• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Which scopes break and which dont?

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Im looking at a large number of scopes for my rifle. From all that I have read, and I have read plenty, some of the high end scopes break.

Heres what I have read

The military is breaking 1 in 3 SB scopes.
Premier breaks or has issues
Us optics, you will need the warranty and its hit or miss if it comes good or not.
NF are bulletproof and very rugged but the glass is not as good as upper tier units. (Im leaning towards a NF 3x15 F1, ZS, HS, MLR2 at this point).
Leopold had issues in the past, no one knows how current models work.
IOR not so good for mechanics but glass is good

So which scope are bulletproof and wont break or have a very low chance of breaking during normal use?

Re: Which scopes break and which dont?

Honestly they all will break. Its just how anything mechanical works and is only a matter of time.

I have a number of Leupolds that serve me very well. I have a Nightforce that serves me well. Either can fail. I think the trick is to buy from someone or from a company that will stand by you incase you do get the lemon!

Well, just from a straight probability standpoint, the simpler the scope design, the less likely it will break.

So if you want something that is less likely to break, then get a fixed power scope. Something like a fixed power USO. Fewer lenses and fewer moving parts mean Murphy's Law is less likely to bite.

This is probably why original sniper scopes came with 10x fixed power Unertels (sp?).

Any scope can break. Buy a quality scope within your price range and have fun with it. Don't over think it too much.

Low chance of breaking would be S&B, Hensoldt, or NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about a Razor?</div></div>

Good start but hasn't had the length of service as the others. It would be on the next line down below those three.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hensoldt. </div></div>
Do or don't?

I also would vote fixed 10x of any sort, s&b, uso, leupold. they don't have parralax adjustment or mag adjustment so they just plain have less parts that can break. the simpler the better for pure durability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any scope can break. Buy a quality scope within your price range and have fun with it. Don't over think it too much.

Low chance of breaking would be S&B, Hensoldt, or NF. </div></div>

Yep.

Fixed 10x might be better in the durability part but not in the usability unless you just plan on shooting man sized targets. Variable scopes have gotten much better over the years and can take quite a bit of abuse.

Don't limit yourself looking for a super strong scope unless you plan on stalking the streets of some Afgan town. Most people won't abuse a scope enough to break it.

If you plan on using the scope for precision shooting then buy a good variable in the 3-5x low end and 16-25x high end.

I'm going to assume that what you are looking for is opinions regarding which is least likely to give you trouble. I'd say the Nightforce. No, the glass isn't as good as Premier or S&B, and may not even be as good a the IOR, but the glass is plenty good enough and better than most. Considering its intended purpose, I really don't know that anyone can say that there is a better built scope. It's why I use them.

Unless you are going out and planning on putting you scope through some serious abuse, I don't see you having a problem with any of the scopes that you listed.

If it were me, I'd buy several durable scopes that are reliable, have decent glass and will get the job done.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 10 power scope with MIL/MIL is an excellent purchase for $200.

Think about it. Since ALL scopes will break, why not buy five of the MIL/MIL Bushnell 3200 10 power scopes and replace as necessary? Those 5 scopes will last you a heck of a lot longer for $1K than any $3,000 scope I've heard of. Plus you have spares to put on other rifles as needed.

Not a popular opinion, I know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hensoldt. </div></div>
Do or don't?</div></div>

Do not.

Not in the same price tier, but SS scopes seem to have a hell of a reliabilty factor going for them and they have models across the mag range, especially with the new 5x20 coming soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any scope can break. Buy a quality scope within your price range and have fun with it. Don't over think it too much.
</div></div>

Yeap!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any scope can break. Buy a quality scope within your price range and have fun with it. Don't over think it too much.
</div></div>

Yeap! </div></div>

I agree with that statement and always have. But there was a time on this forum when you could have been run off on a rail for sayin it.
wink.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking at a large number of scopes for my rifle. From all that I have read, and I have read plenty, some of the high end scopes break.

Heres what I have read

Us optics, you will need the warranty and its hit or miss if it comes good or not.
NF are bulletproof and very rugged but the glass is not as good as upper tier units. (Im leaning towards a NF 3x15 F1, ZS, HS, MLR2 at this point).

So which scope are bulletproof and wont break or have a very low chance of breaking during normal use?
</div></div>

the ones that stay on the bench will not break.....

i can break a steal ball in a rubber room and i haven't broken a nightforce yet. my original one is 11 years old and still working like it did the day it was new. i have one 3.5-15 nsx, two 5.5-22 nsx and one 3.5-15f1. all of them have lots of use except for the f1. i haven't had a chance to try it out yet but i am not worried about it's reliability one bit.

then again, i haven't used any other brands in the last 11 years so my opinion may not mean much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i can break a steal ball in a rubber room and i haven't broken a nightforce yet. my original one is 11 years old and still working like it did the day it was new. i have one 3.5-15 nsx, two 5.5-22 nsx and one 3.5-15f1. all of them have lots of use except for the f1. i haven't had a chance to try it out yet but i am not worried about it's reliability one bit.

then again, i haven't used any other brands in the last 11 years so my opinion may not mean much. </div></div>

I have a bushnell air rifle scope that is 20 years old, it still holds zero and tracks. Therefore 25$ Bushnell > NF
smile.gif

edit: it has a BDC dial too, it was pretty badass on my chipmunk 22 when I was 7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking at a large number of scopes for my rifle. From all that I have read, and I have read plenty, some of the high end scopes break.

Heres what I have read

</div></div>

the ones that stay on the bench will not break..... </div></div>

Wellllll......fact is, I've seen several break on a bench...and some that cost more than the rifle too.

okie

Curious on where the statement of "the military is breaking 1 out of 3 S&B's", not saying its not true just wondering.

Its hard to judge durability based on the military's experience with them for one reason...some guys just treat their kit like crap for no other reason than it's not theirs. Then in the same breath will complain when it breaks.

Regardless of how solid something is built there will be someone out there that will figure out a way to smash it. I've seen apparently bomb-proof shit get broken that I looked at afterwards and thought...are you freakin kidding me? <span style="text-decoration: underline">It</span> broke? All by itself? As someone said, they all break but the simpler the design the less chance of failure so I'd agree with the fixed power comments.

I have a USO that by all rights should have broke but it didn't. A 100+ lb shooting table fell over and landed on my barrel while the rifle was on a bipod. The see-saw effect flipped it over on the concrete and landed on the windage knob which thankfully was covered with a field cap. The impact also gouged my flip-up objective cover. Freakin thing held zero and pasted a string of sub-half minute groups at 200 yards immediately afterwards, and has tracked perfectly out to 600. Yet there are probably guys out there that have simply looked at the same scope the wrong way and it broke.

Factor this in though...I'd wager that many (not all) broken optics were actually broken by some dumbass treating it badly and they won't admit it. Then factor the scopes that get sent back that were perfectly fine and the guy just didn't know how to shoot. Believe me they're out there and the broken optic story lives on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me, I'd buy several durable scopes that are reliable, have decent glass and will get the job done.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 10 power scope with MIL/MIL is an excellent purchase for $200.

Think about it. Since ALL scopes will break, why not buy five of the MIL/MIL Bushnell 3200 10 power scopes and replace as necessary? Those 5 scopes will last you a heck of a lot longer for $1K than any $3,000 scope I've heard of. Plus you have spares to put on other rifles as needed.

Not a popular opinion, I know.</div></div>

LMAO! I was reading thru this thinking "He needs a few Bushy 10x scopes."

I have run them on 308 and 7mm mag bolt guns, AKs, and hard kicking 30-06 7600s, beating and banging them thru the woods, dropped my weapons on several occasions each year busting brush to get to the fields for hogs, whitetails, coyotes, etc. and never has a single one of them skipped a beat, even if they look like a train ran over them. I have sold off one (here on the hide) that never came out of the box, and one hard used one, and kept the worst looking example that has been running for three years.

So I agree. If you really, really, really want your scope to always be available ... buy three Bushy 10x fixed. You'll never open the box on two of them.
laugh.gif

I bought a Leupold 8.5x25x50 scope put a Larue tactical mount on it, went to go site it in, had to walk through ruff terrain for 200 yrd zero. My ankle gave out in a hole and i did a hard fall and roll over the ar and scope. Held zero and still no scratches lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
What is your intended use? What caliber of rifle are you going to use it on? Are you gonna be a knob twister, or want a "hold over" style reticle. Is your life going to depend on the operation of the scope?
I have had Bushnell, Leupold, and Nightforce, all have great warrantys, I did have to send in a "low end" Bushnell scope in, (it was a $150. scope) and it only cost me $15 for shipping. If you pay more than $600 for a scope I would say that it will serve most people well.
SScott

Awfully broad question. It sits right beside the best scope for me.

A hunter scope can last 20 years as few get real rough treatment. Rough is of course in the eye of the dropper.

A target or tacticool rifle needs internals tough as nails because the turrets get the equal workout of a payday hooker's nipples. Steel on steel or soon you will be unhappy.

If you are outfitting a few dozen safe queens then BSA for 90% of them and real scopes for the ones you actually use.

If your the S4 of your local militia then the question is what can your guy's afford?

Having seen many scopes fire many rounds, ALL scopes break. Some do it more than others- its the time between breakdowns that you are paying for.

Leupold, NF, S&B, Hensh, Trijicon, Nikon, Bushy, Ziess, Swar...ahh however you spell it... there is quite a list.

Its an ahhhh interesting problem to have, needing to buy a bunch of scopes in a timely manner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its an ahhhh interesting problem to have, needing to buy a bunch of scopes in a timely manner.</div></div>
I think you might have read that wrong...I don't think he's looking for a large quantity of scopes, he's just looking for one scope but is looking as a bunch of <span style="font-style: italic">potential</span> scopes.

At the NRA convention NF had a scope from Iraq that took a direct round from a AK. The scope worked as intended except for the magnification being stuck on 15x. Appearantly the operator used some duct tape to seal up the hole(s) and went about his business until the operation was over a few days later. Image

Made in China with poor QC

No thanks......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it were me, I'd buy several durable scopes that are reliable, have decent glass and will get the job done.

Not a popular opinion, I know.</div></div>

LMAO! I was reading thru this thinking "He needs a few Bushy 10x scopes."

I have run them on 308 and 7mm mag bolt guns, AKs, and hard kicking 30-06 7600s, beating and banging them thru the woods, dropped my weapons on several occasions each year busting brush to get to the fields for hogs, whitetails, coyotes, etc. and never has a single one of them skipped a beat, even if they look like a train ran over them. I have sold off one (here on the hide) that never came out of the box, and one hard used one, and kept the worst looking example that has been running for three years.

So I agree. If you really, really, really want your scope to always be available ... buy three Bushy 10x fixed. You'll never open the box on two of them.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Nikons are pretty rugged. I have two that have never given trouble.

I have two NF, never broken them.

I'm fairly careful, but not fanatically so. They get normal target practice and tactical use. No combat use or heavy hunting (dragging rifles etc). I sometimes carry the rifle by gripping them. I put lens caps on when I put them away. I blow the dust off. If they get muddy I wipe the mud off carefully. No HARD falls. Some minor bumps is all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the NRA convention NF had a scope from Iraq that took a direct round from a AK. The scope worked as intended except for the magnification being stuck on 15x. Appearantly the operator used some duct tape to seal up the hole(s) and went about his business until the operation was over a few days later. Image </div></div>

Never saw this picture before. That is one hell of an advertisement for NF!

I think BSA's will fall apart........but in a good way, they make great field expedient fleshlights

*sarcasm* The Nightforce should be ruled out because it didn't stop the bullet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you are going out and planning on putting you scope through some serious abuse, I don't see you having a problem with any of the scopes that you listed. </div></div>

This. If you are beating the ever living crap out of it, no matter what you get, it will fail eventually. Unless it's made of Bertrillium-Zantitium of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eclipse57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Never saw this picture before. That is one hell of an advertisement for NF!</div></div>

You're one of the few that haven't. It's been on here many times and they use it in their ads and on their webpage.

Most scopes have a lifetime warranty anyways, so why does it matter if it breaks? If you're not using the rifle as an entry tool, most scopes will last forever, and you're just going to get a ton of subjective anecdotal stories rather than true data on durability.

A scope is a mechanical device thus it will eventually break, yes this includes the top tier optic including S&B, Hensoldt, NF, USO, Premier, etc..... However some are built better then others. Just keep two thing in ming when purchasing an optic:

1) You DO get what you pay for.

2) Who will stand behind their product when it fails?

Over my life time I have dealt with MANY different optics companies. And these experiences have taught me the above mentioned things. This is why I purchase the optics I do and why I no longer own others. So go find a scope that meets your requirements then use the above statements to figure out which is the best option for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eclipse57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Never saw this picture before. That is one hell of an advertisement for NF!</div></div>

You're one of the few that haven't. It's been on here many times and they use it in their ads and on their webpage. </div></div>

^^ Yup... and here it is again for the ones too lazy to click!:
Bullethole-scope.gif

So between the NF F1 3x15, The USO SN3 3x17, The March 2x25 and the Hensoldt 4x16 which would be the hands down choice?

You guys have so much more knowledge than I do about this kind of glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So between the NF F1 3x15, The USO SN3 3x17, The March 2x25 and the Hensoldt 4x16 which would be the hands down choice?

You guys have so much more knowledge than I do about this kind of glass. </div></div>

There is no hands down choice with those options. Just get the one the suits your needs best. All are reputable companies that make a quality product. Hensoldt will have the best glass. NF is made right here at home and is very robust as is USO. My personal choice would be the NF but of you can't go wrong with anything you listed.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/88ewpwPTA6Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/88ewpwPTA6Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So between the NF F1 3x15, The USO SN3 3x17, The March 2x25 and the Hensoldt 4x16 which would be the hands down choice?

You guys have so much more knowledge than I do about this kind of glass.</div></div>

A S&B 5-25x56 with P4F reticle.
smile.gif
Been in use with many militaries around the world if you were worried about it's toughness. From what I am told the problems with the USMC scopes is not on the S&B end. Also 1 in 3 is I am sure an overstated number.

I have had 2 NF F1 and 5 USOs. The S&B I find to be a better scope. Better glass and magnification range than the NF and also a better reticle although the new MLR2 is taking care of the original MLR reticle's downsides. Better glass and tracking on the internals than the USO. Also better knobs for me.

The March is newer so not really proven tough like you are worried about. Also don't have a lifetime warranty do they?

I don't like the reticles on the Hensoldt. If they would break down and make a good basic reticle then it would be better IMHO and I would even overlook the lack of zero stop. All they need is a basic mil hash reticle with .5 mil marks. Simple design but works very well in actual use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So between the NF F1 3x15, The USO SN3 3x17, The March 2x25 and the Hensoldt 4x16 which would be the hands down choice?

You guys have so much more knowledge than I do about this kind of glass.</div></div>

A S&B 5-25x56 with P4F reticle.
smile.gif
Been in use with many militaries around the world if you were worried about it's toughness. From what I am told the problems with the USMC scopes is not on the S&B end. Also 1 in 3 is I am sure an overstated number.

I have had 2 NF F1 and 5 USOs. The S&B I find to be a better scope. Better glass and magnification range than the NF and also a better reticle although the new MLR2 is taking care of the original MLR reticle's downsides. Better glass and tracking on the internals than the USO. Also better knobs for me.

The March is newer so not really proven tough like you are worried about. Also don't have a lifetime warranty do they?

I don't like the reticles on the Hensoldt. If they would break down and make a good basic reticle then it would be better IMHO and I would even overlook the lack of zero stop. All they need is a <span style="font-weight: bold">basic mil hash reticle with .5 mil marks</span>. Simple design but works very well in actual use. </div></div>

Is that not the NH1?

No. This is. It could be designed better.

wveow1.jpg

I love that reticle, if Henny did reticle upgrades or swaps I'd be all over it on 2 out of 3 hennies.

I hate to say it, but I will: The glass on my new NF F1 MLR2 is noticeably better than the glass on, well, dare I say the three letters??!!

In defense of all premium optics companies it must be said that all have 'specs' and maybe I just got one that is toward the higher level of the NF 'specs'. But the scope wasn't given to me or hand-picked; I spent my own money on it and it came that way out of the box.

And I'm impressed at the glass: on what is usually the NF weak point.

Poison, a clean, clear design. P4F

SB_P4F_25x_2150m.jpg