• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

while cleaning my ruger m77 6mm the cleaning rod got stuck in the barrel from the bolt end any suggestions on getting it out

ruger moe

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2021
fla
while cleaning my ruger m77 6mm the cleaning rod got stuck in the barrel with the brush on it and I cant get it out any suggestions

What @spife7980 said. Might have to get your hip against the cleaning rod handle, grab the rifle tight, and give it a good hip check...

Reactions: HenryTheAce
Tie some cord around the handle with enough length to create an inertia hammer. Tie something heavy to the other end of the cord. Support the rifle well and whip the slack out of the cord with the heavy thing…you either break the handle off, break the cord, or pull the rod out. Next, stop using the rod and/or doing whatever brush-reversing trick you did to get the rod stuck.

Something that I've had some success with is making sure the rifle is secure, clamping a set of Vise Grips on the cleaning rod, then whacking the hell out of the Vise Grips with a hammer to get the rod moving/reversed.

If push comes to shove on this, a trick that someone here on the Hide did years ago to resolve this same issue struck me as absolutely brilliant; ASSuming that the muzzle is threaded, have a machinist make a cap with a closed end... then drill/tap the closed end for a grease zerk. Then use a grease gun to utilize hydraulic pressure to push the rod back out the breech end.

As I recall, the situation where the above approach was taken was one where a variety of other approaches had already failed and it was looking like the barrel might be trashed. However, when it was finally all said and done, no damage had been done, and the barrel shot fine.

Something that I've had some success with is making sure the rifle is secure, clamping a set of Vise Grips on the cleaning rod, then whacking the hell out of the Vise Grips with a hammer to get the rod moving/reversed.

If push comes to shove on this, a trick that someone here on the Hide did years ago to resolve this same issue struck me as absolutely brilliant; ASSuming that the muzzle is threaded, have a machinist make a cap with a closed end... then drill/tap the closed end for a grease zerk. Then use a grease gun to utilize hydraulic pressure to push the rod back out the breech end.

As I recall, the situation where the above approach was taken was one where a variety of other approaches had already failed and it was looking like the barrel might be trashed. However, when it was finally all said and done, no damage had been done, and the barrel shot fine.
I think it was a stuck bullet or something that they tried to knock out with a carbon rod but the carbon splintered and wedged itself between the bullet and the barrel the whole way around.

Not sure how it’ll work with a brush

I would get a solid stainless rod, try to thread it onto the brush, and then beat it free. Don’t try to beat it out with an aluminum or carbon rod.

Last edited:
Yup....oak dowel rod inserted from the muzzle and tap/beat it out. Prolly help to liberally squirt a thin lubricant in there first.

Good luck!

VooDoo

I have used a grease gun to clear barrel obstructions. 10kpsi of controlled pressure gets about anything out.
Just need to build an adapter for the muzzle

1622418735004.jpeg

Reactions: spife7980
308 rod in 6.5
Is the one I remember the most.

is this a 6.5 rod in a 6??

rods are generally a lot narrower in diameter than the barrel one is cleaning.
like @spife7980 mentioned, reversing direction whilst in the barrel is the only way i would guess one would get a brass brush stuck or even using the wrong sized brush for the application. nylon brushes work just as well. getting the right calibre brush to begin with is where it all begins and ends well.

Wow.... like once a month this gets posted.... ive lived almost 40 years and never got a cleaning rod stuck in a barrel.
Well then one can say you've been doing something wrong , you never jammed an 30 cal cleaning rod into a 20 cal barrel ????