• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who’s a good smith?

American Precision Arms in Georgia Jared Joplin great smith and great guy
Have owed two rifles built by Jered and still have one

Crescent Customs in Kansas City, Missouri Tim “Moon” Roberts great smith and great guy Have owned three rifles built by Moon and still have two

Long Rifles Inc-South Dakota- Great Smith and even though I don’t know him personally yet, (heard from friends of mine he is a great guy) I’m trusting him with two of my rifles right now.

I've used a bunch of top smiths around the country, and after experiencing Mark Gordon @ Short Action Customs I only use him. Lots of good smiths though.

It’s been my experience that pretty much anyone with the tools can build a rifle. Just look rifles on this site and their accuracy. Hell, anymore you can buy factory rifles that shoot just as accurate as the top smiths build. I’m not down talking gunsmiths, as I’m having Matt Stewart build my rifle, I’m just saying that pretty much any shop will produce a quality product.

IME a pretty mediocre machinist makes a good gunsmith. Sad to say because there are really skilled individuals out there in the world of engraving and true custom fitting parts and finishing them. Even in the world of standard/CNC machining, some guys (Area 419 comes to mind) get superb surface finish right off the machines.

Unfortunately, though, there are enough guys out there that do shit like an 8th grader with a drill press & dremel that this is a serious topic.

Matthew Stewart does all mine. I like knowing the man with his name on it builds my rifle.

Matt at sawtooth in SLC utah

Bunch on here built things that kick tail
Personal experience with following(off the cuff

G sloan swift creek-hidden gen
Terry cross
Jered joplin
Rws
War rifles
J beanland
Dave tooley
Ts customs
Area 419
Sa customs
w Stuteville
heard good things about matt stewart

way too many to mention and many smaller shops rock too

Last edited:
I’ll go 3rds for Gray @ Swift creek rifles, builds all my rifles, top notch perfectionist

Is there any resource here to find a reputable smith? How do you know if a shop is any good?
William Roscoe built my first rifle and it's fantastic. I doubt he's building any more rifles. Keith at PCR built my second and it's just as good.

L3 Rifles LLC, Jon Slagle, cut his teeth @ Gradous Rifles. A very humble and dedicated builder!