• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which stock rifle for a newbie?

isaactc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Traverse City, Mi
I am just getting into the long range shooting sports after many years away from it.I think I would be better off starting off with a good stock factory rifle and see if this 59 year olds skills are still up to it for a couple of years before investing in a build rifle. I am looking hard at the Remington 700 SS mil-spec. or the 700 Tactical target, .308, for targets out to 600 yards. Does this sound like a good plan, any advice on the rifles? I really need some sound advice! Thanks, guys.

Re: Which stock rifle for a newbie?

The 700's are good rifles, but now a days Savages have been better out of the box. Douglas makes the Savage barrels and this gives them a great advantage. My stock 308 shot great all the way to 1000yds. Best thing, you can also spend a little more on a stock Savage and get it with either an HS or Mcmillan stock. Once you decide to go custom, you can fully customize a Savage now and spend less money than on a Remington(especially if you get one with the HS or Mcmillan, you will already have a custom stock). The accu-trigger is also a great feature on the Savage as well. It can be adjusted very easily by you to fit your preference. Good luck which ever way you decide to go, just wanna throw the Savage idea at you too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg </div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 700's are good rifles, but now a days Savages have been better out of the box. Douglas makes the Savage barrels and this gives them a great advantage. My stock 308 shot great all the way to 1000yds. Best thing, you can also spend a little more on a stock Savage and get it with either an HS or Mcmillan stock. Once you decide to go custom, you can fully customize a Savage now and spend less money than on a Remington(especially if you get one with the HS or Mcmillan, you will already have a custom stock). The accu-trigger is also a great feature on the Savage as well. It can be adjusted very easily by you to fit your preference. Good luck which ever way you decide to go, just wanna throw the Savage idea at you too.</div></div>
+1 I agree with this.

Thanks so much. I have looked at the Savage lineup, and they look good, but I didn't know if they rated a comparison to the Remington. I will take a much closer look and post what I end up with and what it is capable of.

Search around here on the Hide you will find anything you need to know about Savage. I just posted some pics of my Savage in the Bolt action section it says Bartlein Barreled 6.5 Creedmoor Pics. Check it out and get an idea of what you can do with one.

Hey what range you plan on practicing at and are you just punching paper or are you wanting to hunt with it too and are you reloading or buying stock ammo? also because of modern machining alot of rifles are sub moa and the biggest gain you can get is buying good glass. Personally (with out knowing your budget or plan) I would buy a rem 700 varmint and then invest what you can into glass for 2 reasons. 1- you can upgrade on the 700 platform all you want later if you desire, and 2 glass is what it is, cant upgrade it and you cant hit what you cant see, but you dont need a USO or S&B if you aren't practicing out past 500

+1 for the Savage rifles. They've long been considered the most accurate "out-of-the-box" rifle, but the aftermarket was lacking, if not non-existent. That's no longer the case. The aftermarket has exploded...everything from triggers to barrels to stocks.

Savage is a great platform to learn to shoot with and decide what features you like and don't. The .308 is also a great choice because good factory ammo is plentiful and it reloads easily. The key to shooting proficiency is trigger time and the Savage will let you be confident in your rig so you can concentrate on the shot.

I'm partial to Remington 700s because they are good sticks and are the standard upon which all aftermarket upgrades are based. That said, I agree the Savages are extremely accurate out of the box. I also agree that Savage has been working harder to provide shooters with a better stock target rifle...and succeeding....with excellent prices.

I just sold my Winchester 23, and finally have the funds for a new rifle. As I am new to this I have ordered a Savage 10 FCP McMillan, .308, topped off with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 on Seekins rings and 20moa rail.This will leave me enoughe cash for about 500 hundred rounds of brass and assorted A-Max and SMK's. I realize I need to do a lot of shooting, it will be all target - 100 to 600 yards. Thanks for all of the advice, guys, I really appreciate all of the input and knowledge I am gaining by daily visits to the Hide! Dan

You did well. I am a Remington guy, but have shot those Savages. They do very well. The Vortex is also a great scope for the money. Let's see some groups!

If you have the money, get a Sako TRG 22. Good to go right out of the box, no mods needed and you will have no excuses. They shoot great! And it will hold it's resale value if you ever do want to sell it (and get a high end custom, which is the only thing better).

Savage and Remington will probably be the best options for you. If you are on a budget maybe get an sps tactical and buy a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. My friend just got one not long ago in the setup that I just mentioned and the rifle is a shooter. With FGMM 168 he consistently keeps it around .5 moa at 100 yards for 5 shot groups. Not too bad considering that the whole rifle/scope package cost him just over $1000. He has a swafa ss 16x mounted on top. I heard great things about Savage rifles as well. I have an fclp-k on backorder right now but unfortunately can't tell you anything about it since I have been waiting for the last 4 months hoping that it arrives soon. Those lucky enough to buy them right away are very pleased though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waynea_91</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg </div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 700's are good rifles, but now a days Savages have been better out of the box. Douglas makes the Savage barrels and this gives them a great advantage. My stock 308 shot great all the way to 1000yds. Best thing, you can also spend a little more on a stock Savage and get it with either an HS or Mcmillan stock. Once you decide to go custom, you can fully customize a Savage now and spend less money than on a Remington(especially if you get one with the HS or Mcmillan, you will already have a custom stock). The accu-trigger is also a great feature on the Savage as well. It can be adjusted very easily by you to fit your preference. Good luck which ever way you decide to go, just wanna throw the Savage idea at you too.</div></div>
+1 I agree with this. </div></div>

Completely agree. IMO, the accutrigger isn´t only a great feature, its an AWESOME feature, feels just like a jewell or something.

Finally got it put together, Savage 10 FCP Mcmillan, .308, Nightforce 20 rail and rings, topped off with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50. Now I am waiting for my Lapua brass and 175 SMK's to get here from Midway and it's out to the range for sighting in and some fun. I am way too excited about this for a guy my age, I forgot how much fun this can be. Thanks again for all the advice. I will try to post some pics if I don't embarass myself too badly!

i am too looking for a stock.its for my ruger m-77, cal.300 win mag.i shoot quite often and have built a cheek rest on the factory stock.but still would like to get a tac. stock but am not sure where to go any help would be appre.

Very good choice. A Savage 308 was my first bolt gun as well.

I am following the advice of some guys here on the Hide, and have taken my Savage to a competent gunsmith to have the Mcmillan stock glass and pillar bedded. In my fisrt 100 round I have been able to get a few .50 groups consistently and my last one would have been substantially smaller except for my 5th round "flyer". I am sure it is my shooting and not the gun. When I get it back next week I plan on moving out past 100 yards to three and maybe 600 with a buddy who shoots 600 and 1,000 regularly. I cant wait to go to a few of the Michigan 1,000 yard matches and see what I can learn from some of the competitors. This has to be one of the best sports available, and it is mostly the shooters. like the guys here on the Hide which make it a pleasure! Thanks all!

Sounds like a great plan. Buy a remington 700, whatever and shoot the shit out of it, and proceed from there.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the barrel nut!! Be sure to get some pics posted up of that badboy when you can. As you know, we are definately waiting on the range reports!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: isaactc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got it put together, Savage 10 FCP Mcmillan, .308, Nightforce 20 rail and rings, topped off with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50. Now I am waiting for my Lapua brass and 175 SMK's to get here from Midway and it's out to the range for sighting in and some fun. I am way too excited about this for a guy my age, I forgot how much fun this can be. Thanks again for all the advice. I will try to post some pics if I don't embarass myself too badly! </div></div>

You did good. Have fun.