• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Whitetail with a 338 lm

LineofDeparture

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
New Roads, La
Well if you ever were wondering what a 338lm did to a whitetail at 250 yards, then here you go...
I purchased a TRG-42 this summer and had to know what it would do to a whitetail deer.. Just didnt know This pretty buck would be the culprit..i fully intended on shooting a doe with it...oh well

The deer was shot at a 45 degree angle. entered the neck right in front of the shoulder and as you can see there is the exit hole..
HSM factory ammo, 300grn SMK.
smile.gif

The deer never reacted to the shot, For a minute i thought i missed him. Then he ran and dropped about 30 yards off. When i turned him over to check out the exit hole a big chunk of lung fell out.. That is the first time i have ever seen an actual piece of lung fall out of an exit wound. Oh yea the rifle bullet also entered 4-5 inch tree(approx) and went through that. So needles to say my terminal ballistics test of 338lm is now complete on a living creature.. Back to the old trusty 270 for whitetail. Ill save the 338LM for some larger game in the future.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

Re: Whitetail with a 338 lm

too much meat loss unless you were going for the rack, but still. A 270 would be best IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">too much meat loss unless you were going for the rack, but still. A 270 would be best IMO</div></div>

I totally agree, that's why i went back to the 270. Its one of those, "i have spent a small fortune on a rifle so i have to see what it can do" type of things. I know what it does to steel at extended ranges i just needed to see some flesh. I really doubt ill be packing that hog around anymore..

Actually the only thing i lost was the rib cage.. it really didnt damage the shoulder at all. Just a clean .338 hole right though.. All the damage you see was mainly rib cage..

A clean hole probably due to the fact that you used a less expanding match bullet that is intended for targets. Think what would have happened if you used a 220+gr nosler balistic tip or partition would do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A clean hole probably due to the fact that you used a less expanding match bullet that is intended for targets. Think what would have happened if you used a 220+gr nosler balistic tip or partition would do?</div></div>

I knew i was using the incorrect bullet, however it was a clean humane kill.. I agree i should have used Some type of bullet made to expand.. This summer ill develop a hunting load for it with a nosler partition or some type of expanding bullet..I like the 250SGK..but i'm yet to see how it shoots in this rifle..

I did worse when i shot a white tail with an m2 .50bmg at 500yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did worse when i shot a white tail with an m2 .50bmg at 500yards</div></div>
F*&king A! Now we need pics if you have them...That's a must see..

I was at a range on ft benning and one came across when I was on the gun and well it almost cut the deer in half, it exploded the spine and made a horse shoe with its back. I caught hell from a pl but the co and 1sg laughed and the CO ended up shooting a hog with a 25mm bradely at night. that was cool watching a hog explode from a 25mm shell.

Thats not the 338 making the mess its the 300SMK coming apart.
I wouldn't use that bullet at twice the distance.

This might surprise a lot of guys that haven't seen it for themselves, but put a 250gr TSX in a the same deer and you could eat right up to the bullet hole.
The 338s are far cleaner than the 270 or any other of the small bore pea shooters.

The reason for this is 338 bullets are designed for much larger game and don't get too upset with a little deer.

What a waste of meat!!!

X-fan... There are way to many variables to be able to say that 338 is far cleaner than " smaller bore pea shooters"....if the 338 hits bone tsx or not it's going to destroy shit.

Probably more so than a smaller caliber with way way less energy

I would have to say use a 243-30-06 for white tail 338 is a little much in my book unless you are going for the rack only.

I guess that is one way to get the job done. Pretty impressive damage. Did you lose the meat on both shoulders or just the one?

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that is one way to get the job done. Pretty impressive damage. Did you lose the meat on both shoulders or just the one?

KT</div></div> contrary to popular belief i didn't lose the meat on either shoulder or neck. Just the rib cage... and to be honest im not much on Deer ribs anyways...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razerok1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a waste of meat!!!

X-fan... There are way to many variables to be able to say that 338 is far cleaner than " smaller bore pea shooters"....if the 338 hits bone tsx or not it's going to destroy shit.

Probably more so than a smaller caliber with way way less energy </div></div>

Killed lots of game with both and it is my personal observations that tell me the 338 damages a lot less meat than the 270, 30-06, 7 mag etc.
Don't believe me just anyone with a lot of 338 experience.

Square the shoulder of a deer thru bone and all bets are off, but either way the shoulder is smashed to hell. True?
Shoot the shoulder of an elk or moose with a 7mag and it is likely gone. Do the same thing with a 338 and while you will lose some meat you will lose a lot less than something like a 7 or 300 mag.

Shot for shot the 338 will damage a lot less meat I guarantee it.

Ask other 338 users.

my 300 winmag will usualy put an ugly hole comming out. This 338 hit isnt bad but bullet type does make a diffrence. I switched my ammo on my 300wm and the last buck i shot was only 50-60yds away (casue i was walking to check the feeders and saw him)and i had my 300wm shot him trotting away from me. The shot was quartered away and the bullet went in just behind the shoulders and exited thru the neck but the exit and entry were both small.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razerok1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a waste of meat!!!

Killed lots of game with both and it is my personal observations that tell me the 338 damages a lot less meat than the 270, 30-06, 7 mag etc.

Square the shoulder of a deer thru bone and all bets are off, but either way the shoulder is smashed to hell. True?
Shoot the shoulder of an elk or moose with a 7mag and it is likely gone. Do the same thing with a 338 and while you will lose some meat you will lose a lot less than something like a 7 or 300 mag.

Ask other 338 users.</div></div> He is correct, I killed another 8 point 2 days later, same spot, same stand shot very close to the same area, at a very similar angle. Actually wasted more meat with my 270, 130 sgk..... Should have taken pics of that wound cavity.

I shot a whitetail with my .260 loaded with 142smk's from a little less than 100 yards last week, and it looked like I threw a baseball through the damn thing! I couldn't believe it, but it ran about 50 yards before it dropped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razerok1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What a waste of meat!!!

Ask other 338 users.</div></div>

My results exactly. I killed 3 this year via 338 Lap / 285 hornadys. 250, 464, and 529 yards. The damage was underwhelming. The bullets punch right through. Minimal meat damage. The biggest bleeder I shot this year was a buck quarterting-to with a 308/155 scenar
On the other hand, I bet if you could line up 10 of them in front of that 338...

CW

Guess I was wrong about the 338.. I've always stayed away from them cause I thought they would ruin too much meat..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cwshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I bet if you could line up 10 of them in front of that 338...

CW</div></div>
My thoughts exactly.......

`My 7-08 does more damage with 162 Amax than my 375 H&H with 285 Barnes. They both kill deer very dead but the 375 will penetrate like no other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razerok1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess I was wrong about the 338.. I've always stayed away from them cause I thought they would ruin too much meat.. </div></div>

No worries man we are all here to learn.

The cool thing is when the going get tough on larger game the 338 bullets automatically step up the killing power for you. Pretty neat huh?

This is the reason so many in Alaska, British Columbia, and other Northern areas with large game have so many guys packing a 338Win and nothing else.
It just works... Clip clip on Deer to Bang Smash! on on a monster Alaskan Moose.

The one strange thing is deer often bounce 10-30 yards after being shot with a 338Win while real big animals generally not so much.

Strange, but true!
smile.gif

Peace

I am with you. We invest all this money in high speed rigs to shoot steel. Sometimes you just need to know what it will actually do. Drive on.

I have never used a more meat damaging cartridge than the 243. I load up some SST's and hit just behind the shoulder. Unbelievable the damage that was caused by the whitetail bullet. I have never had even near the damage with a 270 or 30-06. So, I wouldn't think a 338LM is overkill if you choose your bullets wisely which you definitely have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coryfls3vvt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess that is one way to get the job done. Pretty impressive damage. Did you lose the meat on both shoulders or just the one?

KT</div></div> contrary to popular belief i didn't lose the meat on either shoulder or neck. Just the rib cage... and to be honest im not much on Deer ribs anyways... </div></div>
Well I know what I'm using next deer season! 300 grains of deer killing goodness!
smile.gif

Worst meat loss I've seen was with .308 and 155 scenars. Antelope was out 700yds and decimated left front shoulder.