• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which 'version' of CLR for cleaning?

Viper1973

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2013
Southeastern Indiana
Guys,
Which version of CLR is the one recommended for cleaning suppressors?
I didn't realize there were two different products with essentially the same name until I went to pick up a jug.

Don't want to screw up by using the wrong one.

Attachments

• zep-calcium-lime-rust-removers-zucal32-64_1000.jpg
    zep-calcium-lime-rust-removers-zucal32-64_1000.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 160
  • clr-calcium-lime-rust-removers-cl4-p-64_1000.jpg
    clr-calcium-lime-rust-removers-cl4-p-64_1000.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 127
Even the generic store brand will be next to identical for you intended usage.

Check with the can manufacturer , all these chemicals are acid based and react differently with the different materials. CLR needs to be AVOIDED with aluminum and some stainless steels . All my cans are Ti and CLR is what is recommended by the manufacturer.

Reactions: Sierra770
I'm doing this right now with a 30 cal can, alternating between both the name-brand and generic CLR. The generic works just as good.

Do you soak the entire suppressor in CLR or do you try to plug it and pour it inside of the suppressor? I have a Dead Air Sandman S and would like to know the correct procedure.

Yes, plug it and fill it. Let it sit overnight. Dump the CLR into a glass container and let it sit. Most of the carbon will settle to the bottom and you'll be able to use most of the it again. It's going to take more than one try, and CLR aint terribly cheap. Run water down it and shake it out. I also rap mine (not terribly hard) on concrete covered with thin carpet to knock the junk free. Rinse and repeat.