• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Whiskey? What would you recommend.

Inogame

Counter of Beans
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
NW Indiana
A guy I work with is refinishing a wooden display case for me as a favor. Wood work is a hobby of his and he's not charging me anything for it.

He's a huge Jack Daniels fan, but I already know he's got several bottles of regular, gentleman jack, ect laying around from when he does stuff for other people.

I wanted to get him a nice bottle of something different but a Jack Daniels fan would enjoy.

When I say he's a fan of Jack, I mean it. I just don't like to do the predictable thing.

I love whiskey but I do not like Jack, so I'm really hoping to get some good suggestions. I've enjoyed the bourbon thread and have tried various different bottles from that so I'm hoping there are some Jack fans that have some good suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Whiskey? What would you recommend.

Jack is a blended sour mash whisky.
These are all small batch straight bourbon whiskys, that have a bit more 'character' & interesting flavor. Your buddy might enjoy trying something a litttle different...

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 yr.

Weller Centennial 10 yr. (if ya can find it)

Baker's 7 yr.

Basil Hayden's 8 year.

Evan Williams Single Barrel vintage(if ya can find it)

Elijah Craig Single barrel 18yr.

Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10 yr.

These are all excllent bourbons that vary in price.

"Pappy" is the schizzle...

Not much of a 'Jack' drinker any more. My personal preferences are Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace and Blanton's (if you're feeling generous).

I'd love to try some Weller but I think it's a special order item in the VA. ABC stores.

If you dont want to rape your wallet and still get a good drink.... I like Bulleit Bourbon. Its the old school, cowboy bourbon.

I am more of a crown man myself, my two favorites are the XR and Cask No. 16...both are well worth the money

Reactions: grants471

I appreciate the suggestions,

I'm hoping for different whiskey that has a similar style to Jack, since the guy loves JD.
I dig Crown too, but I know it's nothing like Jack Daniels. (Which is why I probably love it)

I'm not whiskey-file so I cannot explain more specifically what taste I'm looking for, but I'd imagine I'm going to be looking at other Tenn style whiskeys that use charcoal.

The help is appreciated.

Woodford Reserve is one of my faves outside of jack single barrel or gentleman jack. Or you might ask what his views on scotch are

Are there any other 'sour-mash' small-batch distiller's out there? Is this what you're asking?

Maker's Mark is my current go-to, I used to drink a lot of JD myself. But it is different, I know some other family members that are JD fans like Jim Beam's special blends as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any other 'sour-mash' small-batch distiller's out there? Is this what you're asking? </div></div>

Yeah, that's a more efficient way of asking.

I don't want to get him a bottle of the stuff he always drinks, but I recognize he drinks it because he likes it.

I'm trying to get him something different but familiar.

A small batch distillery would be preferred. Maybe something he isn't really aware of. That is good of course.

If he likes Gentleman Jack, I think he'll like Maker's Mark for an intro into bourbon... both are very smooth and very drinkable.

For overall complex taste, I like Bookers and Bakers

I agree with WiskeyWebber on the Maker's Mark but if you really want to get him something great, give him a bottle of Pendleton. Best damn whiskey ever.

Jamieson is about my favorite bushmills is a close second the honeyversion is also good

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gdvan01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not much of a 'Jack' drinker any more. My personal preferences are <span style="font-weight: bold">Maker's Mark, Buffalo Trace and Blanton's</span> (if you're feeling generous).
</div></div>

THESE!! I couldn't agree more!

I tend to stay with the single maults Tomatain, Oban, GLenlevet, 14 year +
Most of them are aged in used jack barrels if I'm not mistaken.

knob creek and A.Fuente Gran REsrva cigar a

Alway a good way to say "THanks"

I think if you go to the knob creek website you can "personalize" the label... you get to type a few line and then they send it to you in a few weeks.

I didi it once before and it's a neat way to give a bottle as a gift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate the suggestions,

I'm hoping for different whiskey that has a similar style to Jack, since the guy loves JD.
I dig Crown too, but I know it's nothing like Jack Daniels. (Which is why I probably love it)

I'm not whiskey-file so I cannot explain more specifically what taste I'm looking for, but I'd imagine I'm going to be looking at other Tenn style whiskeys that use charcoal.

The help is appreciated.

</div></div>

If your looking for a Tennessee whiskey look at George Dickel Barrel Select

http://www.dickel.com/home.aspx

Good Luck,
Walt

Have you looked at Corsair Triple Smoke? It's a small batch Tennessee whiskey.

Have a good buddy that is Jack all the way. I always favored Crown.

I turned him on to this. I was looking for a little something different and stubbled across Pendelton. Not what he is accustomed to, but I don't see how anyone could not enjoy it. He damn sure hasn't given up the black label, but he makes sure there is a spot for Pendelton as well.

Now, for the heavy. Knob Creek and Makers Mark.

I was able to sample a little something I never have. You don't just get it anywhere, but when you do, you cherish every drop. When you come across it, you will know it. Good luck finding it and good luck getting a hold of some, true flavor.

I like Crown myself.

Forty Creek is good too

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dohnuts58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woodford Reserve is one of my faves outside of jack single barrel or gentleman jack. Or you might ask what his views on scotch are</div></div>

+1

Everyone I've seen try Woodford still prefers it over what they were drinking.

Bought some woodford double oaked last weekend, very woody flavor, nice.

elijah craig 18 nough said

I agree on Maker's Mark. Maker's 46 is nice...

I am a huge bourbon guy. I really like Woodford Reserve and Elijah Craig followed by Maker's Mark. I think any Jack fan would appreciate these.

+1 on Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 yr.. woodford reserve also good.

hard to beat gentleman jack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mirnyx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cedar Ridge or Templeton </div></div>

+1 Templeton

although a liqueur and not a whiskey, i've been on a Disaronno kick lately.

tastes good, warms you up, and "gets you there" quite smoothly.

No ones mentioned it here yet, but I really like Basil Hayden's. Also a fan of Woodford Reserve and yes, Jack as well....

I'll vote Angels Envy 1st (latest kick) then Makers mark, then Makers 46. All great bourbon but the Angels Envy is glass smoooootthhhh..