few of my buddies that are using the PH's on the M110's in Afghan right now, they absolutely love them... flame suit on... :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Archer762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most scopes have a lifetime warranty anyways, so why does it matter if it breaks? If you're not using the rifle as an entry tool, most scopes will last forever, and you're just going to get a ton of subjective anecdotal stories rather than true data on durability.</div></div>

regardless of what the terms of the warranty are, a scope is useless if it's in for repair and not on your rifle.

i've personally had a lot of good luck with Sightron SIII scopes, Leupold Mark 4's, and my Weaver Tacticals

i've used S&B and Hensoldt scopes. i prefer the S&B P4F over Zeiss reticle.

Hogo,

the volume it speaks is equal and directly proportional to, and a function thereof, the currency produced in terms of profits S&B makes, has made, and will make, from U.S. Military contracts.

THREE ($3,000.00) THOUSAND DOLLARS per unit multiplied by ___ = x $000,000,000.00, - two plane tickets = still a little profit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hogo,

the volume it speaks is equal and directly proportional to, and a function thereof, the currency produced in terms of profits S&B makes, has made, and will make, from U.S. Military contracts.

THREE ($3,000.00) THOUSAND DOLLARS per unit multiplied by ___ = x $000,000,000.00, - two plane tickets = still a little profit. </div></div>

True statement

All makes will go down from time to time just some scopes go down less than others. The Nightforce scopes have been one of the most solid scopes we have ever sold. I feel Leupold has upped their reliability and the M5 we have been getting great feedback. The only issues I know of on the S&B are on the USMC 3-12x MTC turrets that have been going down but it is not the main scope and you can change the turret in the field. For the Premier they hand most of the issues in the start and have worked them out from what I have seen (Have one of the first 5-25x and it works great). As for IOR it also looks like they have also stepped up their game, I have not run one for some time.

Mike @ CST

Different category but I hunted Africa and spoke with PH about scopes, the least amount of trouble he sees is with Leupold.