• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Whistle Pigs - Best Caliber

Bushmaster7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2002
CONUS
I know it depends on distance, etc., but what rounds do you use for whistle pigs, 17HMR, 22LR, 22WMR, or something bigger???

Re: Whistle Pigs - Best Caliber

I settled on a .223 Remington years ago because brass was easy to get vs. the more commercial/civilian calibers. I reload so I can tailor loads to get accurate (more so that factory loads in my opinion) rounds for my rifle, a Remington Model 700 Varmint Special.

I always try for head shots, not necessary unless you want to minimize meat damage, which I do. I've never hit one that got away and I've only hit a little low once, ruinged the whole top end of that sucker. For me its not about laying in one spot to take the shots, it's about seeing one and then trying to sneak up on it as close as possible before taking the shot.

Oh, I use a different bullet than most folks (probably). I use the little 45 grain thin jacketed bullets meant for the .22 hornets, .222's etc. that are supposed to give you increase expansion at lower velocities. According to the reloading manual the muzzle velocity is supposed to be 3600 fps with these bullets, the powder I used and the 24" barrel.

I have used .223 22-250 22 hornet 17hmr but my go to round now is the 17 Remington Fireball. Much less noise and recoil then the 223 but still enough punch to drop them out to 400 yards. All of the ones i have shot with this round have never moved from where they were standing.

In town, in the backyard I use 22LR super colibri and aim for the head.

At the range when they're dumb enough to walk out, I go for whatever I have in my hands. I've gotten several past 200y with the 17 HMR last year.

The 204 Ruger makes them turn into a red mist,

Really, just shoot 'em with whatever you have the most easily accessible at that moment. I shot one at 17 feet with a 200gr XTP from my 10mm carry piece last year in August. I guess he didn't expect me to walk around the dumpster or something...

bohem,

You got Whistle Pigs in Philadelphia city proper, or is that the suburbs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bohem,

You got Whistle Pigs in Philadelphia city proper, or is that the suburbs? </div></div>

I live in teh 'burbs and my parents live in teh country. I've seen them in a couple of the center city parks that are relatively large but there's only a couple. They're fatttt bastids though, since nothing's there to bother them except hippy college kids with cameras and starbucks cups.

I spent the last 5 months living in SC and would regularly shoot squirrels and doves from my 2nd floor window with the super colibri and the pellet rifle.

No whistle pigs are groung hogs.They get the name because if you whistle they'll stop what they are doing and stand up and profile for you......Makes for a dandy target.

For shots from 0-400 yards it is tough to beat a 223. 400 yards is the outer limit. The 223 runs out of steam, and whistle pigs can be a tough little critter. I normally keep my shots under 300 yards unless I am hunting with my AR-with my AR I can deliver a quick double tap. You can get crawl offs with shots past 300 yards, and I personally detest crawl offs.

I realize head shooting is the glamorous way to hunt them. But I am a handicapped guy and can not sneak up on them, so I take them any way I can get them. And since the coyotes are getting more prevalent in my area they do not stand and profile as much as they did in years past.

However if you are limiting your shots to 300 yards or so then the 17's are also tough to beat. That 17 Fireball is a real rocker in a varmint field. I guess it depends on whether you reload or not. Shooting the 17's and 20's can be a lot of fun, and recoil is not there, so you can watch your shots. Those 17's and even the 204 Ruger with a 32 grain pill are on a rope out to 300 yards. Pretty much hold on the target and shoot. the 223 is not quite that flat, but the 223 gives a bit of an advantage wit a little more energy, and a little bigger pill at the longer ranges.

For longer shots I like the 22-250. Mine has a 1in8 Krieger and I shoot the75 grain A-Max. This rig is capable of killing them farther than I can accurately shoot. Tom.

I shoot em with .223's and my .308, both work great, you MUST hit them good though, I wouldn't believe they'd get away from a .308, but I've seen them make to their hole after a less than Ideal shot. Here's a few we've shot.
camping8-8-09014.jpg

bowhunting003.jpg

DSCF4511.jpg

ar15026.jpg

rustycanyon004.jpg

rustycanyon019.jpg

rustycanyon028.jpg

I send about 50 or so every summer to the Big Alfalfa fields in the sky with a Ruger M77 in 220 Swift!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot em with almost everyone of my guns. Don't think there is a bad gun for shooting woodchucks. </div></div>

A man after my own heart!

I use to shoot them exclusively with my RRA AR using 50gr. V-maxes. I started becoming a better shot and hitting them out around 300-400 yds more and started getting crawl offs from them and some of the bigger ones as close as 200 yds. I got a 243 SPS varmint and have only had one crawl off since. Amazingly, that one was hit twice at 425 yds with a 70 gr. Nosler. I think I hit him high both times, we reviewed the video and it looked high, then I nailed another one just after at 500 yds and dropped him in one shot. I've also not had to hold for wind so far out to 500 yds since I started shooting the 243 and the 70 gr. Noslers rarely exit with a MV around 3460 fps. Some don't exit as close as 50yds on body shots. Here's my two primary chuck rifles, the scope on the AR is the one on the M700 also. I also shoot some with the Marlin in 17HMR, but it is usually reserved for areas that need less noise and a closer shot.
PICT0004.jpg

5-29-07002.jpg

6-3-05003.jpg

Good posts and pics. You all are a whistle pigs' worst nightmare, that's for sure. Thanks !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot em with almost everyone of my guns. Don't think there is a bad gun for shooting woodchucks. </div></div>

A man after my own heart! </div></div>

I'll second that. They are also good for bullet testing for "fur friendly" predator hunting loads. The one with the Russian combo gun failed the fur test miserably. That is the exit of a 40gr. v-max out of a 223 at 127 yds. Guns first blood, LOL.

PICT0013.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

338 Edge and Whistle Pigs, now that's radical. Surprised there was anything left at all!!

I like 223, 243, 22-250...but any will do depends on distance of course the "thin skinned" bullets are better to use>
ENCORE 22-250...45gr HP (at the range):
45winhpresults.jpg

243 75gr Vmax...out of a tree:
Copyof243mehog6609.jpg

I blast the fuzzy little bastards with whatever I have on hand.

7x57 and a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

DSC03408.jpg

.270 Win and a Hornady 110gr V-Max.

DSC01653.jpg

.223 Rem and a Nosler 50gr Ballistic Tip.

DSC00083.jpg

DSC01764.jpg

3rd generation 39.00 mail order hand me down 7x57 and a 140gr Nosler Accubond.

DSC03260.jpg

Can't remember what these two bought the farm with but in sure ruined their day in the orchard.

DSC03390.jpg

DSC03420.jpg

Here's a few getting lined up for the big knock down, the first photo's through the spotting scope the second is show time!

DSC02042.jpg

DSC02047-1.jpg

I have played he&& on them with everything I own. smoked a gap 6.5x284 one summer. 308 w lapuas @2900 have been the choice as of late, but with lapuas the only sure bet of DRT is a CNS shot.
They tend to pinhole at any distance,Did manage a 947 yd 2nd round hit on one that is best to date.
Largest # and most violent came via.22 PPC and 40g V Max.

I normally use a 22-250.

062309a.jpg

6-10-09a.jpg

eye-out-6-9-2009.jpg

headless-6-9-2009.jpg

pond-setup.jpg

This one was shot with my Savage muzzleloader.

7-8-09.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
.270 Win and a Hornady 110gr V-Max.

DSC01653.jpg

</div></div>

SMACK, that's a great pic!