• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who are your favorite vendors for pre-fit barrels?

Been waiting for a reply from Joe about your 7.7 twist 338 Rock Creek cut rifle blanks... waited a week and then replied to my own email to bump it up in his box. All I wanted to know is whether people have had any luck with cup and core in that twist or if it would be a solids-only barrel? Do you have any feedback from shooters? I know the answer theoretically - was hoping for real world...
I've seen it shoot 300gr Hybrids fine from a 338 NM
Sorry for the delay in reply, I will make a note to mention it to Joe. This week was pretty horrendous to get things out.

Reactions: Chickentoast
Straight jacket did my barrel for a impact 737r, excellent work

Here's a placeholder post. I'm working on something to help out everyone with prefit info, where it's through PVA or Straight Jacket or Southern Precision/Bugholes or another shop that's making prefits. I'll work on the document over the next day or so

Awesome - all you guys are so busy, and all do great work - makes sense to collaborate to some degree. Separate q - is PVA going to have a carbon option again soon?

Been waiting for a reply from Joe about your 7.7 twist 338 Rock Creek cut rifle blanks... waited a week and then replied to my own email to bump it up in his box. All I wanted to know is whether people have had any luck with cup and core in that twist or if it would be a solids-only barrel? Do you have any feedback from shooters? I know the answer theoretically - was hoping for real world...
I’ve shot a good bit of 300 OTM’s in a 1-8 at 2900 so a 1-7.7 should be GTG at Norma and lapua velocities.

I was looking at that barrel but wanted a longer finished length.

This is a really informative thread. Looking for a shouldered prefit for an ARC Nucleus I picked up at the Black Friday sale. Prefits for ARC’s don’t seem as prevalent as Bighorns, etc. Want to do a carbon barrel for lightweight hunting build. Been shooting forever but this’ll be my first B/A to assemble myself. Anyone care to point me in a particular direction for that?

I’ve shot a good bit of 300 OTM’s in a 1-8 at 2900 so a 1-7.7 should be GTG at Norma and lapua velocities.

I was looking at that barrel but wanted a longer finished length.

What did you go with? That's for your Edge case? I'm thinking Sherman Mega (WSM improved) for this one, so less powder. Planning a short carbon for a light hunter and a long steel for the chassised Tikka in the same case.

This is a really informative thread. Looking for a shouldered prefit for an ARC Nucleus I picked up at the Black Friday sale. Prefits for ARC’s don’t seem as prevalent as Bighorns, etc. Want to do a carbon barrel for lightweight hunting build. Been shooting forever but this’ll be my first B/A to assemble myself. Anyone care to point me in a particular direction for that?
Shoulder prefits- PVA, straight jacket, deep south tactical, fisher t&c preferred barrels and I'm sure a few others. Savage barrel nut there is more options out there x-caliber mcgowen crownridge barrel works

Reactions: fanninland
What did you go with? That's for your Edge case? I'm thinking Sherman Mega (WSM improved) for this one, so less powder. Planning a short carbon for a light hunter and a long steel for the chassised Tikka in the same case.
Have you seen the numbers he's claiming out of that case wow. It holds a few more grains of powder but out runs the normal 300 wsm by 100 to 200 feet

Have you seen the numbers he's claiming out of that case wow. It holds a few more grains of powder but out runs the normal 300 wsm by 100 to 200 feet

5+ grains, looks like 338 benefits the most from an efficiency perspective, especially in a short barrel, and the 7 is going 28 nos speeds in a mid-action. Will be interesting to see where the 30 will be with a 215-220, but I already have a 308 and a RUM.

5+ grains, looks like 338 benefits the most from an efficiency perspective, especially in a short barrel, and the 7 is going 28 nos speeds in a mid-action. Will be interesting to see where the 30 will be with a 215-220, but I already have a 308 and a RUM.
It seems great on paper but not sure the velocity is going to be that great in that small of a case. 195 3100? Wow lol

It seems great on paper but not sure the velocity is going to be that great in that small of a case. 195 3100? Wow lol

I don't care about the top speeds, just looking at capacity and efficiency ratios for given COAL and barrel lengths. I'll run it (338) a node or two lower than max. I'm definitely on the short fat bandwagon, though. Wish there was a .588 short fat...

Reactions: Schw15
I don't care about the top speeds, just looking at capacity and efficiency ratios for given COAL and barrel lengths. I'll run it (338) a node or two lower than max. I'm definitely on the short fat bandwagon, though. Wish there was a .588 short fat...
The mega looks so tempting though even 197 smk 2950 in a short package. Easy mag fed. For hunting they seem great as well. I just not totally convinced on his numbers usually but the design is great

The mega looks so tempting though even 197 smk 2950 in a short package. Easy mag fed. For hunting they seem great as well. I just not totally convinced on his numbers usually but the design is great

Well, I'll probably have a 338 reamer, and it might be hanging out over at PVA, if you wanted to spin one. Rich said he wasn't going to rent the Mega reamers - although that might change if enough people don't buy them.

Well, I'll probably have a 338 reamer, and it might be hanging out over at PVA, if you wanted to spin one. Rich said he wasn't going to rent the Mega reamers - although that might change if enough people don't buy them.
Yeah I seen that. He said it was a pain I couldn't imagine the headache though. I need to look at that 338

Yea
Design is nice but he seems to advertise best case velocities
Wonder what the 338 mega would do with a 255 solid?

Yea
Design is nice but he seems to advertise best case velocities
Wonder what the 338 mega would do with a 255 solid?
Yeah I think best best case scenario on those I could be wrong but love the case design

^Yes, marketing is always geared to the lowest common denominator - 0-60 times in cars... for people who know nothing about cars. My 6.5 Max shoots under 1/2 with anything from 57-67 grains, and 57, 63, and 66 frequently under 1/4. I like the ability to have different projectiles at different velocities for different purposes out of the same barrel, shooting well. I'm hoping the 338 will afford the same adjustability, from 250-300 grains, jacketed and solids. Minimal powder / component use to take advantage of particular BC and terminal energy profile - relative goal anyway.

Reactions: Schw15
^Yes, marketing is always geared to the lowest common denominator - 0-60 times in cars... for people who know nothing about cars. My 6.5 Max shoots under 1/2 with anything from 57-67 grains, and 57, 63, and 66 frequently under 1/4. I like the ability to have different projectiles at different velocities for different purposes out of the same barrel, shooting well. I'm hoping the 338 will afford the same adjustability, from 250-300 grains, jacketed and solids. Minimal powder / component use to take advantage of particular BC and terminal energy profile - relative goal anyway.
I love the design specially the new case. Honestly if I could dream up a case that's almost what I would of done. Run it in long action to mag feed long bullets. I have a 7mm blank ready at Smith need to decide what chamber thought 7 lrm but maybe mega give sherman one more chance

I love the design specially the new case. Honestly if I could dream up a case that's almost what I would of done. Run it in long action to mag feed long bullets. I have a 7mm blank ready at Smith need to decide what chamber thought 7 lrm but maybe mega give sherman one more chance

My Tikka is in a Vision chassis with MDT 3.56" mag. Feeds Max case perfectly. Mega should be even smoother with 1/4 inch more COAL.

Seems the Mega is to 7mm what the Max is to 6.5 - plus even more potential for crossover.

Awesome - all you guys are so busy, and all do great work - makes sense to collaborate to some degree. Separate q - is PVA going to have a carbon option again soon?
I'm working on doing a carbon wrapped option through a collaboration with a company. We aren't wrapping in house, filling out the options for Osprey blanks is coming first. I doubt we'll ever wrap in house.

As far as collaborating with other chamber cutters my post isn't aimed at announcing any sort of collaboration there. It's more to fill in the knowledge and understanding gaps that I consistently find when speaking with customers. An aim to proactively answer questions and clear up misconceptions about the idea of a prefit. There is a lot of good info out there and a lot of bad. Hopefully this will help everyone all the way around the table.

You are harder pressed to find a bad barrel cutter now days. They are way fewer than there are good smiths but they do still exist.. Best thing to do now is, find a gunsmith that you will enjoy building a relationship with.

The only 4 I would use for an impact is:

Stutesville, LRI, SPA/Bugholes or Hawk Hill.

No reason to not use one of those 4 IMO. You will end up with an exceptional barrel, everytime. Waits are minimal as well from same day shipping to 8-10 weeks for SPA.