• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which store bought ammo is best for 308

Alecto

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2010
Arizona, USA
Since I don't have a reloading station setup yet, I'm wondering which store bought ammo is best for 308(7.62x51), shooting accurate and constant at 600yards to 1000yards. My friend told me one, it was Lapua Silver Jacket Scenar Ammunition 308 Winchester 167 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Moly.

Re: which store bought ammo is best for 308

You'll have to test out what your rifle likes first. Go buy some and see what prints the smallest groups and then but a BUNCH of that same lot #. I'd recommend a 175 grain bullet for those distances.
Federal Gold Medal Match in a 175 SMK bullet or BlackHills 175 Match

The best store bought ammo is the one that shoots best in your gun. Every rifle is going to be a unique beast. One of mine likes Federal GMM 168. Another shoots better with Hornady 168. Neither shoot Winchester worth a damn. You're gonna have to buy a few boxes of each to find out which will work best. Also test them at the ranges you want. Just because it's accurate at 100 yards doesn't mean it will be at 600.

My 2 rifles love Federal Gold Medal Match 168's. I would really only use them to 600-800 and then I would probably go with the 175's. I also have some Corbon 190's I have not tried yet. I am assuming they will be good past 800 in my rifle but you have to have the twist rate to handle them also.

GG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qld4390</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best store bought ammo is the one that shoots best in your gun. Every rifle is going to be a unique beast. One of mine likes Federal GMM 168. Another shoots better with Hornady 168. Neither shoot Winchester worth a damn. You're gonna have to buy a few boxes of each to find out which will work best. Also test them at the ranges you want. Just because it's accurate at 100 yards doesn't mean it will be at 600. </div></div>

Good advice imho.

Like folks have said, your mileage will vary with all factory ammo. You may have excellent results with one brand/load while someone else with the same or similar rifle may not have the same results. Your best bet is reloading to tailor your ammo to your rifle and shooting environment.

For out to 1k...pass on the 168gr loads. 168gr SMKs will work great out to about 700-800yds, but they'll be sideways by the time you get to 1k with most rifles under normal conditions.

If I were you, I would try out the following factory options and see what works best for your rifle:

1) Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM) 175gr SMKs;
2) Corbon 155gr Lapua Scenars;
3) Corbon 175gr SMKs;
4) Black Hills 175gr SMKs;
5) Lapua 155gr Scenars.

All of these are high quality ammo selections that offer match-grade accuracy from most rifles.

For what its worth my 700 police loves Georgia Arms 168 match. Great price and for the money I get to shoot more and learn more. My rifle printed a 1.5" three shot group at 464 yards just this Sunday morning. The wind was unusually calm, but the group is not unusual. I know its not the highest quality ammo available, but I find it hard to justify the extra money. And I agree with everyone else to avoid the 168's at 1,000.

I do plan to explore the other ammo available for use in matches or at 1,000, but for now I just pull out the canned heat 168's and get some work done.

Federal Gold Medal Match in 168 or 175 is very consistent ammo. It seems to shoot well in most guns, and if it shoots well with one box it will with the next 20.

If you plan to reload, you could do worse than to shoot for the consistency of FGMM.

Also, the Federal brass has good life for reloading.

madd0c