• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which seating stem to I need / have?

throwback

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2010
TX, USA
I have a ~3 year old Redding micro seating die for .308. The opening in the seating stem fit my 178gr A-max 'perfectly' (no wiggle). I'm working with 175gr SMKs now, and there is some wiggle room. Concentricity on my A-maxes are almost perfect, but .003 on my SMKs. I know there is debate on how much this actually matters, but I would like it to be a good as possible. There are now VLD stems for Redding, but wouldn't that fit the secant ogive SMK worse? Long story short, I need to know if there is a stem I can buy that will more closely match the 175gr SMK profile.

Thanks in advance

Make your own...almost. Go through your loaded rounds of SMK until you find one with zero run-out. Wax the case and bullet. Clean and wax the inside of your die. Degrease the inside of the seating stem cavity. Put a drop of epoxy inside the cavity and run the loaded case up until it touches. Let it set. Take die apart and clean up any forced out epoxy. Drill a tiny hole at the tip of the bullet cavity to allow for varying tip shapes. Put it back together and load away.

I've heard that trick before and have been meaning to try it.

Can't seem to load consistently straight ammo. But I am a firm believer of it mattering a lot. I've been "straightening" the high run out ammo and ever since then, my groups have shrunk and my water line at 800, 900 and 1k is all that I have ever hoped for.

FWIW - VLDs are secant ogive bullets, your 175 SMKs are tangent ogive bullets. The major difference between a standard and VLD seating stem is that the pocket in the standard stem is roughly cone shaped near the mouth and the hole is not quite as deep. The VLD stem pocket only has a small flange near the mouth and the hole is deeper and wider, pretty much staying that way to the bottom. This allows the longer and sharper noses of VLD type bullets to be seated correctly without the meplat bottoming out, which can cause increased runout.

Can you elaborate on "wiggle"? The seating stem should really only contact the bullet ogive in a concentric ring somewhere below the meplat. Often, it will leave a small indented ring around the nose on a seated bullet. If you can detect wiggle when the tip of a bullet is placed into the stem, one of two things is likely happening. Either the stem and/or bullet nose is out of round and therefore are not contacting in a concentric circle all the way around. Alternatively, the meplat is bottoming out in the pocket, which also prevents the stem from contacting the bullet in a concentric circle and allows it to wobble as it is seated. In other words, the stem is seating the bullet by pushing on the very tip of the meplat itself, not a concentric circle just below the meplat. This seems the more likely, although a 175 SMK really shouldn't be bottoming out using a standard seater stem. You could check by removing the stem and pushing a 175 SMK bullet into the pocket. If the nose bottoms out before the bullet ogive contacts the outer edge of the hole, you should be able to tell. If that is really happening, a VLD stem may well solve your runout issues by providing enough room so that the nose doesn't bottom out and the stem can contact the bullet in a concentric circle and push it evenly (and straight) into the case.

Thanks for the quick replies all - Sorry reversed the Secant/Tangent - I like the idea of 'forming' your own custom, that's slick. Now that you say that, recall hearing long ago you can use hot glue to the same end with less permanent results. I'll give a try.

Best I can describe - It's like my current seating stem was 'custom made' for the amax, and marginal for the SMKs. The Amax are held rigid in perfect linear alignment, not so much with the SMKs and i'm convinced that's whats inducing my runout.