• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Who Are The Fittest Athletes

I finished top 70 in The Iron Man in the 80 s It was grueling but there are may other sports that are harder.
PS The sprint triathlons hurt far worse that long distance. You sit on the crease of anaerobc threshold for 1.5 hours
Got top 25 in international race in Bahamas. 1/2 Iron Man.
Back then I was sponsored. Still have my Bianchi
IMG_20170319_153658_zpsvy3f8ldk.jpg

It still has two staging race stickers from the events

I finished top 70 in The Iron Man in the 80 s It was grueling but there are may other sports that are harder.
PS The sprint triathlons hurt far worse that long distance. You sit on the crease of anaerobc threshold for 1.5 hours
Got top 25 in international race in Bahamas. 1/2 Iron Man.
Back then I was sponsored. Still have my Bianchi
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i1143.photobucket.com\/albums\/n634\/MissionRanch\/IMG_20170319_153658_zpsvy3f8ldk.jpg"}[/IMG2]
It still has two staging race stickers from the events

Bunny,
I hope the camera is playing tricks on my eyes. Your bar tape appears to be Celeste, yet the paint appears darker.
Please tell me you do not own a Bianchi that isn't the one and only color they should be painted.
It's Celeste. If you want a different color, buy a different brand... :^)

Really? Bontrager finishing tape? I'm hurt...

Bunny,
I hope the camera is playing tricks on my eyes. Your bar tape appears to be Celeste, yet the paint appears darker.
Please tell me you do not own a Bianchi that isn't the one and only color they should be painted.
It's Celeste. If you want a different color, buy a different brand... :^)

Really? Bontrager finishing tape? I'm hurt...

My bike is Celeste. It is a Nuovo from the early 80s. It had rat traps which I replaced and moved the brake lever cables inside the bars. The tape is a lighter version of Celeste. Dont know why.the colors are varied.
The bike is original paint. It is 34 years old. Paint may be starting to dull.
Always loved these bikes ever since I saw one. You know your bikes. Good observation !!

Used to look like this

BianchiNuovoRacing_zpsc70a0f6e.jpg

Last edited:
I keep a Campagnolo 36h rear hub on my loading bench.
I ride a Colnago with Campy Record and everything else is carbon. I can't even trip a magnetic gate latch or get a stoplight to change because of the lack of metal on it.
I should get rid of bike #2 and get one like yours. Love the color combination with a nice set of aluminum Campy

Drugs not withstanding, just about any grand Tour cyclist. Some of those guys ride or at least try to with broken collarbones, wrists or what-have-you. Imagine going an average of at least 20mph on a bike for 6 hours.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tDb-U35oBFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I keep a Campagnolo 36h rear hub on my loading bench.
I ride a Colnago with Campy Record and everything else is carbon. I can't even trip a magnetic gate latch or get a stoplight to change because of the lack of metal on it.
I should get rid of bike #2 and get one like yours. Love the color combination with a nice set of aluminum Campy

Sounds like you have posted a lot of miles. Centuries, races, tours. What have you been up to?? I averaged 18 in the iron man for 112. Killed me for the run. Faded to 66th
Those days are long gone.

I think the half Ironman stuff has fallen to the yuppie fad trends. I have a few family members who have done a few and they're not even close to physical superiority. Usually close to last in their age groups and enough Facebook fanfare and vehicle stickers to let everyone know how awesome they are. I've raced BMX and motocross since I was 4. The top guys in motocross have done lung tests and they were only second to soccer professionals in cardiovascular endurance. A pro GNCC racer (enduro) posted his heart rate tracker for a 3hr race. Max rate was like 193bpm with an average of 180.

I agree with the dirt bike stuff completely. But then again that is for the top 15 guys. I would think the same goes for Triathlons. There is a huge difference between finishing one vs actually racing for a top 10 spot.. The guys in top 10 are pushing very very hard. Their heart rates will be up there and sustained.

I've heard that pound for pound, horse jockeys are considered among the strongest and most fit athletes. I guess pulling the reins in on a race horse who wants to go all out would tend to get you strong.

My guess would be wrestlers and gymnasts. As a grappler, I've found few things that will burn you out faster. High aerobic and anaerobic exercise at the same time.

My guess would be wrestlers and gymnasts. As a grappler, I've found few things that will burn you out faster. High aerobic and anaerobic exercise at the same time.

BINGO. I forgot wrestling. Well conditioned athletes

The leaders dropped me like I was tied to a post. They hammered. F'n drones that dont have any nerve endings or feel pain.

You seem to know a bit about pace. Whats up???

Sounds like you have posted a lot of miles. Centuries, races, tours. What have you been up to?? I averaged 18 in the iron man for 112. Killed me for the run. Faded to 66th
Those days are long gone.

I put a tpn of miles in starting late July 2012. My goal was to do a century ride by early may the next year.
A group of us from Just Ride Bicycles here in Riverview went to do an MS 150. We averaged >24mph for the first 40 miles. One of our guys (A triathelete) cracked at that point. I broke off with him so the younger guys could crush the rest of the 100.
The guy I stayed with couldn't hold a decent pace on his own. I asked him if he wanted me to just take the front and so I did.

We missed one turn that added 20 miles to the ride. (The return from the miss was a slow false flat...)

Once back on track we picked up a few slower riders, but they were 50 miler riders at about a 16mph pace.
My co rider had me stop at every rest station and in the end, my pace was 18.5 for 120 miles.
We rested up and did the 75 mile option the next day at a 22mph average.
All in all, It was a good time. And, for a 49yr old, I think I did alright.
I met my wife in 2014 through our riding friends and slowed down the pace and frequency of my rides.
I still love to ride, but I don't even climb on it once a month anymore. I have not only a desire to start again, but a need as well. Being 12lbs heavier sucks for my back problems, and I'm just not as fit anymore.
Time to climb back on and lose this weight

You aint ever wrestled a calf for castration or branding or been in a pen to check on a sick bull or big sow if you dont think its athletic. Try running in boots with 3 lbs of shit and mud on them in a messy pen with a pissed off sow chasing ya, see how high bench or squat numbers help.
Hell, rodeo is a popular sport and its has steer wrestling which is a simplified version. See if you had a ranch and had to do that for 3-5 days every spring, most wouldnt survive.

Then there is the fun of fried nuts and cold beer. Helluva good time.

Imagine FM chasing some Nebraska hiefer around wanting to show her his "plow". Bet he moves quick.

I am a fan of fitness. Guys and gals who have to be fit
for a living, even if they dont always look it, are tough.

As far as athletes as most would define them.
hockey, mountaineers, adventure racers are up there.

I was the "clamp man" for many years.
They aren't usually cooperative when the clamps lock down lol.

R

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tDb-U35oBFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finally, someone discerns the OP's strange tastes. Might we have brought this exercise to its terrible but unavoidable climax?

And what's the fitness forum for anyway?

Last edited:
I put a tpn of miles in starting late July 2012. My goal was to do a century ride by early may the next year.
A group of us from Just Ride Bicycles here in Riverview went to do an MS 150. We averaged >24mph for the first 40 miles. One of our guys (A triathelete) cracked at that point. I broke off with him so the younger guys could crush the rest of the 100.
The guy I stayed with couldn't hold a decent pace on his own. I asked him if he wanted me to just take the front and so I did.

We missed one turn that added 20 miles to the ride. (The return from the miss was a slow false flat...)

Once back on track we picked up a few slower riders, but they were 50 miler riders at about a 16mph pace.
My co rider had me stop at every rest station and in the end, my pace was 18.5 for 120 miles.
We rested up and did the 75 mile option the next day at a 22mph average.
All in all, It was a good time. And, for a 49yr old, I think I did alright.
I met my wife in 2014 through our riding friends and slowed down the pace and frequency of my rides.
I still love to ride, but I don't even climb on it once a month anymore. I have not only a desire to start again, but a need as well. Being 12lbs heavier sucks for my back problems, and I'm just not as fit anymore.
Time to climb back on and lose this weight

That is quite a jaunt and still average 18. I would be curious to see what would happen if you stayed with the young bucks. Might have just pulled off a straight 100. Do you mountain bike???
I did one MB race but didnt enjoy it -- Wasnt my thing.
Spring is coming. Time to get the bike out and set some goals.

I used to mountain bike when I lived in Idaho.
Left there and went back to the Black Hills of SD, but the bike stayed in the basement.
Spent most of my time killing critters and shooting rocks at extended ranges.

Grew up racing BMX in and around Tampa, Florida . That was my calling, but never got a good sponsor, so I stopped once I was 18. I won nearly every race I entered, but I guess it wasn't meant to be my job.

I retired from the AF in 04 and waited to do anything until I was fully on the D list to try getting back in condition.
To my surprise, it came quickly. In less than a year I had a resting heart rate of 37. Even though i was almost 50, I could ride a 178 HR. Maintaining 182 would crack me though.
The last race I entered was a BMX race in 1986. I was stationed in England at the time and was racing with a friend that I had met over there.
The conditions were soupy wet and I crashed out in the main. Slid about 75' in the slop. That's when I decided I was getting too old for that shit.

Riding is awesome with our weather.
Oh, to answer your question, yeah, I think we could have maintained 22mph for the distance with the pace line we had.
I had a 18.5 with all the slow downs, stops, drinks and piss breaks in the last 80 miles. And, I did all of the front work

WOW Nice resume' Also nice list of places to live. So on a scale from 1-10 how is your conditioning right now. What will it be mid summer??

WOW Nice resume' Also nice list of places to live. So on a scale from 1-10 how is your conditioning right now. What will it be mid summer??

13 lbs heavier (205) and will average 16 for 25-30 miles. I might ride once a month...
Starting to look like one of the old fat guys that show up at 8:00 on Saturdays.

I really have to get back on it and get my condition back.
Around here, winter, summer doesn't really matter. It's easy to ride in "winter". No snow, no rain, just cooler weather. There were only a few days where it was somewhat uncomfortable, but nothing to make it too cold to ride.
I've just gotten lazy and find it's easier to go fishing in my Gheenoe. My riding partners roll out at 7:30, and I'm in the middle of dropping off my stepson to school at that time.
Piss poor excuses. That's all it is.

Get your step son a bike. Teach him the beauty and challenge of training recovery, discipline, strategy, sprints, hill climbing with reserve for the top, spin cadence, nutrition. Put all that good stuff you earned to work. Take wifey out as well. Great fun.
Then once a week go torch yourself on a 25 miler that makes you not want to walk up steps the next day. You will feel like you recovered a favorite lost toy from the attic.
Take some Daddy time!

Get your step son a bike. Teach him the beauty and challenge of training recovery, discipline, strategy, sprints, hill climbing with reserve for the top, spin cadence, nutrition. Put all that good stuff you earned to work. Take wifey out as well. Great fun.
Then once a week go torch yourself on a 25 miler that makes you not want to walk up steps the next day. You will feel like you recovered a favorite lost toy from the attic.
Take some Daddy time!

The youngest of the three (10yrs) is hell bent on being an NBA star, and he's good. He's also very dedicated to his passions. He has a nice Trek and likes to ride.
I actually met my wife through my cycling buddies and she has a nice carbon Trek 5.2.

We had lunch together today and was actually talking about getting on the bikes for a 25 mile ride this weekend.
For me, I need to get a dozen 25 mile rides in and then start adding more and get back to where a solo 75-80 is a good ride.
I would like to get Alex out on some "hills" and see what he can do.
Last year, before he broke his tibia, he ran a 5K in 14:23 at 9yrs old. I couldn't have done that.
The kid has Some heart

The youngest of the three (10yrs) is hell bent on being an NBA star, and he's good. He's also very dedicated to his passions. He has a nice Trek and likes to ride.
I actually met my wife through my cycling buddies and she has a nice carbon Trek 5.2.

We had lunch together today and was actually talking about getting on the bikes for a 25 mile ride this weekend.
For me, I need to get a dozen 25 mile rides in and then start adding more and get back to where a solo 75-80 is a good ride.
I would like to get Alex out on some "hills" and see what he can do.
Last year, before he broke his tibia, he ran a 5K in 14:23 at 9yrs old. I couldn't have done that.
The kid has Some heart

The kid sounds tough and gifted. Sub 5's for 3.1 is blazing. I am 60 and still very competitive but my body is not allowing me to perform anywhere close to what I would like. I have a hip surgery coming up soon and that will allow me to get closer to where I would like to be. Comes down to time and training after rehab. I am up for it. White water ans MX are my passions. Without them my life is diminished somewhat. All my physical goals are directed in that attainment. Time will tell. .

Hope the hip replacement goes well for you and you get back on track right away.
Recovery after any surgery sucks.
When I had my meniscus repaired the original time to climb back on was six weeks. At the two week point, the doc said cycle how you want, just don't run yet.
Running wasn't going to be a problem, I don't do it.
Being in great condition really helped with the recovery and healing.
Stay active and stay loose.

Thread sidetrack: With all you bicycle enthusiasts here, I have a carbon fiber bike with a chip. Any links to site to help me with a DIY carbon fiber repair? Or is this best done by an experienced pro? I'm in SoCal if anyone has a place to refer me to. Thanks.

ballet dancers

I danced (mostly modern) at university. I was very strong (and have indeed pressed a woman over my head in a performance) with very very little body fat, and a lot of endurance. I'm sure the top ballet dancers are incredibly fit. But I still don't think there is a definitive answer to the OP's question.

Thread sidetrack: With all you bicycle enthusiasts here, I have a carbon fiber bike with a chip. Any links to site to help me with a DIY carbon fiber repair? Or is this best done by an experienced pro? I'm in SoCal if anyone has a place to refer me to. Thanks.

Calfee has been the go to

Is it a chip on the top coat or a chip out of the fibers?
Top coat you can do yourself.
if it's the fibers, it needs x-ray to verify the extent of damage

I'd have to say rodeo bullfighters and bullriders in that order. I've done both and it's a hell of a lot of work to keep in shape for both!!

I'm guessing you guys had different PT standards because fifteen or so years ago I ran 8 miles a day on easy days and you were in remedial PT if you had a 270-290 my unit; less than that and you'd be a POG with a blue cord. Half marathons weren't uncommon for morning PT. I wasn't a ranger and the SF guys were all fat, so I'd have to say the standard infantry. May be more high speed, but we were more high, uh, speed. You also have the metric that you'll lose weight with less than 6000 calories per day, so that's a great comparison. How many calories do they burn? These athletes? Top one will be it. Sumo take in a lot but retain a lot too, you may not think it but they are tough as shit.

Cross country skiing is likely one of the most enduring sports. Way longer than a marathon. Snow shoes in twenty foot drifts will smoke that ass too, so did running on the beach.

I'm guessing you guys had different PT standards because fifteen or so years ago I ran 8 miles a day on easy days and you were in remedial PT if you had a 270-290 my unit; less than that and you'd be a POG with a blue cord. Half marathons weren't uncommon for morning PT. I wasn't a ranger and the SF guys were all fat, so I'd have to say the standard infantry. May be more high speed, but we were more high, uh, speed. You also have the metric that you'll lose weight with less than 6000 calories per day, so that's a great comparison. How many calories do they burn? These athletes? Top one will be it. Sumo take in a lot but retain a lot too, you may not think it but they are tough as shit.

Cross country skiing is likely one of the most enduring sports. Way longer than a marathon. Snow shoes in twenty foot drifts will smoke that ass too, so did running on the beach.

awesome post and the difference between winning and losing was killer...

Soccer?
Oooh, oweee, you kicked my padded shin guard and now I have to lay on the ground holding my knee.
Ouchee, oohwee, mommy my toe hurts.
Make those crying bastards play some rugby or something. I fucking hate soccer crying.
FIFA. Stands for Fake Injury For Attention