• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events Who’s Shooting 6.5CM for NRLH?

KnowNothing256

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Hey all, got a couple NRL Hunter matches coming up in a little over a month, and I’m wondering about cartridges. I gotta get a barrel spun up for my new Archimedes, it’s gonna be a 6.5 caliber because I’m flush on 140gr HPBTs, and I have the full setup for 6.5CM.

However, it’s pretty marginal for me on power factor. I’m barely making PF, running just over 2700 FPS out of a 24” Hart barrel on my other gun, and don’t want a cold day to drop my MV just enough to knock me out of PF. I don’t want to commit to 147s if I don’t have to, but it’s an option; so is trying to scramble and find 6.5PRC brass/dies and go that route.

Anybody else running 6.5CM? If so, how you doing it? Just running right on the edge, pushing pressure, going with 147s or 156s, longer/faster barrel, or dodging the whole mess with factory ammo?

Reactions: justincase
    My boy and I are both shooting 6.5 CM. I personally think it’s the ideal cartridge for the NRL Hunter matches. You should be fine with 140’s out of a 24” barrel unless you just have a really slow barrel. Keep your ammo tucked in your pants if your concerned about temp sensitivity, but I don’t even think that should be an issue. All you need is an average of 2715 fps with a 140gr. My 24” CF Bartlein is pushing 144gr Berger’s at 2800 easy and I’m not even pushing it hard.

My boy and I are both shooting 6.5 CM. I personally think it’s the ideal cartridge for the NRL Hunter matches. You should be fine with 140’s out of a 24” barrel unless you just have a really slow barrel. Keep your ammo tucked in your pants if your concerned about temp sensitivity, but I don’t even think that should be an issue. All you need is an average of 2715 fps with a 140gr. My 24” CF Bartlein is pushing 144gr Berger’s at 2800 easy and I’m not even pushing it hard.
    Interesting. Which powder and brass?

6.5CM here too. 147 for the most part at around 2750.

A lot of people are doing really well are running 135s, 140, and 147s right on the edge of PF

Reactions: Bigrederic
    Aight, this is good info. Thanks all, I'll stick with this chambering!

147's and 153's are the ticket if you're committed to hand loading. I've ran factory ammo in two matches out of a 20" barrel and at the ranges the hunter matches have, it did not hold me back at all.

I am intending to run 147s out of my 24" Hawk Hill barrel, if my new 26" gun isnt done first. My 24" guns load with 147s is moving at 2750 in Lapua large primer brass with 41.5gr of H4350 with a SD of 6. It is loaded to factory length and produce groups of under a half inch all day long.

This is good info, thanks all. Sounds like a) I'm good with the 6.5CM, and b) I need to spice up the loads a bit.

Appreciate it, onwards and upwards! I've got a 6.5 Bartlein 24" headed my way to spin into a new-to-me Archimedes, so I'll be doing load dev before next month's match; I'll be aiming for 2750-2800 and hopefully get there with no pressure signs.

Reactions: Bigrederic
    This is good info, thanks all. Sounds like a) I'm good with the 6.5CM, and b) I need to spice up the loads a bit.

Appreciate it, onwards and upwards! I've got a 6.5 Bartlein 24" headed my way to spin into a new-to-me Archimedes, so I'll be doing load dev before next month's match; I'll be aiming for 2750-2800 and hopefully get there with no pressure signs.
    Of course every barrel is different, do the load building slow and see what the gun likes... I tried lower nodes and higher nodes. My gun just really liked this load.

That new barrel is going to need about 200 rounds or so before it’s broken in and fully speeds up. I would be looking at it like anything you do much before the 200 round mark is to be considered “rough draft” load development.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
    Shot Nebraska a couple months ago and I will say… a ton of people. No facts to this number, but I would say more than 50%.

Hey all, got a couple NRL Hunter matches coming up in a little over a month, and I’m wondering about cartridges. I gotta get a barrel spun up for my new Archimedes, it’s gonna be a 6.5 caliber because I’m flush on 140gr HPBTs, and I have the full setup for 6.5CM.

However, it’s pretty marginal for me on power factor. I’m barely making PF, running just over 2700 FPS out of a 24” Hart barrel on my other gun, and don’t want a cold day to drop my MV just enough to knock me out of PF. I don’t want to commit to 147s if I don’t have to, but it’s an option; so is trying to scramble and find 6.5PRC brass/dies and go that route.

Anybody else running 6.5CM? If so, how you doing it? Just running right on the edge, pushing pressure, going with 147s or 156s, longer/faster barrel, or dodging the whole mess with factory ammo?
    I use 6.5 CM in all matches from 300 to 1200 ,just keep consistent (anal) with every step loading and should run great with 140s.

I'm running my 18" 6.5CM Sig Cross in the Skills division next week in Laramie. If it all works out well, I may make a longer barrel for it to run in these competitions. I can't quite make PF at 2650fps, but don't see why I couldn't with a 22-24" barrel.

I'm running my 18" 6.5CM Sig Cross in the Skills division next week in Laramie. If it all works out well, I may make a longer barrel for it to run in these competitions. I can't quite make PF at 2650fps, but don't see why I couldn't with a 22-24" barrel.
    If I remember the rules correctly, if you are using a factory rifle (like your Sig Cross) and shooting factory ammo, then you don’t need to worry about power factor. If you replace the barrel on that Sig Cross, then you will fall under the rules for Open-Light division. Does’t matter if you’re still just planning on shooting skills division, but just an FYI in case you were not aware.

If I remember the rules correctly, if you are using a factory rifle (like your Sig Cross) and shooting factory ammo, then you don’t need to worry about power factor. If you replace the barrel on that Sig Cross, then you will fall under the rules for Open-Light division. Does’t matter if you’re still just planning on shooting skills division, but just an FYI in case you were not aware.
    Yeah I spoke with the MD and found out if you are a NRL member, you have access to purchase enough factory ammo to shoot the match at reasonable prices. I just wasn't up to spending $300 on ammo, $100 to become a NRL member, and the other $125 to shoot factory division. At least not for my first NRLH match.