• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

White oak barrel vs ?

@Bender, your kit will work dandy. I will be using a BCM upper as I bought a couple when they had some blems a few months back.

Im looking at a 16' middy, 1/8 twist for mine. Just have to finish a little paperwork and tax, then that is next on the list......

I would like the bartlein from Craddock, but budget demands other. Or wait a while longer..... For as much as I get out with this single parent gig, will start with the WOA and move upwards if needed later. Just give this upper to my kiddo......;)

Reactions: TACC and Bender
The WOA is fine, as is similar from Compass Lake, Craddock or even JP..........Craddock & Compass Lake maybe offer more choices & will do it however you want it. WOA & JP, have more or less fixed options.
Nah, you just have to call Jane and chat about it, or Holliger himself. They can quote you whatever you want, as long as it is a -15.

As to the upper, if you have no real restrictions on $$, I'd surely upgrade to a Vltor MUR or Cross Machine Tool UPR for sure, or at a minimum, a BCM which will require a thermal fit............JMHO, I like Aero lowers, not so much love for their uppers for anything more than just a banger. If the upper is not a thermal fit to the barrel extension, then by all means Loctite them to each other.

Tip: Consider it pretty carefully before you go with a WOA or BAT oversized match extension and try to put it in a BCM undersized upper.

It takes a 2x4, a freezer, and a torch. (But no loctite or shims! LMAO!!)

Just don’t ask to rebarrel the receiver. You’d have to cut the front ring to remove the barrel.

Tip: Consider it pretty carefully before you go with a WOA or BAT oversized match extension and try to put it in a BCM undersized upper.

It takes a 2x4, a freezer, and a torch. (But no loctite or shims! LMAO!!)

Just don’t ask to rebarrel the receiver. You’d have to cut the front ring to remove the barrel.

The WOA barrels I've used are all SPR's & no problem getting those extensions into a BCM, Vltor, AD or CMT upper.

But thanks for the tip anyway.

MM

Last edited:
@Bender, your kit will work dandy. I will be using a BCM upper as I bought a couple when they had some blems a few months back.

Im looking at a 16' middy, 1/8 twist for mine. Just have to finish a little paperwork and tax, then that is next on the list......

I would like the bartlein from Craddock, but budget demands other. Or wait a while longer..... For as much as I get out with this single parent gig, will start with the WOA and move upwards if needed later. Just give this upper to my kiddo......;)

Unless you are building a very special gun, the WOA barrel will likely do more than you can, so pretty unlikely you'll need to move up to a Bartlein. Don't forget the ammo part of the equation either.................just sayin'.

MM

Reactions: TACC and natdscott
The WOA barrels I've used are all SPR's & no problem getting those extensions into a BCM, Vltor, AD or CMT upper.

But thanks for the tip anyway.

MM
But did you ask for the 20 TPI 1.000” oversized Competition barrel extension?

If not, you might not HAVE that problem because you might not have one of those extensions.

Reactions: TACC
Unless you are building a very special gun, the WOA barrel will likely do more than you can, so pretty unlikely you'll need to move up to a Bartlein. Don't forget the ammo part of the equation either.................just sayin'.

MM
Sure thing there. Don’t feed these uppers XM155 and expect them to shoot knots. Shit in it = shit out of it.

But if you step up to a GMM, Hornady Match, Mk 262, or Black Hills loading with something “match” that is 68 grains or heavier, you’re going to begin to see the light....

...through the 50-caliber hole in the paper from the middle of your group.

But did you ask for the 20 TPI 1.000” oversized Competition barrel extension?

If not, you might not HAVE that problem because you might not have one of those extensions.

No, I did not ask for an OS / match barrel extensions.

MM

No, I did not ask for an OS / match barrel extensions.

MM

i just measured a couple of barrel extensions that I have right now that are not yet installed.

A WOA extension on an SPR barrel measures 0.9985"
A BA extension measures 0.9975"

A typical (cold) BCM upper usually measures 0.9975-0.998"

0.001-0.002 interference is not a problem.

All JP receivers/barrels are thermo fit & those bitches have to be HOT to get together.

JP Video of thermo fit

JP Rifles Thermo Fit

MM

Last edited:
Reactions: Tono and TACC
I'm using a Colt upper, and the barrel fit is fairly loose. Not a lot of play but, the barrel slides in with no resistance...should that be a major concern, or should I just send it in with Loctite, torque it down, and drive on?

Regarding the Aero upper, my guess is it will be a tighter fit than my Colt. My last build was a 11.5" Rosco barrel in an Aero upper, and I had the barrel in the freezer for an hour before it would go in.

Any insight on break in, if necessary?

Who's CM barrels do you prefer?

MM
Well, I did like Bartlein.

I’m looking for one now, but Bartlein isn’t stocking any more CM, and are limited to the remaining small stock they have.

I’m not really pleased to—yet again—find my business in the marginalized portion, but wgaf. I’m used to needing things outside the majority, so...

Well, I did like Bartlein.

I’m looking for one now, but Bartlein isn’t stocking any more CM, and are limited to the remaining small stock they have.

I’m not really pleased to—yet again—find my business in the marginalized portion, but wgaf. I’m used to needing things outside the majority, so...

Yeah, I agree with all your comments on the CM vs SS, but the problem is finding quality CM barrels that will match the accuracy performance of what's available in SS, barrel life issue aside.

Maybe going to try something from CMC or maybe Criterion...................I dunno where else to look, really.

Iv'e got one SS that is melonited & it seems to shoot OK, have not done an extensive test, but I'm not a high level competitor either, so my needs are probably less demanding than yours, but that may be another route for longevity, but I think the jury is still out on plain SS vs nitrided SS for high level accuracy.

You got any input?

MM

Last edited:
Well, Krieger is still doing it as well as anybody’s ever done.

I just liked the flexibility in gains and directions that Bartlein has. I don’t have to have those though, where I DO have to have CM for some things.

But hey, life is sometimes about compromise. And consequences.

I’ve not used any Nitrided tube. Yet.

What’s the verdict on nitriding threads and having issues with head space and/or loosening?

Well, Krieger is still doing it as well as anybody’s ever done.

I just liked the flexibility in gains and directions that Bartlein has. I don’t have to have those though, where I DO have to have CM for some things.

But hey, life is sometimes about compromise. And consequences.

I’ve not used any Nitrided tube. Yet.

What’s the verdict on nitriding threads and having issues with head space and/or loosening?

I was reading somewhere that nitriding can sort of lock your rifling into place, and the bullet doesn't the rifling the same as it would in a non-nitrided barrel. So the article was talking about how if you wanted to do it properly you'd want to break the barrel in for velocity and then nitride it...

That being said, I don't know alot about how that process effects accuracy or minuet details in precision barrels

Fired my first rounds through a WOA 24" chambered in .20 Practical yesterday. I haven't gotten into real load development yet, I just wanted to get an idea of pressure, function and get it sighted in. If this is an indicator of WOA quality, I'll be doing an 18" SPR .223/5.56 in the future.

Attachments

• 20200502_164907.jpg
    20200502_164907.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 83
Fired my first rounds through a WOA 24" chambered in .20 Practical yesterday. I haven't gotten into real load development yet, I just wanted to get an idea of pressure, function and get it sighted in. If this is an indicator of WOA quality, I'll be doing an 18" SPR .223/5.56 in the future.
Nice group...100 yards?

I have an 18” WOA barrel and matching bolt being shipped to me with a midlength gas system. This will be almost exclusively be shot suppressed unless doing load development thanks to my magnetospeed sporter. Do I need an adjustable gas block or is it more of a convenience? Suppressor is deadair nomad.

Nice group...100 yards?

Yes, @100. I haven't played with seating depth or tweaking the powder charge other than a half-assed OCW looking for pressure. Not much load data other than internet and a single Hornady pdf. I'm thinking there is more potential here.
A friend has done 2 WOA 20 Tacticals and they are hammers.

I have an 18” WOA barrel and matching bolt being shipped to me with a midlength gas system. This will be almost exclusively be shot suppressed unless doing load development thanks to my magnetospeed sporter. Do I need an adjustable gas block or is it more of a convenience? Suppressor is deadair nomad.

Some rifles run good with standard blocks suppressed, others not. All my builds have adjustable blocks..

Some rifles run good with standard blocks suppressed, others not. All my builds have adjustable blocks..

Just makes life so much easier.......................

MM

Last edited:
Well I just ordered my 18" white oak SPR barrel ,rifle gas from brownells. I wanted to order direct but they are back ordered 4-6 weeks from white oak. Brownells said they had it in stock hopefully they do.

I'll report back once I get it all installed and start load development.

I'll also post some.pics up of the barrel with my borescope.

Well I just ordered my 18" white oak SPR barrel ,rifle gas from brownells. I wanted to order direct but they are back ordered 4-6 weeks from white oak. Brownells said they had it in stock hopefully they do.

I'll report back once I get it all installed and start load development.

I'll also post some.pics up of the barrel with my borescope.

I have that same barrel. It's been a fantastic shooter. Easy sub moa performance. I'm planning a 16 inch SDM barrel for my next build. WOA is the easy button for accurate rifle barrels.

WOA is a fantastic option in my opinion. Hard to beat if you are using good ammo

My barrel will be here Monday, super stoked ,
I ended up with the 7 twist kinda wanted 8 twist but whatever.

Are you guys getting good results with the Sierra 69 match king , or the 77 gr tmk ?

Here is like...I dont know...300 WOA 5.56 loads tested in their Predator barrel upper.

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience here. I live in IL, less than 20 miles from WOA as well as Craddock's original location (now in TN) and regret not going with them more often. I'm currently breaking in a Rosco Manufacturing Purebred 16 inch URG, which I intended for a SPR build. I have been very disappointed in the results, but I'm only 50 rounds in. Based on this thread, I'll get my next precision AR upper from WOA.

Has anyone here had great (accuracy) success with Rosco? I might have been tricked by the overwhelmingly positive Youtube reviews . . .

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience here. I live in IL, less than 20 miles from WOA as well as Craddock's original location (now in TN) and regret not going with them more often. I'm currently breaking in a Rosco Manufacturing Purebred 16 inch URG, which I intended for a SPR build. I have been very disappointed in the results, but I'm only 50 rounds in. Based on this thread, I'll get my next precision AR upper from WOA.

Has anyone here had great (accuracy) success with Rosco? I might have been tricked by the overwhelmingly positive Youtube reviews . . .
I’ve got a rosco 11.5”. Probably 2k rounds thru it, I can’t get better than 2-2.5 MOA, but for me that’s good enough trade off for the maneuverability. Don’t think I’d go Rosco for a precision rig when there are other known, albeit more expensive, alternatives.

Reactions: boudreuxman
As previously stated by several posters, you will likely not be disappointed with WOA barrels. I have a MK 2.5 3 Gun 18" 1-8 twist in a SPR type build and it's equally accurate with almost anything over 62gr. Hand-loads with 77gr SMK's are sub MOA all day with little effort. They are a great value for the $$. There always is better and more expensive barrels out there. You need to determine do your needs require the expense of a Match barrel or not? No barrel is going to make you a better shooter. Practice, proper load development and good foundation skills are what will make the difference. I think either way you go you are likely to get good results.

Reactions: boudreuxman