• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which should I buy first?

Trx498r

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2014
Marion NC
I'm looking into either getting a nice annealing setup or a nice scale/trickler setup. I currently have a chargemaster setup with all the mods but was looking into a fx120i scale with a trickler. Or should I go ahead and get a annealing setup I was thinking the giraud with the induction upgrade. I'm not currently annealing my brass. Where would my money be better spent? Looking to up the accuracy on my reloads and lower es/sd numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with GhengisAhn175. Annealing will help your ES/SD. I posted in another thread that I've loaded annealed brass straight from a Chargemaster with MDM12's insert and sleeve and my ES was 18 and SD was 5.8 over 15 rounds. While there are some who disagree with the benefits of annealing, I'm a believer and will continue to anneal after each firing.

Reactions: Sendit6.5
You already have a good scale. I'd be getting into annealing. Check out the benchsource annealing machine. Mine works great.

I really want to go the induction route with either a amp or a modified giraud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would wager you'll notice a bigger improvement annealing and using your current scale than not annealing and going to a more accurate scale. I've annealed with a drill, socket and torch for the better part of a decade and it gets the job done. There are more consistent and possible more accurate ways to anneal but I haven't had a problem keeping very consistent velocities and I use a rcbs scale also

The AMP system and support head and shoulders above the other induction systems, IMO.

The AMP system and support head and shoulders above the other induction systems, IMO.

And I should hope so for the price of it though I suppose by the time you convert a giraud its not far off. So I suppose that makes it an automated or digital decision.

I wonder if you could convert an annealez or one of elfsters home brew versions to an annie to lower the price point a bit. Get the best of both worlds, flameless and the ability to load up a hopper for a lower price than the amp/giraud.

I usually anneal a couple hundred rounds of brass at a time and use the Annie. It's a one at a time machine but I can easily do a couple hundred rounds of brass in 20-30 minutes. It's half the price (less even) than the AMP and works great. Takes up little room, easy to
set up and repeatable. It takes me 2.8 seconds to anneal a piece of Lapua.260 brass and there's no torch to set up. I shoot 1200 rounds a year or so but I'd have to be shooting a thousand rounds a month to feel like I needed the Girard.

There working on an automated system for the AMP. I know the single feed on the AMP was a deal killer for some people. Supposed to be able to retrofit the current models and supposed to cost around $250. Don't know if they have an estimated release date yet or even close to an idea but they were talking about it at shot.

The AMP annealer is so sweet you'll need a cigarette after using it. Well worth saving your $$ for!

There working on an automated system for the AMP. I know the single feed on the AMP was a deal killer for some people. Supposed to be able to retrofit the current models and supposed to cost around $250. Don't know if they have an estimated release date yet or even close to an idea but they were talking about it at shot.

Has anyone ever answered the question as to how long, or time of continued use the AMP will take, I'm under the assumption it's not liquid cooled?

Has anyone ever answered the question as to how long, or time of continued use the AMP will take, I'm under the assumption it's not liquid cooled?

6.5 guys did a good review on it (should check it out) and I think they said they never tripped the temperature protector on it. The AMP website says a minimum of 200 cases on max setting. I think the 6.5 guys said they ran that many thru it and it never tripped. I just got mine and haven't got to use it yet other than running a couple of cases thru it just to use it.

If it can run 200 on max I would think it could run quite a few more 6.5 cm size cases.

6.5 guys did a good review on it (should check it out) and I think they said they never tripped the temperature protector on it. The AMP website says a minimum of 200 cases on max setting. I think the 6.5 guys said they ran that many thru it and it never tripped. I just got mine and haven't got to use it yet other than running a couple of cases thru it just to use it.

If it can run 200 on max I would think it could run quite a few more 6.5 cm size cases.

I'll look that up, when I fire mine up it's 400 min, sometimes up to 1200 cases, I just set a morning aside and knock them out. As of now can't see how a case feeding system will benefit the AMP. I want an AMP, and would change my habits up, but I need 400 in a setting or I'm out.